✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

$70 for 17 songs?

Lawtalkinguys

Am I the only one who's a little frustrated by the fact that CP is playing 17 songs on the new tour? They played around 14 the first time i saw them in June of 01 and have since released almost 20 b-sides and 35 album songs. Someone explain to me how they can now charge 70 for seats and 40 for lawn seats at almost every venue and leave out "staple" live songs like Trouble. This is the FIRST tour where they apparently don't even play a B-Side!

I know they aren't in "radiohead" land yet, but they play 26-29 songs on tour. I'll feel really slighted if I hear a <2 hr concert.

And why did they retire some great songs from the 01-02 live era? For example, Idiot is probably one of the coolest tunes they've penned and it's been relegated to uber-fan's computers as a pirated bootleg.

'I think its's mainly due to Chris voice, hitting all those high notes is quite hard doing it every other night, he needs to be careful and not strain it, I've read that on tour he actually has his own bus tour, to minimize contact with smoking and all that crap, and the other three ride another bus I've seen them twice and yes their concerts are short compared to otheres but I'd still would pay 70 without giving it a second thought

I know they aren't in "radiohead" land yet, but they play 26-29 songs on tour. I'll feel really slighted if I hear a <2 hr concert.

Let's not overexaggerate now. Radiohead plays at most 25 songs tops. Usually 20 songs or so. Check out their setlists/bootlegs over the past 5 yrs or so.

The show goes for about an hour and a half, which is fairly comparable to any of the other concerts I've been to (non-Coldplay). Hartford was my first Coldplay show and loved it.

However, the full show was great, very high energy, and there was never a period of boredom. Some fans may complain about certain B-Sides and older songs (personally, I would have liked Amsterdam and Moses), but they covered all of their major hits from the previous albums, with "Trouble" being I guess the song that most ppl wanted to hear. I may have also liked to hear perhaps a U2 cover. But my gripes are being nitpicky, they are minor.

However, the show was sweet for the entire time and never dragged. Although let's say a DMB concert is much longer, those drag for a while when each song is like 10-15 minutes long.

Ive seen Radiohead 3 times and Coldplay 2 times. I will be seeing Coldplay 4 more times this tour. I know its alot of money, but I dont doubt for a second that I will be having an amazing time at each show.

I saw Radiohead at Liberty State Park two nights in a row in 2001. One night they did 4 encores. It was insane. Amazing. Yes they can do that. This was after their 5th album release. Coldplay only is on number 3.

But Radiohead I feel has more dedicated fans than Coldplay fans. If Coldplay were to breakout the B-sides and rare songs, which would be awesome for most of us here, alot of common fans would be like "what the hell is this?". Radiohead isnt popular among the masses like Coldplay is. They can play night after night rare songs with most people knowing those songs.

It'd be nice if Coldplay would play about 20 songs, but I think chino is right in that Chris might not be able to handle the high notes every other night of the week.

And if they did break out songs like Idiot, A Ladder to the Sun, or Proof night after night, some fans would be disappointed that they didn't get to hear the songs they know (althought I'd love to see Proof played).

SuchARush: I suppose you were right, it was a bit of hyperbole. But let's be fair, 24-25 is the norm. 6-8 songs more on a tour can be a matter of 40 minutes of music.

I distinctly remember paying 75 quid to see Radiohead at the sold out Manchester Apollo show in 2003. The 2nd of 5 clubdates, their first small venue tour since 1997 (bout 2500-3000 people). Including the train from London AND hotel, my expenses were LESS than what your boyfriend paid for those Toronto tix.

I know things change, but I saw them for less than $20 at the EF in Philly in 2001. I've seen them 20 times and never paid a dime over 35 so I'm a little taken aback by the amount of $ being bandied about to see them. I know their MEGA now, but my LORD.

I'll accept that reason for the limited setlist (voice) I think you may be spot on. I'm just a little disappointed. For example, at the Pier 6 Pavillion in Baltimore in September 2002 they played a setlist of 18 songs. This is before they expanded their catalog by about 20 songs. I would like to see them expand their show to about average for a band with their popularity and repertoire.

Does anyone remember the end of the Parachutes leg when they played 4-5 b-sides and new songs a night (GPASUYF, Animals, Idiot, Murder, AROBTTH, etc.) yet people were paying top dollar for those small venue shows? I don't think it hurts them to play "less known" songs, in fact I think the new fans will scurry to get their hands on those songs.

