✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

12 Coldplay Months Of 2008: OCTOBER (Three Possessed Roadies)

busybeeburns

Coldplay: 'We're less shit than we used to be'

October started with Coldplay in familiar defensive mode. Chris Martin said that Coldplay were "less shit than they used to be" in an interview broadcast by Absolute Radio. The singer made the comment to DJ Christian O'Connell after their show in Munich in September. The concert was being broadcast in full on Absolute Radio, which had been re-branded from Virgin Radio. Of the concert, Martin says:

"I think our concert is the least shit Coldplay concert at the moment that you could have possibly ever seen. Do you see what I mean? We're better than we used to be." Asked whether the band felt more comfortable playing large venues, Martin commented: "We've turned from a Mars Bar into a King-Sized Mars Bar." Martin also outs himself as an unlikely fan of Nickelback. Of the much-maligned Canadian band he says: "I have nothing but respect for Nickelback. "They take a lot of flak from people who have never done fuck all in their life. And I think they're great. That is my final word."

While Chris was saying that, here was a radio interview of 89X Jay Hudson with Coldplay's Jonny Buckland:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69VIFH0ESPA]YouTube - 89X Jay Hudson w/ Coldplay's Jonny Buckland (21-Oct-08)[/ame]

Absolutely Munich

1st October, and Absolute played their recording of the Munich gig. Billed by Chris himself as the least shit Coldplay concert at the moment that you could have possibly ever seen. Do you see what I mean? We're better than we used to be, we had a listening party .

Although none of us won the competition, Coldplayers did make it to the show.

Awesome show!! I'm still finding paper butterflies in my clothes and pockets. The band and crowd were all in a great mood, and Chris was very talkative, saying that the show was being recorded for the launch of a new UK radio station (the name of which has temporarily slipped my mind), and also making a few Oktoberfest references. [Magoouk]

BT DMA 2008 Results: Good News For Coldplaying.com & Coldplay.com & Coldplay!

Coldplaying.com just missed out on the award, but are proud to have made the final 5 shortlist for Best Unofficial Music Site in the world.

Shortlist:

Coldplaying.com – Coldplay fansite, UK

LPzion.org – Linkin Park fansite, Poland

MuseLive.com – Muse fansite, UK

SOADfans.com – System of A Down fansite, Egypt

Meanwhile, it was good news for Coldplay and Coldplay.com, who both won awards. This was in from Anchorman:

Good evening. News just in from the BT Digital Music Awards ceremony in London - Coldplay.com has been named Best Official Website. This award was voted for entirely by the public, which means we owe you folks an enormous THANK YOU for clicking and voting for us. Myself, Prospekt, the Oracle, Roadie #42 and the Messenger are all extremely chuffed that you like what we do.

Coldplay also picked up the Best Rock/Indie Artist award, another category which was voted for by fans - so again, a massive thanks for that. Right, we're off to crack open something cold and fizzy...

Coldplay's UK Tour Date Changes Confirmed

An article in the Liverpool Echo sparked an investigative hunt by Coldplaying to find out what was happening with the UK tour dates.

Due to scheduling reasons beyond our control some dates on the Coldplay UK tour have had to be repositioned. The show in Liverpool has now been moved from the 10th of December to the 7th of December. Your tickets are valid for the new date.

Several dates within the UK tour had changed, some quite drastically. Change summary was follows:

1) The single date at the Sheffield Arena has been moved from 7th December to 29th November.

2) The first Glasgow date at the SECC is now the second date, and will take place on 9th December.

3) As previously announced, the Liverpool date changes from 10th December to 7th December.

4) The Belfast concert on 18th December is now the following week, on 23rd December (as confirmed by the Odyssey Arena website).

Noel Gallagher & Ricky Wilson on Coldplay

noelgallagher1.jpgrickywilson1.jpg

Oasis’ guitarist Noel Gallagher praised Coldplay, comparing a song from their new album to the Beatles, reported Gigwise.

Speaking to the Belfast Telegraph, Gallagher said his opinion of the band differed greatly from his brother, Liam. "I listen to ‘Violet Hill’ and it's like The Beatles,” Gallagher said. “I just think Chris Martin is a great songwriter. Liam fucking hates them - thinks their stuff sounds like Annie Lennox, but Liam can be a fucking idiot sometimes."

Gallagher also spoke highly of U2, and specfically their frontman Bono in the interview. "I fucking love U2 and I always have done - I love the size of that band,” he said. “Whether you like them or not, you cannot deny that U2 have written some great fucking songs. People will not accept that Bono is sincere - in this cynical age, they think he's really just a cunt But he's not."

Meanwhile, though he’s pals with Coldplay frontman Chris Martin, 31, Noel Gallagher said the rest of Oasis hate his band.

He admitted “I’m not in a band full of Coldplay fans, there’s only me – the others hate them – and U2. I think they’re a bit insecure because Coldplay and U2 sell more records than we do. I like them. Chris fascinates me, even though he’s proper posh. I don’t think I’d be Gwyneth Paltrow’s cup of tea, though. I swear too much.”

They sang I Predict A Riot — but Kaiser Chief frontman Ricky Wilson couldn’t have predicted what would happen when he met rival band Coldplay.

