🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Euro 2012 to Poland and Ukraine

Nicko84

Poland and Ukraine have surprisingly been chosen to host Euro 2012. The joint bid beat strong favourites Italy along with Croatia/Hungary, making it the first elite sporting event to be held in Eastern Europe since the 1980 Olympics in Moscow.

Michel Platini's announcement sparked jubilant scenes at Cardiff City Hall, after the bid won eight votes in the first round, compared with four for Italy and none for Croatia and Hungary.

World champions Italy were widely expected to win the right to host their first big tournament since World Cup 1990.

However, last summer's Calciopoli match-fixing scandal, along with repeated incidents of violence at Italian grounds, weakened their bid.

It is a risky choice, given the huge infrastructure and stadium improvements needed, along with the huge travelling distances across two large countries.

Additionally, it was believed that UEFA were not keen on having another joint host of the tournament following the Euro 2000 in Belgium and the Netherlands, and Euro 2008 in Austria and Switzerland.

However, it represents ambitious decision that reaches out to emerging areas of the continent and will provide a huge economic and social boost for both countries.

High-profile figures from both countries were deployed to promote the bid, including a Ukrainian contingent of Andriy Shevchenko, Sergei Bubka and Vitaly Klitschko.

Bubka said: "I'm very proud and happy and it will have a huge positive impact on the countries.

"There will not be a problem with the stadia, work on some new ones are already under way - one will be ready later this year and another next year.

"Everything will be done in time and the governments have promised the funding will be made available. This will accelerate the development of infrastructure in our countries."

Matches will be held in four cities from each country, with another four cities in reserve. Although significant improvements will take place at most grounds, only two stadiums - in Gdansk and Warsaw - will be built from scratch.

The Euro 2012 final is proposed for the Olympic Stadium in Kiev, which was built in 1923 but will be renovated and will hold 75,000 for the tournament.

Poland's Dutch head coach Leo Beenhakker said: "Eastern Europe has a great history in sport and in football and they still have great players but what they have been missing has been good infrastructure, stadiums and training facilities.

"Now the governments and the football federations are obliged to realise all their promises within the next five years and make these improvements.

"This is fundamental for football in Poland and Ukraine."

source:Eurosport.co.uk

Congrats to people of Poland and Ukraine, who will be lucky to host this championship......but it's a great punch for us.....THANX MR PLATINI....and thanx to all the italian F.A board who is just a band of thieves............

sorry for this but i'm very angry....

finally, the Italian police and football authorities actually punished for their poor security infrastructure and inbred scandal respectively. Nice one UEFA :)

ian.....i think it's not just for that.....in poland happened the same....and the infrastructures are not better than ours......Anyway our boardmans didn't deserve to EAT money and make affairs again like in Italia'90........I'm just unhappy for my city who will have hosted some matches....and unhappy cause i won't meet foreign supporters......Be sure that at least here....where i live......wouldn't have happened the chaos you've seen in Roma. We've been proud to host 10000 scots last month...... Nothing bad happened.....and they thanked us for the hospitality.....

I was very surprised when I heard about it yesterday. My favourite would have been Hungary/Croatia. IMO these two countries would have been better hosts than Poland and Ukraine, especially due to economical reasons. Especially Croatia has one of the best teams in Europe. Italy has the best stadiums and is a really hospitable country, but after all these scandalous decisions, it would have not been fair to give the Euro Cup to Italy. It's still a shame that clubs like AC Milan are still allowed to play in the CL...

I was very surprised when I heard about it yesterday. My favourite would have been Hungary/Croatia. IMO these two countries would have been better hosts than Poland and Ukraine, especially due to economical reasons. Especially Croatia has one of the best teams in Europe. Italy has the best stadiums and is a really hospitable country, but after all these scandalous decisions, it would have not been fair to give the Euro Cup to Italy. It's still a shame that clubs like AC Milan are still allowed to play in the CL...

i know you're a BAYERN fan and you wanted them to the semis:D:D:D.....Seriously larry...in Italy maybe we don't have the perception of what europe thinks of us and our football.......I totally agree with you about the scandals.....but the race to catch euro champioships is always a politic thing, and our best man involved in was the old f.a president , Franco Carraro, one of the head cutted by last summer chaos has been humiliated by all UEFA. He was into many sports organization....and probably he lost his reputation for the scandals. I don't know why we're still represented by these thieves in europe......I hope all this story will pull out the s*** out of our football:s***** directors and guests...

i know you're a BAYERN fan and you wanted them to the semis:D:D:D.....Seriously larry...in Italy maybe we don't have the perception of what europe thinks of us and our football.......I totally agree with you about the scandals.....but the race to catch euro champioships is always a politic thing, and our best man involved in was the old f.a president , Franco Carraro, one of the head cutted by last summer chaos has been humiliated by all UEFA. He was into many sports organization....and probably he lost his reputation for the scandals. I don't know why we're still represented by these thieves in europe......I hope all this story will pull out the s*** out of our football:s***** directors and guests...

First of all... why do you think I'm a Bayern fan? I hate this club tremendously! :lol:

Well, I understand that you're disappointed about this decision. Only a few, not all clubs were involved in this manipulation. But I really think that it would have been a wrong sign to name Italy as host for the Euro Cup, especially after the pictures we've seen in Catania.

It doesn't mean that all supporters in Italy are hooligans and I'm sure that we would not have seen pictures like this in 2012. But after all these scandals since last year Italian football didn't deserve it, although it's sad.

I agree that it's also a political thing. Money will always be a big reason for any decision...

The main problem IMO is that all three applications were weak. Poland's football has a bigger problem with hooligans than Italy, but no one really knows it, because Polish football isn't famous in other countries and didn't get much attention in the media. A lot of games have been suspended this season due to violent supporters.

Although Poland is part of the European nation the infrastructure is still very bad. There are still no motorways, no hotels, even no stadiums. I don't know if people in Poland are ready to accept tax increase, just to build up all these important things. We don't have to talk about Ukraine... Guess the UEFA will help both countries.

But don't get me wrong, I'm happy for all supporters in Poland and Ukraine that they got the chance to host a tournament. It's one of the best things ever. :) There are only a lot of things to do...

But don't get me wrong, I'm happy for all supporters in Poland and Ukraine that they got the chance to host a tournament. It's one of the best things ever. :) There are only a lot of things to do...

i know...i know.....people of that countries deserved to host a big event like this...they have to grow with europe and football could be a good thing......

BAYERN FOREVER:D:D:D:D