I understand where you're coming from. I was slightly disapointed by the set list. I was hoping something different would be added for the American leg, but to no avail... I was upset to see that Amsterdam, Rush of Blood, Shiver, Trouble, etc all seemed to have been retired, especially when they're my favorite songs.

I think, however, that the times really are changing for Coldplay, there's a whole mass of new fans. Let's face it, people want to hear what they know because what fun is a concert if you don't know what's going on? So I think in a way CP's catering to this. They're playing bigger venues, more is, in a way, at stake for them. I'm going tonight to the Tweeter show with my friend, and she only has X&Y. Perfect example right there. I'm going to have to talk her through the Parachutes/ROBTTH stuff. God forbid they play any B-Sides!

(By the way: I only payed 49 for my tickets, I think in the presale they overcharged by 20 bucks, so that's been refunded? Either way I almost payed 300 to see them tomorrow night as well! :lol: What we fans do!)

I have to agree with the original poster to an extent, though. I will be going to see them during the tour, but I find it pretty hilarious that I am paying $50 more than I did to see them during one of their club tours earlier this year, and I am getting only 2 extra songs in return. I know that I am going to have a great time, but come on, give us some more love! I am not even asking for much, just ONE B-side and it would all be worth it.

SuchARush: I suppose you were right, it was a bit of hyperbole. But let's be fair, 24-25 is the norm. 6-8 songs more on a tour can be a matter of 40 minutes of music.

That's still an overexaggerated figure; a quick scan of their shows since 2001 shows that the band rarely plays over 23 songs.

Personally I like concerts less than 1:40... I can burn/overburn the bootlegs on one CD.

Saw them 5 times in 2001 6 times on tour in 2003 and every time they played more than 23 songs. They played 25 at the earls court and MSG gigs. FANTASTIC. Either way.. that's 6 OR 7 MORE SONGS at minimum. As concerts go, that's an ENTIRE opening act. 40 minutes or more.

That's the Tweeter show in Camden? I'll be there. (Doesn't it irk you when the call it the "Camden" show? C'mon, it's the "Philly" show. ;-)

I paid the 70 xx dollars for the Homdel show. That one hurt (156 after service fees for 2 tix).

hey hey hey. this is camden, new jersey. and im dam proud of my garden state. :) even tho every artist ive seen there still goes "hello philadelphia"

when i first saw the setlists being posted, i thought the show was a few songs short. but i just saw the show at tweeter center in MA and i have to say it was the perfect length.

of course there were songs they did not play that i would have loved to have heard, but when you play bigger venues, you bring in a lot of casual fans, and you have to cater to them a bit in order to create an overall enthusiasm in the crowd. a half hour full of lesser known songs would put a lot of those people to sleep unfortunately.

Ive seen Radiohead 3 times and Coldplay 2 times. I will be seeing Coldplay 4 more times this tour. I know its alot of money' date=' but I dont doubt for a second that I will be having an amazing time at each show.[/quote']

wow..that's dedication right there.. I'd love to get to go to more than one of the shows. Even if it's the same stuff, it's still coldplay, right? Also, you might consider volunteering for Oxfam at the Coldplay concerts. You just approach people and tell them a bit about Make Trade Fair, get them to sign the petition, and you get to see most of the show for free, and your travel expenses are paid. I'd be all up for doing it, but I'm not 18 :-\

well i saw them in cincinnati last night and it was a great show. now my three favorite bands are smashing pumpkins, pearl jam and radiohead. when i saw radiohead they played 24 songs, each time i've seen the pumpkins 24 songs and pearl jam play 28-40 on any given night depending on what kind of mood they are in. of course these bands have a ton of albums at this point in their careers ( god rest the pumpkins...unless crazy billy corgan brings them back)

anyway i enjoyed the show, but i do think since they are playing larger venues that a 20 song setlists would be pretty solid, they have enough good material for that. then again it may be like someone mentioned before that his voice can't take it, but they do need to throw at least one b-side in there, a little see you soon or something for the fans.

overall i really enjoyed the show last night though.

and does chris always come out into the audience on in my place or was that just in cincinnati, it was pretty cool