✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What did you learn last year?

Prince Myshkin

I know it's easy to make such threads and we've had 2013 summary threads and things but what do you think you learned last year and has anything within that year helped you better understand who you are as a person, or indeed changed you in a notable way?

I'll make my contribution later.

This year I learned that (for me at least) you can't ever really know yourself. You can attempt to work out who you have been and why you have done the things you have done, but given that you are first and foremost a product of experience and life events, within the moment you don't really know how you are going to react. If you don't think or don't really do much or both then I guess it becomes easier because there's no real evolution in your character. On the other hand, if you want to experience different things and do things then you're likely not to be able to keep up. You need to constantly revise your perception of exactly who you are, otherwise you wake up and realise that you've changed without realising and it's almost impossible to see where it all stemmed from. Like each fine layer of foundation supporting you is added so quickly yet so in such a subtle manner that you couldn't retrace your steps if you tried.

It means I've no idea who I'm going to be in the future since I have no control over what happens in my life. In a quarter of a century I've still not experienced the death of somebody close to me, I hope to find love again and I also have a few plans for travel that I imagine will shape me in at least some way.

I guess this year I learned that if I want to experience more in life I'm likely going to change quite a bit. This isn't a problem, it's just after the depression of my adolescent years, one of the things that dragged me out was a kind of self awareness and understanding which meant I at least understood myself, even if the rest of the world didn't make sense. This past year I've come to realise that sometimes it is hard to be truly sincere in your actions and your hopes, when you don't clearly know who you are. How can you be?

• 1 year later...
i didn't really learn anything new. i reconfirmed that i hate feeling inferior or 'less than' to the point of depression or stupid decisions i guess, but that's something that i've had before.

I don't even know what the hell I was on about or what this is in reference to LOL

• 2 weeks later...