🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Golf - Latest: US PGA Championship, Oak Hill Country Club, Rochester, New York (8-11 August)

Sternly

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say too much about this tournament because obviously I've half watched it, but it does seem a little bit random when every player is struggling on a course and someone puts a few shots together to become a Major winner. That's kindof why I was only semi-interested because I thought it would go this way.

Not to take anything away from Rose, he stepped up and deserves it as much as anyone.

_68207828_68207827.jpg

US Open 2013: Justin Rose wins first major at Merion

US Open, final leaderboard

+1: Rose (Eng)+3: Mickelson (US), Day (Aus)+5: Dufner (US), Els (SA), Horschel (US), Mahan (US)Others: +9: Westwood (Eng)+11: Laird (Sco), Harrington (Ire), Poulter (Eng)+13 : Woods (US), Donaldson (Wal), Lawrie (Sco)+14: McIlroy (NI)+15: Garcia (Spa), Scott (Aus)

Justin Rose clinched his maiden major title to become the first Englishman for 43 years to win the US Open.

The 32-year-old won by two shots from now six-time runner-up Phil Mickelson and Jason Day on a gripping final day.

Rose, also the first Englishman to win a major since Nick Faldo in 1996, fired a level-par 70 to end one over as overnight leader Mickelson carded 74.

Australian Day took 71 as England's Luke Donald (75) collapsed to six over on the treacherous Merion course.

Rose, the world number five, looked up to the sky with tears in his eyes after he tapped in his final putt, and admitted later to thinking of his father and long-time mentor Ken, who died from leukaemia in 2002.

Mickelson, celebrating his 43rd birthday, needed to birdie the last to force an 18-hole play-off on Monday, but the four-time major champion could only make a bogey five.

"It wasn't lost on me that today was Father's Day," said Rose of his gesture when he was presented with the trophy on the 18th green.

"A lot of us come from great men and we have a responsibility to our children to show what a great man can be.

"For it to all just work out for me, on such an emotional day, I couldn't help but look up to the heavens and think that my old dad Ken had something do do with it."

Rose, who was born in Johannesburg but brought up in Hampshire, burst onto the wider scene as a 17-year-old amateur when he finished in a tie for fourth in the 1998 Open at Royal Birkdale.

Play mediaHe went on to miss 21 consecutive cuts when he joined the paid ranks, before winning his first professional event in 2002. His biggest victory to date was the WGC Cadillac Championship last March.

Rose's previous best major finish was tied-third in the US PGA behind Rory McIlroy last year, while he has had six other top-10s in majors.

He becomes the third UK winner of the title in four years after Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy (2011) and Graeme McDowell (2010).

The last Englishman to lift the US Open was Tony Jacklin, who won by seven shots at Hazeltine, Minnesota, in 1970. Five other Englishmen won the US Open pre-war, while a host of Scotsmen won early editions of the event.

Rose first hit the front at the eighth hole as the lead changed hands countless times on a tumultuous final day.

Mickelson was seemingly finished after two double bogeys in his first five holes, but the mercurial home favourite holed his second shot for an eagle at the 10th to regain top spot and reignite his challenge.

The pair duelled down the notorious final stretch - with Hunter Mahan also sharing the lead at one point - but Mickelson was unable to avenge his Ryder Cup singles defeat by Rose last year and clinch a first US Open title.

"For me, it's very heart-breaking," said Mickelson, who had previously finished second at the event in 1999, 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2009. "This was my best chance on a golf course I really liked. I felt like this was as good an opportunity as you could ask for and to not do it hurts."

Former world number one Donald, who played alongside Rose, fell away early with three straight bogeys from the third and then a double bogey on the sixth.

Open champion Ernie Els (69) and Americans Jason Dufner (67), Hunter Mahan (75) and Billy Horschel (74) ended tied-fourth.

World number one Tiger Woods's challenge was already over before the final round and he ended 13 over after a 74, while second-ranked McIlroy took 76 for 14 over.

"I did a lot of things right. Unfortunately I did a few things wrong, as well," said Woods, chasing a 15th major title and first since 2008. "I struggled with the speed (of the greens) all week."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/22930726

_68207450_68207449.jpg

US Open 2013: Justin Rose pays tribute to late father

Justin Rose said his US Open win was "all my childhood dreams come true".

Rose, 32, is the first Englishman to win the event for 43 years and the first to win a major since Nick Faldo at the Masters in 1996.

"My coach Sean Foley sent me a text this morning which said: 'Go out there and be the man your dad taught you to be and that your kids can look up to'.

