✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Online Concert Ticket Fraudsters Foiled

coldplaymom

Online concert ticket fraudsters foiled

7:00am Monday 19th March 2012 in Wandsworth

Coldplay tickets were among those sold by the gang Coldplay tickets were among those sold by the gang

A gang of online fraudsters have been using a Wandsworth Council-owned building as a bogus mailing address to dupe hundreds of JLS and Coldplay fans into buying non-existent concert tickets.

The gang set up a string of websites promising tickets for acts such as JLS, Coldplay, Barry Manilow, Westlife, Il Divo and comedian Michael McIntyre at some of London’s best venues including the O2 Arena.

They were rumbled after a woman from Aberdeen contacted bosses at the O2 because her JLS tickets had not arrived.

Staff at the venue then traced the gang’s "registered" address to a council day centre and tipped off Wandsworth Council's trading standards team.

The team contacted Google to de-list the websites from the company’s search engines and asked banks to stop them being able to process cash payments.

Chief trading standards officer Christopher Roe said: "As soon as we got wind of what was happening we were able to step in and put a stop to this unpleasant scam.

"Unfortunately a lot of people have paid money for tickets that are never going to arrive, but at least we have managed to stop the criminals pocketing all the cash and ensured that £40,000 is available to help pay back the victims."

Almost £40,000 was frozen in the bogus company's account before it could be pocketed by gang members - this will now be reimbursed to customers who have lost out.

The fraudsters have now been put out of business, but not before they swindled around 1,900 people from all across the country.

It is understood the gang hail from the Indian subcontinent but have yet to be traced.

Jonathan Brown, secretary of the Society of Ticket Agents and Retailers (STAR) said: "Ticket crime cynically preys on the enthusiasm of fans to see their favourite entertainers, but can be avoided by taking care when buying tickets.

"We would always recommend that customers secure their tickets from STAR members who are authorised by promoters and venues to sell tickets on their behalf."

The websites that trading standards shut down were: barry-manilow-2012-support.com, coldplay-tour-2012.com, il-divo-live.com, jls-tickets.com, live.net, michael-mcintyre.com and westlife-concert-tickets-support.com.

For more information visit http://www.star.org.uk/consumeradvice/buyingonline.

Ahhh, I think my tickets might be fake, they haven't arrived yet??? :angry: I must have tickets no matter what happens!

The Oracle answered this question a few days ago.

http://www.coldplay.com/oracledetail_pop.php?id=2605&page=0

March 13, 2012 - submitted by Yvonne, United Kingdom

Q. I hope the Oracle can help, I'm probably panicking too soon, but I bought tickets from ticket master for the June Coldplay gig at the Emirates, and haven't had the tickets yet. Has anyone else? I will be completely gutted if something has gone wrong.

The Oracle replies:

I have no idea if anyone else has got their tickets yet but rest assured yours are not late according to the event info so you can stop panicking.

Ticketmaster do state on their website that "tickets for this event are provided directly by the promoter and not printed by Ticketmaster and may not be despatched until ten days before the event".

Guys, someone answer me! I got my Coldplay tickets from onlineticketexpress.com and they have charged extra on the card and I heard that the website is a scam, someone needs to take these guys down!! Don't buy from them! Complete scam, does anyone know any way to get my money back?? Soooo angry right now!! :angry:

^ Credit card chargeback

Yeah, on the terms and conditions (which of course no one reads!!) it says once the order has been confirmed it cannot be cancelled or refunded, so I'm pretty much screwed now... Might get the police involved in this because on the website it says 100% garunteed that they have thousands of satisfied customers... Look up the reviews from this site!! All I'm saying is If it comes up in the future don't by tickets from it!!

Q. I hope the Oracle can help, I'm probably panicking too soon, but I bought tickets from ticket master for the June Coldplay gig at the Emirates, and haven't had the tickets yet. Has anyone else? I will be completely gutted if something has gone wrong.

The Oracle replies:

I have no idea if anyone else has got their tickets yet but rest assured yours are not late according to the event info so you can stop panicking.

Ticketmaster do state on their website that "tickets for this event are provided directly by the promoter and not printed by Ticketmaster and may not be despatched until ten days before the event".

Thanks for showing me this, pretty much screwed with my website I got my tickets from, I'm warning you now, do not use onlineticketexpress.com in the future, and also we should try and shut down the website!! Who's with me #ticketscam

Yeah, on the terms and conditions (which of course no one reads!!) it says once the order has been confirmed it cannot be cancelled or refunded, so I'm pretty much screwed now... Might get the police involved in this because on the website it says 100% garunteed that they have thousands of satisfied customers... Look up the reviews from this site!! All I'm saying is If it comes up in the future don't by tickets from it!!

