✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Ghost Story - your review

Sparky

I am compiling an ultimate Coldplaying fan review of Ghost Stories.

It will be posted on the main site shortly after the best review for each song on the album is picked, your name will be listed in credit should your review be chosen! Closing date is Monday 26th May

Get your writing fingers ready! Good luck! :)

You can also vote in the poll too, out of 10 which will be interesting as its usually only when a pre-album single is released.

Ghost Story has the sound of an AROBTTH B-side about it, which is brilliant. The guitar is superb and the chorus is very catchy and includes my favourite sound in music, which is what I call "the crocodile" due to primary school. croc.jpg I love the way the chorus explodes into life. A good song.

8/10

A very interesting tune for Coldplay! On first listen it reminded me of Pearl Jam strangely enough, certainly something that could have fit in to AROBTTH B-sides, but of course with a few modern twists. I love the raw acoustic guitar strumming patterns and the influence of Jonny throughout the track. The Ghost Stories elements are definitely here though, the faint woodblocks in the background, the flute, the electronic echoes. I might liken it to an OK Computer sounding song were it not upbeat. Hearing the whole band jam out is really refreshing in this track. My only gripe is Chris' vocals. They don't sound convincing to me,like he isn't invested and I don't feel like singing along. On first listen, I was already not liking his falsetto when he cries "disappeeeear." It isn't their best b-side, but I love the song.

8/10

"Ghost Story"

I like Ghost Stories, but Ghost Story is phenomenal! I just can't believe they made something like this. It would be strong song on Viva la vida. This with Ink are going to be my summer songs. But I think I will never get tired of Ghost Story. When I heard it for the first time I jumped and played invisible guitar. And lyrics are good. Everything's perfect on this song. Every sound is perfect.

An amazing bonus track. One wonders why it was not included in the album. But after hearing it, it is obvious that musically, it does not belong to the Ghost Stories era. Will is back to regular drums and the bass and the guitar take over the song. The lyrics are great, Chris explaining the album title while singing: "What's the point of feeling love for you / When you don't believe I'm here" and "Every time I try to pull you close / You disappear". Jonny is everywhere with amazing riffs and Will's drums clearly rule the song. Probably the best part is just before the climax when the song suddenly goes silent and comes back with that massive drums solo. Chris voice is very subtle, in some parts like whispering. But the power of the song is unquestionable, remembering of the A Rush Of Blood To The Head era. At the end, one is left wishing that they will come back soon with more songs like this one, probably summing up what a great track this is.

8/10.

Ghost Story is easily a completely remarkable and tremendous song. I know I keep saying '____ is one of the best things Coldplay has produced', but honestly, Ghost Story is in my list of favorite Coldplay songs. In fact, it's now sitting right behind A Rush of Blood to the Head for favorite title track song. (Though, I don't see how anything will ever beat that song, by any band, ever.)

Lyrically and musically, it's completely different from anything else on the album, but goddamn does it flow well. Almost immediately, it plays like the brother of the B-sides from the A Rush of Blood to the Head days. My friends and I talked if Coldplay were possible of ever returning to the glory of those days way back in the early days of Ghost Stories. They did, and it exceeded any expectations I had. Listening to this song still puts a giant smile on my face. Everything from Chris' vocals, to the drums, to Jonny's solo and to the wonderful bass is almost overwhelming.

As the_escapist said, it makes you wonder if they will ever return to this style, because it's very clear they still have it in them.

5/5

I love the song and I'm shocked that it didn't end up on the regular (read Itunes) album.

You are all off on who it sounds like but it's only because I'm likely older than all of you.

The song pays homage to Echo and the Bunnymen... One of Chris's favorite bands.

I waited until my deluxe version arrived from the States before I listened to the bonus tracks, as I felt like the album-release experience had been diluted by how much of it had been heard prior to release, so this was my way of keeping it interesting.

I love how this song is a throwback to the older times, almost as if it's a song they wrote and recorded ten years ago, and then re-produced it with the latest production techniques and musical tastes. It works wonderfully, and it's awesome that you car hear everyone's individual influences in the song, the drums and the guitar coming out very strong.

I understand why it's not on the main album, but it's up there with AIMH, Ink and True Love on my favourites from this album (that list changes constantly though!).

9/10

i really love this one! Next time i go to see them live i'm gonna bring a sign to see if I can get them to play it :p Ink is my favorite, but this ties for 2nd with a few others, well done Coldplay :)