"You saw me look to the heavens with it being Father's Day - I was just trying to remember my dad."

Rose raised his fingers to the sky after tapping in for par on the last in tribute to his father Ken, a massive influence on his career who died from leukaemia in 2002.

Meanwhile, American Phil Mickelson conceded that his sixth runner-up finish at the tournament was hard to take.

Mickelson is only one shy of the career record of seven runner-up finishes in the same major, held by Jack Nicklaus at the Open Championship.

However, 18-time major winner Nicklaus won the Open Championship on three occasions, while Mickelson has never won the US Open.

"If I had won today or if I ultimately win, I'll look back at the other US Opens and think that it was a positive thing," said Mickelson, who was 43 on Sunday.

"If I never get the US Open then every time I think of the US Open I just think of heartbreak."

Luke Donald, whose own title hopes went up in smoke courtesy of a final-round 75, was full of admiration for compatriot and playing partner Rose.

"For the last few years he has been known as one of the best ball-strikers in the game," said Donald, who is still searching for his maiden major title.

"He showed that. To win a US Open, you have to have ultimate control of your golf ball. He did that. He hit some really clutch iron shots down the stretch.''

World number one Tiger Woods, whose long wait for a 15th major title goes on, said he struggled with pace of the Merion greens all week.

"Putts were breaking a lot more," said the 37 year old, who finished tied for 32nd. "I gave it a little more break and then it would hang. That's kind of the way it was this week."

Woods's last victory in a major tournament came at the 2008 US Open at Torrey Pines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/22931644

• 1 month later...

The Open 2013: Tiger Woods favourite at Muirfield

_68791269_woods_pa1.jpg

The Open 2013: Tiger Woods favourite at Muirfield

The 142nd Open Championship gets under way at Muirfield on Thursday with the game's best golfers vying to lift the famous Claret Jug.

In what promises to be one of the most open tournaments in recent years, 156 players will aim to add their names to an illustrious list of champions at the East Lothian course.

Muirfield's roll call of winners reads like a who's who of golf with Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus, Lee Trevino, Tom Watson, Nick Faldo (twice) and Els among those to have claimed the title over the iconic Scottish links.

World number one Tiger Woods is favourite with bookmakers, while Ernie Els of South Africa is the defending champion and the last man to win the Open at Muirfield in 2002.

England's Justin Rose leads the British charge after clinching the US Open in June, while Australia's Masters champion Adam Scott is keen to make up for his collapse over the last four holes at Royal Lytham 12 months ago.

Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy, the world number two, is seeking a first Open title to add to his US Open and US PGA wins, but a poor season following a switch to a new equipment supplier has dampened expectations.

American Woods has not won a major for five years following scandal, injury and a loss of form, but he has won four times this season to get back to the top of the rankings and is expected to mount a strong challenge on the banks of the Firth of Forth.

Woods, 37, won the last of his three Opens at Hoylake near Liverpool in 2006 but is stranded on 14 major titles as he chases Jack Nicklaus's record of 18.

Woods's victory on the Wirral was built on a strategy of irons off the tee for position on a fast-running, sun-baked course, and the recent hot weather and good forecast for the rest of the week should ensure similar conditions at Muirfield.

"This is a fantastic championship on one of the best venues," said Woods, whose bid to win a third major in a row was blown severely off track in a fierce storm on the Saturday of the 2002 Open at Muirfield.

Woods tees off with Northern Ireland's Graeme McDowell and 2010 Open champion Louis Oosthuizen of South Africa at 14:45 BST on Thursday.

Rose won his maiden major at Merion last month to climb to world number three, but only four players since the war - Woods (2000), Tom Watson (1982), Lee Trevino (1971) and Ben Hogan (1953) - have won the US Open and Open in the same season.

"The challenge for me is going to be staying in this tournament, not being dragged back to Merion every five minutes," said Rose, who gets his campaign under way with Els and American Brandt Snedeker at 09:11 BST.

Rose, who finished fourth in the Open as a 17-year-old amateur in 1998, became the first Englishman to lift the US Open since Tony Jacklin in 1970.

And the 32-year-old is among those striving to become the first English player to win the Claret Jug since Faldo, coincidentally at Muirfield, in 1992. Northern Ireland's Darren Clarke won the Open two years ago, while Paul Lawrie was the last Scot to triumph when he won at Carnoustie in 1999.

The build-up to the tournament has not been without controversy, given Muirfield's staunch male-only membership policy.

Open organisers the R&A have been criticised for taking the event to the club, run by the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers, while conducting a global campaign to grow the game.

