✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Am I missing something?

heelsrule1988

The very instant I heard this song for the first time, I was blown away. This is one of the most beautiful songs they've ever made. So I am equally as blown away at all the negativity I'm seeing here. How can you guys slam this song so badly? The feeling I get when I hear it... wow. It's just a powerful, emotional song. Mainly the first half of it... the first half of the song is what makes it. Usually you don't say that about a good song, but Paradise is the exception. What a beautiful song they've made.

When I think about it, though... I'd say a lot of the hate is not necessarily directed towards the song itself, but the different sound that it has. Everyone's used to old-school Coldplay, and they don't like this new sound. This reminds me exactly of when Bob Barker left The Price Is Right (this may sound silly, but stay with me for a second). I post on a fan site for the show, and a lot of people were very unhappy when the show changed once Drew Carey took over as host. Yet at the same time, there were just as many people that liked the new direction of the show. My thought on TPIR's current state is that I'm not on either side... I like some things that they've done, and I don't like some things that they've done. But I don't mind some change at all... and TPIR is a show that I've grown up with. It was sad to see Bob go, but we knew it was going to happen eventually. The show had to move on, and it did. That's okay. It's a similar deal with Coldplay's current state... do you honestly think they could have stayed the same forever? Yes, we can all agree that the first three albums produced some great stuff. But I would never have wanted them to keep making album after album sounding that way. So I think there's nothing wrong with them wanting to head down a different road... and personally, I love it. They sound great, if you ask me.

One more note... I said "in their first three albums" earlier because we can all agree that the Viva era was their first attempt at change. Yet nobody seemed to complain about it. Why? How come everyone liked that change, but hates this change? That's something that confuses me even more.

One more note... I said "in their first three albums" earlier because we can all agree that the Viva era was their first attempt at change. Yet nobody seemed to complain about it. Why? How come everyone liked that change, but hates this change? That's something that confuses me even more.

It's because the songs from Viva sounded like a logical musical progression for the band, especially after the misstep of X&Y. However, the recent output sounds overproduced and frankly, similar to Top-40 songs.

I was and still am blown away by Paradise and baffled by the negative reaction. Why less negative reaction to Viva? I think it´s because it was still an album on the fence so to speak: Coldplay were moving into a new direction but did not get there yet (Also confirmed by what we heard in the interviews post-Viva). Now with MX I feel they got where they wanted to go: they surely seem very excited about this album. So I think it´s a case of people maybe expecting Viva to be followed by an album that was going to take a different direction than what MX took.

am i the only one who liked x&y?

I have very fond memories associated with X&Y (my first Coldplay concert for instance), so it will always be a special album for me. I don´t listen much to it right now, but that´s mostly because I always tend to listen most to the newest material on rotation :)