✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

2 stages of falsetto, safe or not?

Taz1853

So above my kinda normal voice, I then have falsetto, where in total I get about 4 o octaves (I think, got a cold at the moment, can't really check), and then above my falsetto, if I move my jaw lower I can reach even higher. I just got 29 notes, so nearly 4 octaves yes.

Is it safe to do this? I'm not sure how the best singers reach high up but I've found a way to do it but if it's dangerous I'd like to know.

I know Chris reached some note once that I couldn't reach in my first stage of falsetto, but he's trained properly I assume.

Thanks guys!

Something certainly changed with Chris' voice after A Rush of Blood to the Head. I always thought it was throat surgery or something because all of a sudden he sounded completely different when they performed live. Maybe it was just training.

I'd say the reason Chris can sing higher than you is:

1. He is naturally able to do so.

2. He would have access to the best vocal coaches in the world.

Something certainly changed with Chris' voice after A Rush of Blood to the Head. I always thought it was throat surgery or something because all of a sudden he sounded completely different when they performed live. Maybe it was just training.

I'd say the reason Chris can sing higher than you is:

1. He is naturally able to do so.

2. He would have access to the best vocal coaches in the world.

He was only one note higher than I was able to do at that moment as I was unprepared, but I am able to get up there, and higher even. I just think it's pushing the boundaries a bit which is why Chris doesn't go there often.

• 1 month later...

Men don't have anything above falsetto. I don't know why you think that is, but it's not. Conversely, women don't have falsetto; they have what's called a whistle register. (If you don't know what that is, listen to Mariah Carey. She uses it all the time.)

Anyway, lowering your jaw does give you more or a range because it's closing the throat properly. My vocal major friend told me that with classical singing, "If you have your mouth open to the point of you feeling silly, you're doing it right."

Now, the question presented was, "Is it safe or not?" As long as you don't do it for very long, you should be OK. Singing too much in either the lower tessitura (chest voice) or higher tessitura (head voice) is damaging to your vocal chords. Singing incorrectly often is how people get vocal nodes that need surgery to have them removed.

Violets insight has brought back a memory of studying music and a girl who was a very good singer, and trying to consistently pull off Mariah type above falsettos, and being consistently told that this should not be used regularly, continued to use it, like, every day.

I don't know what happened there but the vocal teacher advised it would ruin her voice completely.

Anette, I don't think you need to worry. It's mostly professional singers who sing that way everyday for extended hours who get to the point of having vocal nodes. I'm not saying it's completely impossible for non-singers to get them, but seeing as you don't go on tour and all that, you don't have nearly as much cause for concern. :nice:

Men don't have anything above falsetto. I don't know why you think that is, but it's not. Conversely, women don't have falsetto; they have what's called a whistle register. (If you don't know what that is, listen to Mariah Carey. She uses it all the time.)

Anyway, lowering your jaw does give you more or a range because it's closing the throat properly. My vocal major friend told me that with classical singing, "If you have your mouth open to the point of you feeling silly, you're doing it right."

Now, the question presented was, "Is it safe or not?" As long as you don't do it for very long, you should be OK. Singing too much in either the lower tessitura (chest voice) or higher tessitura (head voice) is damaging to your vocal chords. Singing incorrectly often is how people get vocal nodes that need surgery to have them removed.

:shocked2: Violet you're so clever. I would suck at having to elaborate on how to peel properly a banana, let alone giving an advice in singing. I should just change my user name into Mr. Miserable.

...Do I know you? That's probably a silly question to ask, but I honestly haven't visited the Lounge in a while, and I don't remember your screen name.

I was RegulusBlack until recently. I'm sorry if my calling you Violet (assuming it is your real name) bothered you (I mean, because there has been no proper introduction on my side).

OHHHHH. Yes, I remember you now. I wasn't aware you had changed your name. Sorry about that.

No, that doesn't bother me at all. Everyone calls me Violet, anyway. :nice: (Yes, it is my real name.)

• 6 months later...