R&A chief Peter Dawson defended the club's right to make its own membership decisions and rejected the view that staging the open at single-sex clubs harms participation.

The first group to tee off at 06:32 BST on Thursday will be England's Oliver Fisher, Scotland's Lloyd Saltman and Australian Peter Senior.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/23349205

The Open 2013: Tiger Woods & Lee Westwood make Open move

_68846183_mmglfopend2westwoodroundup.jpg

The Open 2013: Tiger Woods & Lee Westwood make Open move

THE OPEN: SECOND-ROUND LEADERBOARD -3: Jimenez (Spa)-2: Stenson (Swe), Westwood (Eng), Woods (US), D Johnson (US)-1: Laird (Sco), Cabrera-Bello (Spa), Z Johnson (US), Cabrera (Arg)Par: Moore (US)Selected: +1: Clarke (NI), Schwartzel (SA), B Watson (US), Poulter (Eng), Mickelson (US)+4: McDowell (NI), Kaymer (Ger)+6: Lyle (Sco)+7: Fitzpatrick (Eng) amateur, Mullen (Eng) amateurMissed cut: +10: Donald (Eng), Rose (Eng)+12: McIlroy (NI)

Tiger Woods and Lee Westwood edged into contention after a topsy-turvy second day of the 142nd Open Championship.

The pair finished on two under par and then watched as the front-runners faltered to leave them one off the pace set by 49-year-old Miguel Angel Jimenez on another testing day at Muirfield.

The Spaniard carded a level-par 71 to inherit the lead, with Woods, Westwood, Sweden's Henrik Stenson and American Dustin Johnson in the chasing pack.

Jimenez, who broke his leg in a skiing accident in the winter, would become the oldest major winner if he triumphs on Sunday, beating the 48 years four months of American Julius Boros when he won the US PGA in 1968.

"Enjoy yourself, what you do in life - that's the secret - that's what I'm doing," he said.

"I feel relaxed, I play golf for a living and I've been doing the same thing for 25 years."

Jimenez, famed for his quirky warm-up routine and love of Rioja wine, refused to alter his routine just because he was leading the Open.

"I'm going to hit some balls, I'm going to have a nice cigar, have dinner with my girlfriend and with my sons and when the sun comes up tomorrow I will deal with everything," he said.

Rory McIlroy was unable to claw back ground on his opening 79 and carded 75 to miss the cut.

The 24-year-old admitted he used the second part of his round to practice after realising he was going to miss the cut and used his driver where possible to prepare for upcoming tournaments.

"It's the first time I've missed a cut at the Open, so it's obviously quite disappointing," he said. "But I have a clearer picture of what I need to work on and what I need to do to put things right."

England's US Open champion Justin Rose (75, 77) and former world number one Luke Donald (80, 72) also missed out on the weekend.

World number one Woods, chasing his first major since 2008, birdied the last for a 71, while Westwood made the early headlines with six birdies in his first 12 holes to take a share of the lead at five under before sliding back.

"It'll be a fun weekend. This course will be difficult," said Woods, who won the last of his three Opens on a similarly firm and fiery course at Hoylake in 2006.

Zach Johnson, the overnight leader, was still clear with five to play but dropped four shots for a 75 to end in a group on one under, with Scotland's Martin Laird (71), Spain's Rafael Cabrera-Bello (74) and Argentine Angel Cabrera (72).

American Ryan Moore, one shot further back, was the only other player at level par or better.

Northern Ireland's Darren Clarke, the 2011 champion, bogeyed the last to finish one over after a 71 which included a quadruple-bogey eight on the sixth after taking three to get out of a greenside bunker.

Also in the group at one over were last year's runner-up Adam Scott, the Masters champion, four-time major winner Phil Mickelson, former Masters champions Charl Schwartzel and Bubba Watson and England's Ian Poulter.

Poulter, who was scathing of the course set-up on day one, said there was only one "dicey" pin position - the 15th - on Friday, but insisted conditions were just as tough given the hot sun and drying wind, blowing from the east rather than the west.

"You've got to suck it up, I guess," he said. "It's the same for everybody. And unfortunately you've got to grind through it. You don't have another option, if you want to win to tournament.

"It's pretty wide open. It's easy to get on a bad spell on this golf course."

Defending champion Ernie Els ended in a logjam on six over alongside former winners Padraig Harrington and Sandy Lyle and Spain's Sergio Garcia.

Sir Nick Faldo, 56, back at the site of two of his three Open victories, shot 78 to end 15 over in his first Open since 2010.

