✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[28-Aug-2012] Coldplay @ Parken Stadium, Copenhagen, Denmark

Jenjie

I have just returned from the concert - wow. It was all very impressive - the show with the wristbands - the lights and the audience. I was so impressed with my countrymen when they sang the "oohs" of Viva la Vida - the "oohs" were so loud. And the audience was also singing along to the Scientist, Fix You and Paradise. I am sure that the guys were impressed. The highlight for me was Viva la Vida.

While I write this, Princess of China is played on VH1, Denmark.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My life is now complete. My first Coldplay concert couldn't have been better! :D

I have just returned from the concert - wow. It was all very impressive - the show with the wristbands - the lights and the audience. I was so impressed with my countrymen when they sang the "oohs" of Viva la Vida - the "oohs" were so loud. And the audience was also singing along to Paradise, the Scientist, Fix You and Paradise. I am sure that the guys were impressed. The highlight for me was Viva la Vida.

While I write this, Princess of China is played on VH1, Denmark.

Glad to hear you guys had a ton of fun! :D

A quick review

Whoa! My third Coldplay concert, and it couldn't be better! I try, but I cannot imagine another band being better live than Coldplay. "All I can promise you is that we're gonna play the best fucking concert, we played in our lives," said Chris in the start, and he didn't let us down. Indeed, he did not.

It kicks off with Back to the future, before Mylo Xyloto and Hurts Like Heaven takes us straight to heaven. Chris is dancing, you can literally smell the fireworks, and it is simply fantastic. Continues with In My Place, and the butterflies. There must be millions of them, if not billions. It's pure magic already. And it gets better.

Major Minus is electric, and the butterflies comes again with Lovers In Japan. I think LiJ sound better on the Viva la Vida Tour, but I might be wrong. I'm open for debating. Everyone sing along to The Scientist ("I don't want you to stop singing", says Chris, and we continue singing), and then comes Yellow - with an amazing acoustic beginning. It actually sounds a bit like Swallowed in the Sea in the start, before Chris sings the first verse in a low key. We love it, everybody love it.

Violet Hill might be the best song ever written, and it's even better live. This is awesomeness. God Put A Smile Upon Your Face isn't changed since last tour, and I'm grateful - 'cause the new intro is so good. On Princess of China they are joined by Rihanna on the screen, and if I should critizise anything, this might be it. Let Coldplay do the job, god damnit. Let Chris sing.

I would prefer they did an old classic instead of Up In Flames, but it's a nice song though. And they DO an old classic with Warning Sign, which is lovely live. A Hopeful Transmission is turned into Don't Let It Break Your Heart, which is a live favourite. And then it's Viva la Vida time.

Will I ever get tired of that song? I don't think so, and 50.000 danes will agreed with me. It's party, and it's even more party with Charlie Brown, my favourite for tonight. Chris is lying on the floor now, completely exhausted, but he gets up again, and steal a key and takes a car et cetera. Whoa. Everything explodes. Paradise follows, as good as ever.

The boys say thanks, and disappear. Returns in the back of the stadium, doing Us Against the World and Speed of Sound acoustic. I love it, especially SoS. Will gets a pleasant round of applauce for his vocals on UATW, and then they come back to the main stage.

Clocks reigns, Fix You explodes, and then it's teardrop time. Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall. Oh God. I don't want it to quit.

---

No surprises in the set list, as you can see. What I missed? Spies would be fantastic. Everything's Not Lost as well. And I would give anything to hear Don Quixote aka Spanish Rain live. But I know it's too much to ask for.

B.T.: Hell knows what the weather gods have been listening to this past decade.

Definitely not Coldplay. In the hours leading up to the long sold-out concert last night, a happy dark gray cloud approached the grounds as if waiting for the opportunity to break into tears. In ancient times, this would have been a perfect accompaniment to Coldplay's 'suburban' pop melancholy. But not anymore.