No, you can go through your credit card company and file a chargeback regardless of the site's terms and conditions if something like this happens

No, you can go through your credit card company and file a chargeback regardless of the site's terms and conditions if something like this happens

Just been looking up on this...

Thank you so much for telling me but I can't seem to get in contact with the website Which now own the money that has been taken, the bank account doesnt seem to cover it but I will keep trying to get I. Contact with the website,and get my money back!!

The Oracle replies:

Thanks for showing me this... I really wish I got my tickets from a genuine ticket company like ticketmaster or ticketline but I was too late, I really wish I got them earlier, the company running the website also turned out to be a scam and stole ALL the money from my card, and they do that to lots of other people too, I guess I won't be going to this concert :'( all because of those frauds, stay away from onlineticketexpress.com and whatever you do don't give them your card number, they stole over £400 when the original proce was £273from me and sent a message saying they didn't have the tickets, absolutly gutted I can't go, and that they left me with hardly any money :'(

Omg! That sucks D:

I know right, I really wanted to go to this, stuck with the site for a few months, now it turns out to be a scam, at ticket prices are now hurrendously high, just stay away from onlineticketexpress.com and whatever you do, don't give them your card number, those bastards stole £200 more then original price, oh and they don't have the tickets

:( If anyon here knows anyone selling tickets priced £40-£80 please message me, and don't scam me!!!

wow. it really pisses me off that people would do this. arguably most of us here are diehard concert goers. no one should take advantage of that.

Yes, it pisses me off that people do this too, it feels horrible to be one of the victims of those bastards.

They stole over £400 from my card, again I must send a warning, don't buy from onlineticketexpress.com

Alex, have you called your credit card provider about this? They can normally sort it and you should be covered as the purchase was over £100 as the service (tickets) were not provided. Same thing if your airline goes bankrupt. They might need a copy of your order confirmation or any correspondence and might insist on waiting until the concert approaches as they may actually turn up in the end.

Call them and ask to speak to the fraud department... Let us know how you get on.

You have to be VERY VERY careful when buying tickets online, especially for something popular. Don't let your heart overrule common sense wand check a website FULLY before paying up. Even the web addresses of those above seem suspicious to me so I wouldn't even visit!

Alex, have you called your credit card provider about this? They can normally sort it and you should be covered as the purchase was over £100 as the service (tickets) were not provided. Same thing if your airline goes bankrupt. They might need a copy of your order confirmation or any correspondence and might insist on waiting until the concert approaches as they may actually turn up in the end.

Call them and ask to speak to the fraud department... Let us know how you get on.

You have to be VERY VERY careful when buying tickets online, especially for something popular. Don't let your heart overrule common sense wand check a website FULLY before paying up. Even the web addresses of those above seem suspicious to me so I wouldn't even visit!

Thank you for writing to me, I have called my credit card provider about this, and they need solid proof that the tickets will not be delivered, so I have kept the email of them saying they don't have the tickets and forwarded it on to them, they should be able to cover it now, but not until June, which of course is when the concert is, so I am looking for tickets priced £40-£80 at the minute, if you know anyone please tell me, I really don't want to miss out on this concert, but at least I can get my money back, maybe I could buy it off a scalver at the concert but that's always a big amount of money, tge thing is if the tickets do happen to arrive, which they probably won't as they haven't had any satisfied customers, then I won't get my money back, which is fine if I get tickets, I really should have checked out this site first, or bought my tickets from ticketmaster for £49 when I had the chance, really bloody expensive now! Thanks for your reply, I will keep you informed in what happens next, and if I make it to the concert or not, if you know anyone who might have spare tickets please send a message to my Coldplaying account.

Thanks, and remember, don't buy from onlineticketexpress.com!!

Fingers crossed that some way I will make it to this concert, even if I have to spend a fortune!

I'm really sorry that this happened to you.

So far you mentioned that website in 10 different posts and 4 threads, I think we get the message :)

Yeah, I know I'm just so gutted that I can't go! I think I have written about it quite a lot by now, Im just trying any way to get more tickets, if you know of a website or anyone that a spare tickets please message me, actually I think you already got that after reading it on 4 different threads, some way I will try to get tickets! I won't stop trying, although I don't think I will write about it anymore!

Actually, now that I think about it not too bad for a sold out Coldply concert, and if it's partnered with ticketmaster then it isn't another scam!! But I'd better get them fast! Im going to get them at the speed of sound or at least a very [/b]high speed[/b] as long as I buy them before daylight I will stop now!!