✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[X10Y] Coldplay on 'X&Y' - Full Commentary

Only one day away until the 10 year mark, since 'X&Y' was released! Here are two full walkthroughs and commentaries for you all, before the celebrations. The audio commentary, via Soundcloud below is from an unknown radio station, with thanks to Dexynboy, who posted it under 'Project X&Y' a few months back.

Soundcloud link

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/208824913&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true"></iframe>

The second walkthrough from the band was with British radio station, XFM:

Chris Martin and Johnny Buckland talked XFM’s John Kennedy through each and every track on their third album, ‘X&Y’:

‘Square One’

“I remember it sounding like Dire Straits – it sounded like ‘Brothers In Arms’ a bit, or maybe I’m thinking of ‘Road To Hell’ by Chris Rea… But it sounded like something.”

‘What If’

“Actually, it came in the middle of the night one night. It came out in one go. It took about a year to record.”

‘White Shadows’

“I think as people listen to the album more it’ll become its own thing more, but it’ll also become apparent how much we’ve plagiarised. To me, really, at the end of our album we should’ve had a bibliography.”

‘Fix You’

“It’s supposed to be a church organ but it isn’t. In fact it’s a keyboard that my father-in-law gave to Gwyneth my wife, and it sat in the house for ages and then I turned it on one day and it had these amazing sounds on it.”

‘Talk’

“We were just mucking around like two young men, doing what boys do. Naked. Naked as the day we were born.”

‘X&Y’

“A lot of people lay into the lyrics, but to me they’re just the questions that everybody has. Whether you’re a famous, or ex-famous, pop star or whatever, I’m sure everyone has some of these questions. Or maybe it’s just me.”

‘Speed Of Sound’

“‘Speed of Sound’ is about the miracles that surround us every day that we take for granted. For example, Johnny Buckland.”

‘A Message’

“Funnily enough it’s a very toiletry-based song, because I wrote it with no clothes on and in the morning I showed it to John and I played it to him in a men’s… in a gentleman’s room. You know what I’m trying to say.”

‘Low’

“This is when we went back and re-recorded a load of the other ones ‘cos Johnny had kind of switched on at that point. He spent ten months following along and then decided to be a guitar hero.”

‘The Hardest Part’

“It has absolutely no invention in it whatsoever, but it’s one of those songs which you can’t ignore. For us it’s kind of our tribute to REM.”

‘Swallowed In The Sea’

“This song was one of the first songs we finished writing, so it was always on the album but we took ages to get it right, we recorded it about 100 million different ways…”

‘Twisted Logic’

“It’s our first attempt at singing something which isn’t about a girl or girls or friends. it’s as politicial as we’ve been able to get, and it’s supposed to be an optimistic end to the album.”

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...