In 2012, the British superband has solidified its place as a fully-fledged stadium rock band, with an almost aggressive attitude.

Lined with 70,000 tourists, the park exploded at 21.41 with a Dionysian bang of fireworks, a palette of fluorescent neon colors, a screaming riot of fashionable bright colors and phosphorescent graffiti text.

Not only was there the common flash of mobile phone backlight, there was also a spectacle of custom-made luminous bracelets, issued before the start of the show.

Straight into the second song 'Hurts Like Heaven', an invasion of large colorful balloons marked the timely metamorphosis from the old, introverted band of acoustic minstrels to the new, unforgiving heights of the electrifying new Coldplay.

The undefeatable formula of; drummer Will Champion's heavyweight class prowess, an orgasmic and energized performance from Chris Martin, tied together with Johnny Buckland's minimalistic guitar was lapped up by adoring fans, who sang along at every opportunity. And if you leave a Coldplay show without confetti in your hair, you should either check yourself for baldness, or you must have ducked for cover.

"All I can promise you, is that we're gonna play the best fucking concert, in our lives." Chris Martin.

That was the sentiment, which was not only promised but delivered all the same.

'Major Minus' followed 'In My Place', and Martin conducted the choir when it came to Coldplay classic 'The Scientist'. No encouragement was needed as the band played the first few notes of the band's 2000 breakthrough hit 'Yellow', with the crowd taking over the band's duties only to be repeated in 'God Put A Smile On Your Face'.

And with a score that has not been mirrored, since Ole Madsen's calculated heel against Sweden an ice age or so before, Coldplay performed the awesome 'Viva La Vida'; a fan favorite seemingly relating to the themes of suppression and destruction, but as all cracks and crevices reveal, is at its core the opposite. Love, warmth, romance, cohesion. The park was on fire, which flamed on into 'Charlie Brown'.

Also on the latest album, Mylo Xyloto, is the track 'Us Against The World' which is perhaps the key to their new sound. A chance to show Chris, Johnny, Guy and Will's dedication to each other, physically presented as the group stand in close proximity to each other on stage.

The sound tonight was - almost - as good as Roger Waters'. Coldplay have been successful in developing their melancholic foundations, transforming into a bombastic force to be feared and reckoned with. It's simple. The tools are simple. Buckland's repetitive guitar work is simple. The electronic samplings are simple. Even Chris Martin's smooth and modest falsetto is simple. But it works.

It is dødcharmerende. Adjacent to the profound.

Coldplay are a band gone wild. Gone are the attempts to match U2 in pathetic rock piety. Coldplay's rhymes have become less introverted, perhaps more punk, and offer a overwhelming sensory experience in a similar vein to Massive Attack, solemn seen at the park.

Tonight, was a Coldplay in a blazing hot flush.

Even the weather was convinced, as it greeted the end of the concert at 23.20.

The moon shone down from an almost cloudless night sky. As if to say 'Viva la Coldplay'.

5 stars out of 6.

*English translation from

http://www.bt.dk/musik/viva-la-coldplay-tog-parken-med-storm

There are so many possibilities, so many offers, so many different paths to choose. More choice means less connection, and a sense of community is now becoming distant.

Especially in the world of music, where the supply of bands and songs in 2012 is so large that we can no longer assume similarity with our neighbours.

However, there are still bands that continue to grow in spite of this, who manage to gather millions of fans to concentrate on their choruses and melodies. This allows for a global music community.

One such band, is British band Coldplay, who on Tuesday evening stood on the Parken Stadium stage with a burstingly rich back catalogue of songs; including sing-along-friendly rock songs and ballads. To accompany these songs, they also had a spectacular stage show, which exploded into life during the very first song 'Hurts Like Heaven', where rockets hissed against the darkening sky, and lasers cut their way across the stage and over the heads of the ecstatic 50,000 fans.

And if that wasn't enough, bracelets of blue, white and green were allocated to each guest at the entrance doors. This made for an unbelievably beautiful sight with the moon paling over the park.

