Storms coming....

Manders

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

capt.1058045506.tropical_weather_ny111.jpg

:shock: why cant it hit us!!! humf! im in the panhandle of alabama....im just getting bands of it :shrug: :roll: SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, Texas - A hurricane watch was posted Sunday along the South Texas coast as Tropical Storm Claudette crawled across the Gulf of Mexico, and campers packed up and left low-lying South Padre Island.

AP Photo

AFP

Slideshow: Hurricanes and Tropical Storms

Tropical Storm Hits Mexico With Wind, Rain

(AP Video)

The projected path would bring the storm across Padre Island with landfall Tuesday afternoon north of Brownsville, said Jim Campbell, a forecaster in the National Weather Service (news - web sites) office in Brownsville.

A hurricane watch was in effect along the Texas Gulf Coast from Port O'Connor, about 70 miles northeast of Corpus Christi, to Brownsville and south along the Mexican coast to Rio San Fernando.

By 11 p.m. EDT, the center of Claudette was about 320 miles east of Brownsville, with maximum sustained wind blowing at 65 mph, 9 mph shy of hurricane strength. Slow strengthening is expected over the next 24 hours.

It has been almost stationary, but is expected to resume moving toward the west-northwest on Monday, the hurricane center said. The National Weather Service said swells were approaching the Texas coast and could create dangerous surf conditions.

"The circulation is strengthening," meteorologist Jesse Haro said at the National Weather Service in Brownsville. "That doesn't mean it's going to move any faster toward us, it simply means that it's becoming a stronger storm."

Owners of about 900 recreational vehicles parked for the summer on South Padre Island were warned that wind of more than 25 mph would mean they would not be allowed to drive their rigs across the sole bridge to the mainland. By Sunday, most of the campers had packed up voluntarily and left.

Workers on South Padre, along the coast a few miles from Brownsville, piled sand into berms at beach accesses, and Mayor Bob Pinkerton said the resort community was bracing for high water.

However, Pinkerton said there were no plans yet to evacuate.

On the mainland in the Brownsville area, Cameron County officials advised residents of low-lying areas to leave, and employed jail inmates to stack sandbags and clear out drainage ditches.

The tropical storm swept over Mexico's resort city of Cancun early Friday, battering high-rise hotels with high wind, flooding several streets and closing the international airport for several hours.

Claudette is the third tropical storm of the Atlantic hurricane season. It developed Tuesday in the Caribbean, brushing Jamaica's southern coast with heavy rain and rough surf, battering the Cayman Islands with waves and above-normal tides and scattering rain over parts of Cuba before reaching Mexico.

Experts have predicted a busy Atlantic hurricane season, which began June 1 and ends Nov. 30.

___

:lol: :lol: thats great...but scary as it seems...while i was taping myself giving weather forcast by pasting fake radars on paper and pasting them to my tv....i was PETRIFIED of bad weather..now i love it..and would HATE to be a meteoroligiigigist....