✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Synths make X&Y too cold and impersonal

ugadawg5

X&Y is a fine album, make no bones about it. The album could lose about half of the synth production though, and it would sound twice as good. The intimacy of the first two albums has been somewhat lost with this (in my mind) excessive production.

The warm acoustic strums of "Sparks", as well as the euphoric but simple chorus and simple combination of Johnny's guitar and Will's drums on "In My Place" are what made me fall in love with the band. "Careful Where You Stand" gives me a "wrapped up in a blanket with my girl during a cold winter day" type feeling.

The point is Coldplay's minimalism lends itself to bringing out the emotion in their music. The overproduction of X&Y makes Coldplay feel alien to me, which is a shame. The final product is too impersonal for my tastes. I can only hope some live recordings later on will change my mind. I do like the album, but it doesn't fill me with the euphoria that songs such as "Yellow" and "The Scientist" did.

P.S. - Who else thinks that Gravity would have been an incredible addition to X&Y. See you in Atlanta on Sept. 28 at Philips for the concert of the year!

I was also disappointed with the production. I wish they would go back and do what they did on Parachutes and on A Rush of Blood To The Head. After listening to X&Y, I had to go back and listen to A Rush of Blood and Parachutes to remind myself why I love Coldplay.

Actually I havent listened to X&Y yet its being released today here in Sweden.

But I must agree with what i've heard from the small clips and hearing SoS and Things I dont understand

its too much synth-strings.

I dont like that, it feels so ''atmospheery''.

Impersonal is exactly what it feels.

Actually I was just going to make a thread about this, but you got before me :)

If a layered, rich, thick, sweet, lush, dark and harmonic sound is "over-produced", then I want more of it. I don't believe this album to be over-produced at all. It's sound is amazing and envelopes you. The synths sound are so rich and chill-inducing.. Oh and Swive, enough with the 'I wish it sounded like parachutes and arobtth. As i've said before their guitarist, mr. Buckland said quote about their music,"If ever we fall back on our own tricks or things we've done before, it becomes boring." Coldplay changed, I say for the better.

I totally agree. I mean, I'm new to the forum but i've loved coldplay forever. I had a bit of a "whats going on here?" kind of thing when i first heard some of the songs. But really, listen to Fix You, What If?, X&Y and try not to be overcome by the music. It is AWESOME! Lush, is a great word to describe it. I think its been a natural progression and I really love it. I find myself going, "love this song" to just about every song in the album!

I watched the AOL concert and I love the old stuff, but I actually found myself hanging out for the new songs. There is a lot of umphhh in X&Y and i gotta say listening to it on the bus this morning i found it extremely hard to sit still and not look like an absolute idiot like X&Y makes me act like in places. I mean, some of the build ups are just begging to be anticipated and head banged to. And while i get what you mean by its not as "blanketty" but its still there, its not going to go away, they've just gone in a new direction slightly.

Colduser - I agree X&Y is great!

The intro to 'Square One' reminded me a lot of Pink Floyd; specifically 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond'. Perhaps this is where the inspiration for the synth stuff comes from?

Nonetheless, I like the synths. I gives the music an ethereal quality to it, as if it came from the heavens with spaceships. And if you listen to the wisdom embedded in the songs... wow. Just... wow. This album is up there with the greats, most definately.

yes... thanx for that thread... :)

I just got the album today and I'm listening to it now for the third time... It didn't catched me up to now (hope that isn't a bad sign).

So I really love the title of this topic because that's just how I feel... I mean, what I'm really worried about, I'm a huge fan of synthies (my favourit band is Depeche Mode :D )and the synthies are good arranged on "X&Y" but somehow... It's really a little bit strange and not typical for the band.

It's kind of sad that they actually lost their special atmosphere... the one that they had on "Parachutes" and also on a lot of "Rush of Blood" numbers... but this time... I don't know. I need to listen to it just a little bit more :D

yes... thanx for that thread... :)

I just got the album today and I'm listening to it now for the third time... It didn't catched me up to now (hope that isn't a bad sign).

So I really love the title of this topic because that's just how I feel... I mean, what I'm really worried about, I'm a huge fan of synthies (my favourit band is Depeche Mode :D )and the synthies are good arranged on "X&Y" but somehow... It's really a little bit strange and not typical for the band.

It's kind of sad that they actually lost their special atmosphere... the one that they had on "Parachutes" and also on a lot of "Rush of Blood" numbers... but this time... I don't know. I need to listen to it just a little bit more :D

The point is Coldplay's minimalism lends itself to bringing out the emotion in their music.

P.S. - Who else thinks that Gravity would have been an incredible addition to X&Y.

You're absolutely correct. The beautiful minimalism of songs like Careful Where You Stand and Don't Panic are what makes this band great. I think that's why I, and I'm sure a lot of other fans, were more excited by the live, acoustic performances of their new music than the final studio album.

And, yeah, Gravity should have been recorded for the album. It would have been a much better piano ballad than What If.

:O!

Hush thy mouth! What if is beautiful. I was a bit bummed that there wasn't the awesome acoustic brilliance in this album, but what is there i think it great anyway. Like what has been said before, no one wants just a recycled ROBTTH or Parachutes. The synths that start Swallowed by the Sea are chilling and extremely atmospheric. They set the song off perfectly. Chilling sure - but not cold. There is plenty of emotion there.

I think that this album take part of the evolution of their Coldplay's music, despite have got songs too sad.

In another part, I think that Parachutes is too too too sad and depressing. I don't want cry listening music, I want that music make me happy.