The intro to 'In My Place' made for a larger than life moment, where the audience was inspired to sing along under falling confetti.

"We are going to play the best fucking concert of our lives!" said Chris Martin, dripping with sweat after pacing back and forth in the sprawling, spotlight-bathed scene. He kept focus with his trademark dramatic poses and distinctive, slightly nasal voice as he effortlessly led the Park through 'Yellow', 'Fix You' and especially 'Clocks', the song that defines the best of the band's potential.

It opens with an infectious riff, complemented with Chris Martin's vocals as the rest of the quartet fall into place and pull the song towards a roaring and intoxicating chorus.

'Clocks' was one of the main highlights, where Martin's piano and Buckland's bright guitar lines guided the audience into the realm of escape.

'Paradise' and 'Viva La Vida' - similar songs in terms of composition- allowed for other great moments, that rose high above the Park and was aided by the spectacular stage show with puffy hearts, colorful balloons, and other tricks of trade under 'The Great Concert Guide'.

Neither the energetic band nor the powerful extraction - of Olympic opening ceremony quality - could leverage the feeling of idleness. There were times when the set list appeared too predictable against the roaring concrete backdrop.

But in other instances, boredom was kept at bay for example when 'Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall' closed the main set the fan's were all singing along with a combined voice.

The sense of community that Coldplay provides, is a rare occurrence in these times. And even more rare in the morning.

English translation of Viva Coldplay! Berlingske

Review of the Coldplay concert - Danish newspaper Ekstrabladet (EB) / http://ekstrabladet.dk/musik/koncert_anmeldelser/article1815386.ece

Like New Year's Eve in August with Coldplay

The group delivered fireworks in front of 50,000 at Parken Stadium which is well-known for not having the best sound conditions.

23:22, 28. aug 2012 | Thomas Treo / translated & edited by Nancy Boysen (partly assisted by Google)

Ekstra-Bladet: **** (4 stars). The audience responding to E-B: 5½ stars.

Coldplay at Parken Stadium, Copenhagen, tuesday 28 August 2012

Coldplay's concert at Parken Stadium was number 68 of 85 planned concerts during the band's"Mylo Xyloto" world tour, but if Chris Martin & co. are about to be tired of touring then they were able to hide it extremely well during an at times ecstatic show tonight.

Before the group even approached the stage the atmosphere was better than in Madonna's few impressive moments at Parken Stadium in July.

The national football arena was almost exploding with colourful use of fireworks, confetti and lasers when the band started the concert with not so elegant but very infectious/riveting versions of ’Hurts Like Heaven’, ’In My Place’, ’Yellow’ and powerful ’Violet Hill’.

VERY POOR ACOUSTICS

Often Chris Martin's vocals drowned in the unsightly rumbling sound, but the audience of 50,000 people did not seem to care because ’God Put a Smile upon Your Face’, and so did Coldplay while the sound was gradually becoming tolerable.

It seemed unnecessary that the London-based quartet equipped their few rock elements with a massive gravity that made the band appear clumsy, but Chris Martin equipped their few rock elements with a massive gravity that made the band appear clumsy, but Chris Martin managed to seduce the audience in an effortless manner.

The frontman and the other Coldplay members have grown up in the superleague of showbusiness, and as something as rare as a likeable pop star Chris Martin sweated, twitched and paced back and forth so that it was more contagious than glandular fever at a fresher's trip.

You got the feeling that Chris Martin's positive energy alone could light up the night sky over Copenhagen, and even the moon was watching as the clock passed 23 pm local time (= central European time).

HAPPY END

If Parken Stadium's had been covered by the roof, it would probably have blown off during ’Viva la Vida’. The frontman enjoyed the sing-along/ communal singing lying on the stage floor, and a minute later the provided neon-bracelets sparkled on the wrists of the audience of 50,000 people during the ’glow-in-the-dark’ number ’Charlie Brown’.

