✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[28-Aug-2012] Coldplay @ Parken Stadium, Copenhagen, Denmark

Jenjie

Yesterday was probably one of the best days of my life!!

They played at Parken, which is Denmark's National Football Court. At the entrance we all got a bracelet in different colors, during the show all the bracelets lightened up, and the entire court was in ecstasy of lightning and joy of Coldplay!

During the concert, which took about 98 minutes, Chris Martin and the band took us through their universe! And I Can't say anything else but that I loved it, if they play in Copenhagen again, I would be pleased to buy another ticket!

http://thejizzlejazz.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/coldplay-in-copenhagen.html

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to the most amazing Coldplay concert in Parken last Tuesday. They're on tour with their most recent album, "Mylo Xyloto", and these favorite Brits of mine were gracious enough to visit Denmark for a concert that, well, blew my mind.

First of all, everyone was given a little bracelet, that lit up during the concert. In effect, it was as if 50 thousand small, colored stars were specked around the audience, shining in blue, pink, yellow, white and green. It was like standing in a colored galaxy; Coldplay's galaxy.

On my tour of planet Mylo Xyloto, I stood very close to the stage; our space was amazing, the crowd was wild, and Chris Martin stood only a meter from me at times! And when songs like "Hurts like Heaven", "Paradise" and "Clocks" were played, everyone danced, jumped and sang along like they had only listened to Coldplay all their lives. The show was amazing; the blazing lights, the on-stage canvases that displayed videos of the band, the audience and colored animations, confetti fired all over the crowd, and best of all, the amazing performance of the band. To put it mildly, I wasn't disappointed. And when "Us Against the World" and "Viva la Vida" were played, I couldn't help but feel a little teary.

It was worth every penny, every minute of waiting (5 hours) and listening to the horrible warm-up bands (Marina and the Diamonds can not sing a proper, in-pitch falsetto for half an hour!), every agony in my tired legs, every jump, scream and loud singing that wrecked my voice.

Oh, Coldplay. Come again soon!

[thanks Caroline Roseberry]

http://iamroseberry.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/coldplay.html

40+Coldplay.jpg

46+Coldplay.jpg

47+Coldplay.jpg

48+Coldplay.jpg

49+Coldplay.jpg

51+Chris+Martin.jpg

53+Coldplay.jpg

54+Coldplay.jpg

55+Coldplay.jpg

56+Coldplay.jpg

58+Coldplay.jpg

Great pictures, and good re-reviews. :cheesy:

I'm not good at writing re-reviews, but it was an amazing night. I was close to stage and it was awesome!

I'm trilled that they played LIP,WS and HLIBYH. I didn't expected to hear them. :escaping:

hvad er LIP ??? eller mente du Lovers In Japan? ; )

Ok, some pictures. I forgot how to insert youtubevideos but I wrote a full review on my blog. I don't want to post all photos here since they are so many, if you'd like to and also read a full review with photos & videos you could open http://linneah.se/2012/09/01/coldplay-parken-stadium-copenhagen-28-augusti/ you could just go to Google translate and read it all in your own language if you'd like to :)

IMG_2267.jpg

DSC_4903.jpg

DSC_4940.jpg

DSC_4942.jpg

DSC_5017.jpg

Thank you lovely fans. Thank you Oxfam and sweet Rachel. Thank you Copenhagen. Thank you roadies. Thank you Coldplay! <3

What I liked most about Parken is that wow, what an amazing sound! Just listen to the echo! But sad that you couldn't enjoy the fireworks as much as on other arenas since the stage had roof (!)... I also liked Chris changing t-shirt infront of me haha :D

Of course. Every song is absolutly perfect. But I really like Lovers in Japan, the acoustic Speed of sound and Don't let it break your heart. Yes, I love all the others when everyone sings and jumps, Chris goes crazy... but these 3 songs, after 7 concerts I think they are so over the top - in a GOOD way :)

http://jyllands-posten.dk/kultur/popmusik/concerts/article4823391.ece

50,000 people were part of a colourful party

Rock concert: Coldplay’s many songs that invite to communal singing ensured that the atmosphere was at the boiling point at a sold-out Parken Stadium

Frontman Chris Martin was the charismatic center of the sold-out concert during which large quantities of confetti were let off and the audience sang along to many of the songs (text below picture of Chris singing)

PARKEN, COPENHAGEN:

COLDPLAY

Tuesday night (28 August 2012)

++++ (4 stars out of 6 stars)

By Peter Schollert ([email protected]) / translated and edited by Nancy Boysen

Few pop and rock bands master the stadium-sized act. Coldplay does.

Because even though every moment at Parken Stadium was certainly not totally strong, the British rock quartet came up with a number of quality songs that seemed tailored to a sold-out show in front of 50,000 enthusiastic people that were willing to sing along, belt out the songs, clap their hands and vent their enthusiasm.

You would have to be a really negative soul if you did not sing along to “Yellow”, “In My Place”, “the Scientist” and “Fix You”. And with “God Put A Smile upon Your Face”, “Violet Hill”, “Viva la Vida” and “Clocks”, the singer Chris Martin and co. played some big, captivating rock hymns.

What was less impressive: There were pop creations that - using half-modern dance beats - were not really able to impress, and then there was that kind of songs that could mainly be regarded as anonymous followers that should lead the way to stronger times.

New numbers were weak

It is thought-provoking that particularly numbers off the latest album “Mylo Xyloto” were weak. It was unfortunate because the setlist for this tour is based on songs off the latest album.

But “Major Minus” seemed like an attempt to sound as the stadium rock champions, the Irish rock band U2, while “Don’t Let It Break Your Heart” seemed like a shambles of too big ambitions.

Coldplay has toured Europe and the USA for almost one year with concerts at stadiums and at big indoor sports arenas. Inbetween there have been a few respites, and the concert at Parken Stadium was the first of a number of shows in Europe after the band’s more than 20 concerts in the USA during the summer.

Among the European rock groups only U2 and the Rolling Stones can be regarded as bigger concert attractions globally. But Coldplay is closer than ever before to the two mastodons, and the quartet has achieved that position within 10 years.

What has characterized the British band from the beginning are catchy songs that have stuck in your memory and have become hits that have paved the way for the commercial success of the albums as well.

Even though the sales of music have generally declined alarmingly over the past 10 years, Coldplay is noted for an impressive record sales of more than 55 million albums.

Both girls and boys are fans

A crucial explanation for Coldplay’s success is the fact that the British rockband has managed to appeal to boys and girls and men and women almost equally, and even though some people are no longer fans because the London-based group does not play enough rock’n’roll, Coldplay has managed to attract lots of new, young fans.

That this is the case could be studied at Parken Stadium. There were lots of teenagers, but there were also many men and women at the age of 20 to 50 years – and even older than that. People at the age of 50+ also liked Coldplay. The band demonstrated great confidence by starting the concert with fireworks. Normally fireworks would be used as an explosive conclusion to a concert – and fireworks were also used at the end of the concert.

Coldplay’s predominant energy resource, Chris Martin, was at the top of his game from the very beginning. He ran back and forth onstage, and when he did not sing, he used his vocal forces trying to involve the audience further.

Strong songs crucial

If he is like that at home is a question that his wife, the American actress Gwyneth Paltrow, would be able to answer. But as frontman and lead singer, Chris Martin is worth gold for the 3 other band members who – at Parken Stadium – concentrated on being musicians. One might have wished that they had participated much more when Coldplay moved from the main stage and closer to the audience.

Instead, these moments of proximity appeared to be unnecessary gimmicks, and we would easily have been content with all that confetti that was let off and the colourful balloons that were thrown out to the audience that also contributed to transforming the Parken Stadium to one big pulsing multi-coloured installation by means of the neon-wristbands that were handed out at the entrance.

But Coldplay must not end up as a band hiding a creative idle running in more or less inventive effects. The songs have created their success, and with the musical signs of weakness during the show the British band must make an effort the next time they are recording an album.

POLITIKEN’S REVIEW OF COLDPLAY’S CONCERT AT PARKEN STADIUM IN COPENHAGEN ON TUESDAY, 28 AUGUST 2012

Gigantic show made Coldplay look like extras

The megaband lived up to the role as favourites at Parken Stadium, but grotesque quantities of confetti and roaring guitars made the music drown a bit in noisy fun (horseplay)

By Pernille Jensen / translated and edited by Nancy Boysen

Picture of Chris singing.

Text below the picture: DOWNPOUR. Chris Martin seeks close contact with the audience during a downpour of confetti

I think that it was good that the Danish weather favoured Coldplay as the band visited a sold-out Parken Stadium in Copenhagen Tuesday night.

If not, the gunpowder had become wet, and then the Englishmen could not have spent the first 10 minutes of their 2-hour-long concert on firing more fireworks and letting off more confetti than most other bands let off during an entire career. But they did.

Quickly, a smell of New Year’s eve spread while meter-high Roman candles burst into a shower of sparks against the sky.

Most beautiful was however the effect of the wristbands that were handed out to everybody at the entrance. When lit, the entire arena was one big ocean of flashing lights that made Parken look like the department store “Illum” at Christmas time – in stadium-sized format.

Maybe they are under pressure

It might be because Coldplay are tired of being the nice guys that are not playing with fire. Or they might feel a pressure that dictates that the world’s greatest band must also have the world’s greatest stage show.

I understand both. But I would have preferred that they had refrained from some of the tricks.

Because Coldplay have the experience, the songs and not least the frontman to create pure magic. And it was extreme and grandiose. But the concert was also an at times glaring proof of music not necessarily being better when turned up to maximum volume.

That was clear from the beginning of “Hurts Like Heaven” which is also the first song on the band’s fifth album, “Mylo Xyloto” that was released last year – an album that is struggling with a sticky, overproduced sound.

When Chris Martin sat down and started playing his piano something happened

Therefore, it seemed horribly symptomatic to watch lead singer Chris Martin disappear completely in the ridiculous quantities of confetti pouring down on him and the audience. It was cake with cake on the top.

Only when he sat down and started playing “the Scientist” on his piano, something happened. Only then did it feel like the beginning of the concert. Only then were you allowed to hear the piano followed by the sound of Jonny Buckland’s acoustic guitar that was followed up by bass and drums while Chris Martin sang the song to the end with a moving and impressive empathy that demonstrated that he is in a league of his own.

Because Chris Martin is a fantastic frontman. And when he jumped foolishly around onstage in an awkward dance with the long limbs dangling at random around him he embodied some of the down-to-earth rockstar that he has become.

Nor did he have problems with hitting even the brightest tones of the breakthrough hit “Yellow”, even though 12 years have passed since he went along an English beach in rainy weather in his life’s first music video looking like a wet dog.

In the video for “Princess of China” off “Mylo Xyloto”, the same Chris Martin flies around in tai-chi like formations opposite the guest singer Rihanna against the moon (!?) while samurais are fighting with swords below.

In other words, Coldplay has come far. But they might also have come too far. In new songs such as “Don’t Let It Break Your Heart” and “Every Tear Is A Waterfall” it was at any rate quite impossible for Chris Martin to penetrate the band’s solid wall of roaring guitars that sounded more like the Muse colleagues than like the more sensitive Coldplay which has often succeeded in stealing my heart.

Coldplay ended up looking like extras in their own concert

In many ways Coldplay has the calibre to be the world’s greatest band. Despite sound problems, they appeared to be solid and to play well together, and they radiated a tranquility and trust in each other that many colleagues must envy them.

Nevertheless, you were left with a too large-scale show that often made Coldplay look like extras in a concert where all things considered they should have been the 4 big stars.

The result was a synthetic show which lay down flat in the drawer with fluorescent tubes where “Mylo Xyloto” lives. I hope that I am allowed to light the lighter the next time.

3 hearts (out of 6 possible)

http://ibyen.dk/musik/ECE1735421/gigantisk-show-fik-coldplay-til-at-ligne-statister/

http://www.Politiken.dk

thanks for your taking the time to translate these reviews Nancy :nice:

You're most welcome. It is quite fun even though you're right - it takes some time, and sometimes it is difficult to translate / keep the images.

Now I think that all the reviews of Coldplay in Copenhagen have been translated & edited either by me or other coldplayers.

I have seen & read reviews of the Copenhagen concert in the following Danish newspapers:

BT, Ekstra-Bladet, Politiken, Jyllands-Posten, Berlingske Tidende and the Danish MetroXpress (the latter is a global newspaper).

hey there folks. i have a stupid question but has anyone of you seen "beat the street" written on the tour buses?

3501.jpg

what i try to find out is if the coldplay stuff is touring with this company like in the past or not. i need this information to get to know if i can get a free pass for an upcoming show or not^^ a friend of mine is driving such a bus but i can't reach him. and i dont want to bother him with furhter questions if they dont tour with coldplay in the end..

hey there folks. i have a stupid question but has anyone of you seen "beat the street" written on the tour buses?

3501.jpg

what i try to find out is if the coldplay stuff is touring with this company like in the past or not. i need this information to get to know if i can get a free pass for an upcoming show or not^^ a friend of mine is driving such a bus but i can't reach him. and i dont want to bother him with furhter questions if they dont tour with coldplay in the end..

many artist use this company :)

Placebo use it too.