Among the others to miss the cut were 63-year-old five-time champion Tom Watson, American Rickie Fowler and Italy's Wentworth PGA champion Matteo Manassero.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/23386232

The Open 2013: Lee Westwood leads Tiger Woods at Muirfield

_68860107_mmwestwoodroundrecap.png

The Open 2013: Lee Westwood leads Tiger Woods at Muirfield

THE OPEN: THIRD-ROUND LEADERBOARD

-3: Westwood (Eng)-1: Mahan (US), Woods (US)Par: Scott (Aus)+1: Moore (US), Cabrera (Arg), Z Johnson (US), Stenson (Swe)Selected: +2: Mickelson (US), F Molinari (Ita)+3: Garcia (Spa)+5: Els (SA), Poulter (Eng)+9: Fitzpatrick (Eng) amateur

Lee Westwood held off Tiger Woods to take a two-shot lead into the final round of the 142nd Open Championship at Muirfield.

The pair duelled on an absorbing afternoon in the Scottish sun, but Westwood held firm to fire 70 and finish three under.

Woods faltered at the 17th and carded 72 to end one under alongside fellow American Hunter Mahan, who shot 68, as overnight leader Miguel Angel Jimenez fell away with a 77.

Masters champion Adam Scott, runner-up to Ernie Els at Royal Lytham last year after blowing a four-shot lead over the final four holes, inched to level par on his own with a one-under 70.

The sun-baked course and testing wind were not the only difficulties on the shores of the Firth of Forth as tournament timekeepers clamped down on slow play.

A number of groups were put on the clock, including the final pairings of Woods and Westwood and Jimenez and Stenson, while Japan's Hideki Maruyama was penalised a shot for two slow-play warnings.

But the timekeeping issue was a sideshow to the drama in the penultimate group, which consisted of world number 12 Westwood and top-ranked Woods.

The duo began the day two under, one shot off the pace of Jimenez, but the duel ignited on the long fifth when Westwood took a driver off the fairway for his second shot and then holed a long, curving, rolling putt from off the front of the green for an eagle to take the lead.

A Westwood birdie to a scrappy Woods bogey from over the back at the short seventh gave the Englishman a three-shot lead, but the pair were level again after a Woods birdie at the ninth.

The 40-year-old Westwood stuck his nose in front at three under with a birdie on the 14th but pulled his tee shot into thick rough on the short 16th and could only hack out short of the green. He putted up the bank to 15 feet, but crucially slotted the putt to escape with just a bogey to slip back alongside the American.

But when Woods found a bunker and made a scruffy bogey on the long 17th to Westwood's birdie, the Florida-based Englishman was back in front by two from Woods and clubhouse leader Mahan.

Two pars up the last put Westwood in pole position to clinch his maiden major at the 62nd attempt. Westwood, who has had seven top-three finishes at majors in the past five years, was second at the Open at St Andrews in 2010, third at Turnberry in 2009 and fourth at Troon in 2004.

Woods, who is chasing a 15th major and a first since 2008, has never won a major when trailing going into the final day.

"I was trying to grind along and play my own game, regardless of what Lee was doing or what anyone else was doing," he said. "This golf course is a tough test and I was just trying to execute my own game plan. And wherever that ended up, it ended up.

"I'm pleased where I'm at; I'm only two back. There's only one guy ahead of me.

"But it's not just us two. There's a bunch of guys who have a chance to win this tournament. And all of us need to really play well on Sunday to win it."

"My emotions were pretty calm all day," said Westwood. "I just tried to stick to my game plan and try not to get into too much trouble. And I made putts when I needed to. The only time I let out any emotion was the eagle on the fifth, I gave a little fist pump there."

Argentina's double major winner Angel Cabrera (73), first-round leader and 2007 Masters champion Zach Johnson (73), fellow American Ryan Moore (72) and Sweden's Henrik Stenson (74) were tied on one over.

Phil Mickelson climbed to one under after 12 holes but gave away shots at the three of the next four holes for a 72 to end two over alongside Italy's Francesco Molinari (72).

Spain's Sergio Garcia found some form with a 68 to climb to three over alongside Matsuyama (72), American Brandt Snedeker (69), who led after the second round last year, Wales' Jamie Donaldson (71) and Australian Jason Day (72).

Els carded a one-under 70 to end five over but will be mindful of last year when he came from six strokes back on the final day to overhaul Scott.

"Somebody can get hot, and if the leaders don't get hot, you're in the ballgame," said Els, who won at Muirfield back in 2002.