Towards the end of the 98-minute-long concert, a few acoustic numbers did not work effectfully enough on an intimate stage at the end tribune, but not least ’Clocks’ and ’Fix You’ ensured a happy end.

Maybe not great art - but a celebration of dimensions. Like New Year's eve in August.

http://ekstrabladet.dk/musik/koncert_anmeldelser/article1815386.ece

There you can also see some pictures from the concert

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91000&page=68

Reviewers agree: Coldplay won the hearts of the crowd at Parken Stadium

In front of 50,000 screaming fans Coldplay delivered at Parken Stadium Tuesday night.

That is the opinion of the reviewers from Denmark's two largest tabloid papers - Ekstra Bladet and BT.

- Coldplay. A massive attack like tonight's on all the senses is rarely seen at Parken Stadium. Tonight, was a Coldplay in a blazing hot flush according to BT’s Jan Eriksen.

Even the weather was convinced, as it greeted the end of the concert at 23.20 (11:20 pm local time / central European time).

The moon shone down from an almost cloudless night sky. As if to say 'Viva la Coldplay', he adds. He awards the Coldplay concert 5 out of 6 stars.

Praises from Treo

Even Ekstra Bladet's reviewer, Thomas Treo, praised the British poprock band, even though in his eyes the sound at Parken Stadium reduced the overall impression / experience of the concert somewhat.

- The frontman and the other Coldplay members have grown up in the superleague of showbusiness, and as something as rare as a likeable pop star Chris Martin sweated, twitched and paced back and forth so that it was more contagious than glandular fever at a fresher's trip. So Treo wrote.

He is less generous with the stars (*) - 4 stars for the quartet from England.

- You got the feeling that Chris Martin's positive energy alone could light up the night sky over Copenhagen, and even the moon was watching as the clock passed 23 pm local time (= central European time). If Parken Stadium had been covered by the roof, it would probably have blown off during ’Viva la Vida’.

Roaring concrete backdrop

The same number of stars is awarded by Berlingske's Jeppe Krogsgaard Christensen, but with reservations.

- Neither the energetic band nor the powerful extraction (wide range of effects) - of Olympic opening ceremony quality - could keep away / leverage the feeling of idleness. There were times when the template mark of the songs appeared too predictable against the roaring concrete backdrop - so Berlingske Tidende's reviewer writes.

Before heading to Stockholm for tomorrows concert, quick note...

Where should I start? Amazing as always... I had some friends who was at their first concert yesterday and after they were nuts and said "yeah, Linnea, we understand why you are so obsessed with them, I didn't realise it before because it felt like it was something you need to experience yourself to understand, this was the best night of my life" dosen't that says it all? No one ever gets disappointed.

I have lots of AMAZING photos and videos, I'll give you them all on saturday when hopefully I have even more beautiful pics from tomorrows show aswell :)

But why not begin with this crazy one... can't stop laughing.. haha :)

will1.jpg

Before heading to Stockholm for tomorrows concert, quick note...

Where should I start? Amazing as always... I had some friends who was at their first concert yesterday and after they were nuts and said "yeah, Linnea, we understand why you are so obsessed with them, I didn't realise it before because it felt like it was something you need to experience yourself to understand, this was the best night of my life" dosen't that says it all? No one ever gets disappointed.

I have lots of AMAZING photos and videos, I'll give you them all on saturday when hopefully I have even more beautiful pics from tomorrows show aswell :)

But why not begin with this crazy one... can't stop laughing.. haha :)

will1.jpg

That really is great to hear! I have friends and even family members who don't quite grasp what Coldplay means to me. I don't think people quite understand why I have such a passion for Coldplay, but if people wanted any convincing then they should just come to a concert with me!

Great pictures, and good re-reviews. :cheesy:

I'm not good at writing re-reviews, but it was an amazing night. I was close to stage and it was awesome!

I'm trilled that they played LIP,WS and HLIBYH. I didn't expected to hear them. :escaping: