✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay and Birds

Sunflower85

Hi everyone!

For those who haven't seen my short introduction in the "new here" sub-forum, I am a newly minted Coldplay fan. I didn't just find out about them, I just never listened to their songs until recently. I've been obsessing over it ever since, and there's one thing I noticed. I noticed that Coldplay mentions birds. A lot. As longtime fans you may probably already have the answer to this, but what is the significance of birds in Coldplay's music? Has this been addressed in an interview?

Examples I can think of and that I've encountered while discovering their music:

-Speed of Sound (X&Y)

-Up with the Birds (Mylo Xyloto)

-O 'Fly On' (Ghost Stories)

-Birds (A Head Full of Dreams)

-Amazing Day (A Head Full of Dreams)

-Birds (A Head Full of Dreams)

also 1.36

"Climb up a ladder

Look up and you see birds"

i think the answer is simple. Chris is a bird boy. :no_mouth:

but really, there's a clear link between birds/flying and escapism, which is something that Chris writes about a lot in various forms. sometimes it's birds, sometimes it's space or ocean, sometimes it's literally The Escapist :P Chris is definitely an idealist and dreamer so the connection makes sense to me.

Fish fell out of water

Bird stuck on the ground

Chaos giving all

Everything is upside down

- All I Can Think About Is You

you have a real knack to figure out chris' mumblings :)

Someone might as well name four birds after them because there are SO many bird references.

When people discover new species of animals sometimes they name the species after a famous person.

Cacatua chrismartinus sounds like a cool bird. (I put it in the parrot genus to jab at how much Chris talks)

Just to add, I'll make Guy, Aptenodytes Berrymanus, so he could drunkenly question his own existence as a penguin.

As for the Jonny and Will I need to find a defining characteristic of both of them to find the perfect bird.

Someone might as well name four birds after them because there are SO many bird references.

When people discover new species of animals sometimes they name the species after a famous person.

Cacatua chrismartinus sounds like a cool bird. (I put it in the parrot genus to jab at how much Chris talks)

Just to add, I'll make Guy, Aptenodytes Berrymanus, so he could drunkenly question his own existence as a penguin.

As for the Jonny and Will I need to find a defining characteristic of both of them to find the perfect bird.

martins are already a type of bird, so :no_mouth: