✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

More Tour Dates?

donkmonster

There is probly a thread for this already but, will we be seeing more tour dates added? Viva and Twisted Logic had around 150 shows each. This tour has had like 70 shows and not many in the US, im hoping to see them again, thoughts?

There is probly a thread for this already but, will we be seeing more tour dates added? Viva and Twisted Logic had around 150 shows each. This tour has had like 70 shows and not many in the US, im hoping to see them again, thoughts?

The most shows they've ever done for a single tour was Viva, which did have 170, but it was significantly larger than any they'd done prior. They do have 85 dates on this tour, and if you include all the shows from 2011 (which pretty much were part of the tour) the total comes to 102, so they're not really that far out of line with what they've done before.

I guess all this is my way of saying I kind of doubt they'll do many additional shows this tour. The dates they already have cover most of the major European and North American markets, and based on things that were said back when they started the tour, I get the sense that they don't really want to do as intense a schedule as they did for Viva.

The most shows they've ever done for a single tour was Viva, which did have 170, but it was significantly larger than any they'd done prior. They do have 85 dates on this tour, and if you include all the shows from 2011 (which pretty much were part of the tour) the total comes to 102, so they're not really that far out of line with what they've done before.

I guess all this is my way of saying I kind of doubt they'll do many additional shows this tour. The dates they already have cover most of the major European and North American markets, and based on things that were said back when they started the tour, I get the sense that they don't really want to do as intense a schedule as they did for Viva.

In a way, I'm kind of happy with this. I was just a new fan when Viva was released, and didn't ever follow the tour/setlist until the very, very end. That last almost two years, right?

I have a feeling this era isn't going to be as long as the others have been. They seem to really be happy with themselves right now, but they also seem to be in a very creative and proactive mood, as well.

In a way, I'm kind of happy with this. I was just a new fan when Viva was released, and didn't ever follow the tour/setlist until the very, very end. That last almost two years, right?

I have a feeling this era isn't going to be as long as the others have been. They seem to really be happy with themselves right now, but they also seem to be in a very creative and proactive mood, as well.

I can totally understand why the might not want to tour quite so much these days, they all have small children and families, so I can see why not being on the road so much would be appealing.

I can totally understand why the might not want to tour quite so much these days, they all have small children and families, so I can see why not being on the road so much would be appealing.

Absolutely.

Like you said, the festivals (at least IMO) are a part of the tour.

Absolutely.

Like you said, the festivals (at least IMO) are a part of the tour.

The other part of it which I forgot to mention in my first post, is that the dates everywhere but North America are Stadium dates, which tends to shorten the tour, as several gigs are essentially condensed into one with Stadium gigs. Even massive bands like U2 rarely go above 100 shows when they're playing stadiums.

The other part of it which I forgot to mention in my first post, is that the dates everywhere but North America are Stadium dates, which tends to shorten the tour, as several gigs are essentially condensed into one with Stadium gigs. Even massive bands like U2 rarely go above 100 shows when they're playing stadiums.

Oh, really? I didn't know that. Why is that?

Oh, really? I didn't know that. Why is that?

I think it primarily tends to be a combination of three factors:

1. Even bands with huge fanbases tend to tap out their live draw potential relatively fast when they're playing to 50,000-90,000 strong crowds each night. Put simply a 3 night stand in the local arena is roughly equivilent of 1 night at the local stadium.

2. The bigger logistical demands of a stadium tour tend to tax the stamina of the band and crew to a point that things tend to get shortened.

3. The extra time required to set up/tear down/transport stadium staging/gear tends to mean that bands end up playing less shows over an equivilent amount of time.

These things are the rule, and there absolutely are exceptions. In fact maybe u2 was a bad example as their one of the few bands that have done a few very lengthy stadium tours.

Not to mention the fact of the scale of this tour. Just the stage setup alone is a larger scale than they've done before. They are shelling out a ton of $$ on the Xylobands. Also, when they toured for Viva, for example - my city - Dallas, they came through once on the first leg, then came back through on what would technically be the 3rd leg, I believe. On this tour, they seem to be hitting some cities back to back, which leads me to believe they won't swing back through.

They'll at least tour in Latin/South America.

As much as some people really want them to, I'd say it's not particularly likely at this point. South America is still considered an emerging market for live concerts, and a lot of tours skip it. Coldplay have actually toured there more than a lot of bands, but still, I'd say it's far from a given that there will be a SA leg on every tour. Same with Asia really.

I really think they'd play more North American or Asian dates before they'd tour SA this time though. They've more or less tapped out a lot of Europe with the massive stadium shows, so I'm not sure they'd go back there this go around either.

My personal opinion is still that the most likely scenario would be a small handful of Asian dates added on to the end of the Australia leg, and that's it.

I think they'll tour SA, because they really love it there. That tour inspired them for VLV when they went there in 2007, and they even wrote a song for the SA tour during the VLV tour (but you know that already): clearly, they love going there, so I really think they'll try to go there, most likely in February/March 2013, as some people have said in other threads.

I think they'll tour SA, because they really love it there. That tour inspired them for VLV when they went there in 2007, and they even wrote a song for the SA tour during the VLV tour (but you know that already): clearly, they love going there, so I really think they'll try to go there, most likely in February/March 2013, as some people have said in other threads.

They do claim to like it, so that's a plus, but that's not enough on it's own to justify routing the tour through there. Coldplay's touring schedule (like most bands) is set by people other than them, (this is why the band are often caught unaware about certain aspects of tours when asked.;)) I just really can't see the band (or more accurately their handlers) taking the tour to SA when all the conventional touring wisdom says if they are going to add dates, to do so in other places.

I will note for the record though that I really do hope the band does get around to all the places people want them to play. I just don't see that as likely to happen this time though, especially since they seem to not want to tour so extensively this time.

They do claim to like it, so that's a plus, but that's not enough on it's own to justify routing the tour through there. Coldplay's touring schedule (like most bands) is set by people other than them, (this is why the band are often caught unaware about certain aspects of tours when asked.;)) I just really can't see the band (or more accurately their handlers) taking the tour to SA when all the conventional touring wisdom says if they are going to add dates, to do so in other places.

I will note for the record though that I really do hope the band does get around to all the places people want them to play. I just don't see that as likely to happen this time though, especially since they seem to not want to tour so extensively this time.

I'm sorry, but I do think it's really likely for them to add South American dates and it's not just wishful thinking. They have toured South America in the last two tours and despite "conventional touring wisdom" as you call it, most bands do tend to include at least a few dates in South America. U2, Metallica, AC/DC, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters and even bands not as huge as them like Foster The People and Maroon 5 have toured here recently :blank:

I'm sorry, but I do think it's really likely for them to add South American dates and it's not just wishful thinking. They have toured South America in the last two tours and despite "conventional touring wisdom" as you call it, most bands do tend to include at least a few dates in South America. U2, Metallica, AC/DC, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters and even bands not as huge as them like Foster The People and Maroon 5 have toured here recently :blank:

A lot of bands do, but a lot of them don't. Even the ones that do, rarely go there every tour. Saying that the industry doesn't consider South America as important as the North American and European markets isn't intended as an insult, just a statement of fact.

Right now though, we don't have any indications there will even be any additional dates. Heck, we don't even have the usual rumors of dates. Unless something leaks out soon, it doesn't look like the band have all that much planned for next year, and I'm sorry but I just can't see them playing South America if they don't also hit some of the bigger North American markets left off this year's itinerary. It could happen, but it would be unusual.