"That's what I'm hoping for. It's tough when you've won and had a lot of things going your way and then the next year you don't get the bounces. But that's links golf. I'm a competitor. You're not going to lie down until the 72nd hole."

Scotland's Martin Laird edged to within one of the lead before a quintuple bogey nine on the third dented his challenge. Three further bogeys, a double and a triple scuppered his chances completely as he ran up an 81 for nine over.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/23393352

The Open 2013: Lee Westwood dares to dream of major title

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRasYyxv1JE]Lee Westwood third round press conference - YouTube[/ame]

The Open 2013: Lee Westwood dares to dream of major title

Lee Westwood will allow himself to dream of lifting the Claret Jug before knuckling down for a final gruelling 18 holes at Muirfield that could define his career.

Westwood cuts as relaxed a figure as you will see this close to achieving his dream of a major title. And it is that control of his emotions that saw him stare down Tiger Woods in a third-day duel to take a two-shot lead into Sunday's finale.

Impassive behind his wrap-around shades, as much to deal with the glare of his vivid orange T-shirt as the Scottish sun, Westwood took the rough with the smooth in Saturday's penultimate group with Woods.

The only show of emotion was a friendly fist pump after holing an unlikely long putt from off the green for an eagle on the fifth.

The straight-talking Englishman, with a good line in dry asides, was asked afterwards how he will deal with the pressure of sitting on the Open lead overnight.

"I'm not in a high-pressure situation because I'm going to go have dinner, and I'm so good with a knife and fork now that I don't feel any pressure at all," he said.

"I'll think about winning the Open Championship at some stage, I'm sure. I don't see anything wrong with that, picture yourself holding the Claret Jug and seeing your name at the top of the leaderboard.

"When it comes to tee-off around three-ish, I should be in the same frame of mind as I was today. I felt nice and calm out there and in control of what I was doing."

Westwood has twice risen to world number one, topped the European rankings twice and is an eight-time stalwart of the European Ryder Cup team. He has also won 40 times around the world. But the one thing missing from his CV is a major title.

However, he says it wouldn't be the end of the world if he gets to the end of his career without a major. But at 40, the clock is ticking and the uber laid-back demeanour is almost a defence mechanism.

He believes his experience in 61 previous majors, which includes seven top-three finishes in the past five years, has taught him the right approach.

At the Masters in 2010, Westwood led going into the final round but was eclipsed by some Phil Mickelson magic to lose by one.

And he had a golden chance to win the Open at Turnberry in 2009. Thinking he needed to birdie the last, he took a run at his putt and saw it race 10 feet past. He missed the one coming back as well, to finish outside the play-off by one shot.

"I've had lots of chances, sometimes I've played well, other times I've played not too well, although I can't remember playing that poorly," he said.

"Obviously I had a chance at Turnberry. I messed up a bit. That's just getting out of the zone, worrying about what other people were doing and not focusing on my own game.

"So even though I haven't won a major, I know what it takes to win one. It's just a case of going out there and having the confidence in my game, which I've got."

While Westwood dearly wants to win a major, Woods, you sense, needs to.

The world number one has been marooned on 14 majors for five years now, and with each passing tournament, the doubt grows that he will complete his life's work and surpass Jack Nicklaus's record of 18.

Woods, who has never won a major when trailing going into the final day, has also been close in recent years after bouncing back from off-course scandal, injury and swing changes.

In his 16 majors since his last win - the 2008 US Open - he has finished in the top four six times. The problem recently has been getting close enough to mount meaningful final-day challenges.

But only two shots adrift, and with only one player in front of him, Woods is in touching distance of relaunching his major quest.

"I'm looking forward to the challenge of it," he said. "I just need to keep putting myself there and eventually I'll get some."

But Woods and Westwood are not the only story, especially at a course as exacting as Muirfield where one small slip can spell disaster.

American Hunter Mahan, who is in a share of second and has the same coach - Sean Foley - as Woods and Westwood, is also chasing a first major title.

Three strokes adrift is Masters champion Adam Scott. He blew four shots in as many holes to gift Ernie Els victory 12 months ago, and will be hoping to turn the tables this year. Els came from six back to win at Lytham, which brings 16 other players into the equation.

But Westwood knows he is under pressure to finally deliver. The biggest expectation, however, comes from himself.

"I don't really live my life outside in," he said. "I don't live it and run it according to what other people think. I live it the other way around, so I have my own ideas and my own dreams and my own plans."

One of which is swigging something refreshing out of the Claret Jug on Sunday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/23393757