✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Should i get a credit card?

Blakexy1125

At my bank they offer credit cards to students and i was wondering if its a good idea if i should get one, i feel like i am responsible with my money and i can handle one. but i want some other opinions on this before i make a decision

P.s. im a 17 year old high school senior whos graduating in a few weeks just to put that out there....

so advice please!

Edit: I want one so i can get started on credit and get ahead of the game...

but im also just a kid so maybe im not ready for this responsibility so please put your opinion

well... i think that it's probably best if you didn't get a credit card right now considering that you're just about to finish high school. sometimes even people who are responsible with money have trouble managing credit cards

yeah just think about it carefully....before you attempt anything like it. i know some older people who shy away from credit cards..

Yeah im still thinking about it...

Ive talked to my parents and they think that i am responsible enough, the only reason why i want one is just to start getting good credit. i only want to use it like once a month for a purchase of maybe 50 dollars and i have a job and 2750 dollars saved up so im gonna just keep thinking about it...

At my bank they offer credit cards to students and i was wondering if its a good idea if i should get one, i feel like i am responsible with my money and i can handle one. but i want some other opinions on this before i make a decision

P.s. im a 17 year old high school senior whos graduating in a few weeks just to put that out there....

so advice please!

Edit: I want one so i can get started on credit and get ahead of the game...

but im also just a kid so maybe im not ready for this responsibility so please put your opinion

Do you really need a credit card? And where do you want to use it for?

Do you really need a credit card? And where do you want to use it for?

I dont need one at all right now for a teenager im fine financially i have a job and a debit card and i can buy whatever i need my motive for getting on is getting a head start on credit score and building credit. I would probably use it on like food while im working or like xbox for buying like a movie or something but id pay it every month and not get behind.

I dont need one at all right now for a teenager im fine financially i have a job and a debit card and i can buy whatever i need my motive for getting on is getting a head start on credit score and building credit. I would probably use it on like food while im working or like xbox for buying like a movie or something but id pay it every month and not get behind.

I understand your intentions, but that's what everyone says beforehand, but only a handful actually accomplish said task.

Honestly, a credit card is not for high school student, much less a 17 year old. Too much goes on that could distract you, etc. Wait a while longer and decide if you really want one or not.

If you don't already, open a checking/savings account. :)

No. Stupid idea.

All you need at your age is a savings account and a debit card. There is no need spending money you don't already have when you are only 17. You have a huge chance of screwing up your credit history through it and may not be able to get loans or do things with a credit card when you are older and actually need it.

I don't want to offend you at all but handling a credit card efficiently is hard enough for adults who have experience and knowledge with handling money.

You just gave yourself the answer you are looking for.

In all honesty, I would wait. You don't need it. If, in a year or two, you need the credit score, then get one. But until then, don't bother with it. It will just be a reason for you to buy extra junk you really don't need.

Hm, I missed in the first post why you'd want/need one. I think that's very important. If you don't need it, then don't take one. The bank offers you one, because they can make profit from it, not because they feel you need one.

I think for most things your debit card will do and if you need a credit card, you can always ask your parents (or use paypal instead in most cases).

I think that credit cards give people unecessary temptation, so if you don't need one, don't get one. You might feel responsible now, but a credit card might change your behaviour. Also, you said that you'll be out of high school soon. Maybe after that your life changes in a way that would make you feel more tempted to use the credit card for no goods.

Thanks everyone for your responses, after reading them all i think your all right. i dont need one. i have a debit card and that works just fine for me.

As i said before i only had good intentions for it but you never know....

So again thank you for all the help its appreciated!