U can read more there:

http://www.beatthestreet.net/

3501.jpg

As far as I know they've been using these buses:

292991_2323233216769_1416648154_n.jpg

As a consequence of Coldplay's concert at Parken Stadium in Copenhagen on Tuesday, 28 Augustall their studio albums are back in the Danish album chart:

This week's album chart in Denmark:

29 (re) Coldplay: Parachutes

24 (re) A Rush of Blood to the Head

17 (re) X&Y

13 (36) Viva la Vida or Death and All his Friends

02 (12) Mylo Xyloto

Last week (3 days after the concert at Parken) i.e. on Friday, 31 August Mylo Xyloto went from twenty-something to no. 12. And this week from 12 to no. 2.

It debuted at no. 2 and as Denmark's most popular artist released his second album in the same week as Coldplay, he went straight to no. 1 and stayed there for almost 10 weeks. So Coldplay's latest album has not been no. 1 in Denmark.

I remember that Viva was no. 1 for 2 weeks, and X&Y was no. 1 for 5 weeks.

I heard last week's weekly countdown of downloads from iTunes top 40, no Coldplay songs then. Maybe tomorrow Saturday or Sunday from iTunes (weekly countdown).

EDIT on 9.9.12. I checked iTunes top 40 (the weekly countdown presented on 8+9.9.12 on Danish Radio Nova).

Coldplay was there twice:

28 (re) Princess of China

33 (re) VIVA LA VIDA :dance: :crown: :heart:

My photos and The Scientist video!

Hi guys!

It's almost been 2 weeks since the concert already! Time flies when you're busy with studies. :surprised:

Here are my thoughts on the show:

While I was queuing, Coldplay did rather many short soundchecks, which was awesome. I remember them playing bits of 42 and Hurts Like Heaven. Someone else has probably posted the rest.

I had a blast at the show! :dance: It was an amazing concert.

The support act Charli XCX was very fun and bubbly. Her tunes sounded cool enough. Marina & The Diamonds was really good and warmed up the crowd well. I recognized more of her catchy and solid pop songs than I expected.

When Coldplay came on stage and MX began, the surreality suddenly real, the beautiful tones and the reminiscence of experiencing my favourite band moved me very much. As any Coldplayer can relate to, it makes you feel happy. This was enforced by the stunning glowing Xylobands. Everything seemed right and I forgot my wobbly knees and worries. I gave everything I had in front row. :D My position was five people to Jonny's side of the middle catwalk.

I loved that they played Warning Sign and Speed of Sound (acoustically). Speed of Sound was my first CP song. Don't Let it Break Your Heart was a great highlight and surprise to me, which ironically broke my heart a little with joy. :heart: Other highlights were the always beautiful and uplifting Charlie Brown well as well as the beautiful "new" beginning to Yellow. The boys were in top form and naturally Chris was running all over the place, hard to follow. As I recall, Chris' voice sounded magnificent. He also sounded very cute when he said "Tusind tak" ("thank you"). :wacko:

On the C stage, the band had many heart-warming laughs between each other, especially as the audience cheered for each member. The rest of the concert I expected a bit more of this banter and Chris cracking jokes. Perhaps I just couldn't see it.

Already, Up In Flames is one of my least favourite CP tracks, I found it too repetitive and quiet to keep the audience's interest.

The stage with three catwalks is huge, tall and very impressive. The downside to that along with the two times they played amongst the crowd is the decreased intimacy with people up front like myself. Nonetheless, I was very happy being in front row for the first time as I could sing directly up to them and see at least Chris and Jonny clearly. It all is to the advantage of the crowd further back and up, of course, so I understand why they made it that way.

I have yet to relive all the chills and tears I felt through the recorded sound broadcast. :)

All in all, it was an amazing spectacle of a bright, colourful show that was completely worth waiting many months for. It made me love Coldplay even more than before and that is saying something.

I'm finally uploading my semi-blurry pictures.

th_IMG_0440.jpgth_IMG_0441.jpgth_IMG_0444.jpgYou-know-who (no, not Voldemort... at least I don't think so. :uhoh:)

th_IMG_0445.jpgth_IMG_0446.jpgth_IMG_0447.jpg

th_IMG_0448.jpgIt almost looks as if Chris looks at me here. :wacko:

th_IMG_0456.jpgth_IMG_0457.jpgth_IMG_0458.jpgth_IMG_0459.jpgth_IMG_0460.jpgth_IMG_0462.jpg

Finally, here is my video recording of The Scientist:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3KYH-hYmL8&hd=1]Coldplay "The Scientist" at Parken Stadium, Copenhagen 28.08.2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Edit: Oh dear, it looks like sound and picture aren't all in sync. :\ For me it works best full screen in 720 p.