For he made a fool of himself by moaning that he was busier than Chris Martin’s hit group. Leeds lad Ricky bumped into them at a recording studio. He confessed: “Whenever bands get together, all they do is moan about how busy their touring and promotional schedules are. I did the same when I met Coldplay. I felt such an idiot, because they looked at me like, ‘Oh, you think Kaiser Chiefs are busy? Try being in Coldplay, mate.’“

“They were right, too. After all, Coldplay have got the planet to save as well as selling billions of albums.“

Coldplay's 'Prospekt's March' EP Tracklisting Officially Announced

This is a letter from Chris Martin, which was posted from Rotterdam at coldplay.com, outlining the tracklisting for the forthcoming 'Prospekt's March' EP, and some more information on the Lost! EP, which will involved a collaboration with Jay-Z:

031008_letter.png

Prospekt also delivered the exciting new news on Coldplay's forthcoming Prospekt's March EP, after a last minute extension of tracklisting:

051008_prospekt.png

In addition to the EP, Coldplay were to release a special version of single 'Lost' featuring US rapper Jay-Z. In a message on Coldplay's website, the band said the song was part of series of “musical moves that we have not previously attempted.” Coldplay frontman Chris Martin has previously made guest appearances on Jay-Z's own material.

Coldplaying immediately responded with a poll to find out your most anticipated track. It was very close for a while, but the clear winner in the end was Life In Technicolor ii.

prospektspoll.jpg

Antwerp, Belgium - the end of the European road.. (Glass Of Water Debuted!)

Coldplayers were out in force in Rotterdam, before Coldplay headed off for the final European shows in Antwerp. Here's Oxfam's Pete Lusby:

Talking of roads, the buses and trucks are all literally parked beneath one, as this venue is right next to the motorway. We drove past it on the way from Milan to Rotterdam. It’s a big green building, feels like it’s seen a few sights over the years..

The crowds are already patiently waiting outside. Inflatable pillows for comfort and their backs against the glass doors, claiming thier spot at the front of the queue. That metal bar at the front of the stage must be the most sought after piece of steel in Europe at the moment! There are some familiar faces too.

I met some Coldplaying.com fans last night, waiting outside to meet the band on their way out. They waited in the rain last night, and said they would see me here today too. So they did. Knocking on the glass doors at the front of the venue, with a friendly wave, as I set up the Oxfam booths. I am constantly impressed by the dedication of these fans. One of the best part of the days, is when the doors finally open, these wide open venues fill up and the buzz starts to build up.

Meanwhile Glass Of Water made its debut in Antwerp:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEdNAI8AxcU]YouTube - Glass of water[/ame]

Excited Coldplayers rushed back to let us know:

Glass of water: well just kill me now! I yelled my head off! I loved it soo much! I can’t describe it… and Chavi get’s all the scoops!!!! Now there’s a scoop for ya! - Carlaatje

I just got back from the concert, it was amazing. GLASS OF WATER was BEFORE yellow on the setlist! AND ALBERT HAMMOND JR. PLAYED ALONG ON GUITAR! - Remcoowtje

Glass of Water sounded amazing. I was wearing a Strokes T-shirt, so I was extremely pleased when Chris called the Strokes "the best band in the world" and then Albert Hammond Jr. came out to play a monstrous riff on that song. Excellent drumming from Will as well. Quite a departure from the stuff on Viva La Vida I think. - mathieu_c

GLASS OF WATER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as soon as we saw Chris heading to the piano WE JUST KNEW ! Such a nice present from them ! the song rocks live, I cant wait to hear the studio version. It really is something to discover a song for the first time when it’s played live. You just enjoy and you cannot not fall for it ! I thought it’d be more a slow song, but I was gladly surprised ! -When they played Glass of water it was probably one of the first time I see Albert Hammond Jr smiling and laughing like this at a Coldplay concert ! - Chavi

Here was Roadie #42 on said video:

So there we have it - Glass Of Water is now out in the wild. The footage on the site came from Andy Bramley, the tour's wonderful video director - the entire XL video department played a blinder, I think you'll agree. I'll spare you the details of the chaos that went into making it happen at our end, but I think it was worth it and now we have the ability to do this, it'd be a shame not to use it again.... ;-)

What did you think of Glass Of Water? You shared your thoughts on the messageboard.

Spotted!: Chris caught some Travis whilst he was in town

Lucky Coldplaying members Sarah, Felix and Mark met Chris Martin at Travis’ Astoria gig in London.

Up on the balcony, the Coldplay singer Chris Martin could be seen pogoing, along with everyone else, to Why Does It Always Rain on Me? And down on the stage, Travis approached their task with an unforced enthusiasm and vigour that was quite unlike the more measured performances of even a year ago, when it still seemed as if the stakes were that much higher.

sarahchrisxr0.png

Awards & Nominations Galore

As Awards season rolled around, the nominations came flooding in.

Coldplay dominated the MTV Europe Awards and were nominated for the best album of the year, best performer, and “most addictive track”. They also received a nomination in the Best Alternative category at the 2008 MTV Africa Music Awards . There were also numerous nominations at the American Music Awards: Artist Of The Year; Favorite Band, Duo Or Group (pop or rock music); Favorite Artist (alternative rock music); & Favorite Album (pop or rock music) for 'Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends'.

Grammy submission time occurs in October, and EMI put Coldplay in for 8 categories to see if they could get shortlisted. The submissions were as follows:

Album of the Year - Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

Record of the Year - Viva la Vida

Song of the Year - Viva la Vida

Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals - Viva la Vida

Best Rock Album - Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals - Violet Hill

Best Rock Song - Violet Hill

Best Short Form Music Video - Viva la Vida

Coldplay Pick Up 'Best Album' & 'Best Act' At The Q Awards

Coldplay scooped two prizes at the Q Awards ceremony in London, including best album for Viva La Vida or Death To All Their Friends. Coldplay also won best act in the world today.

Picking up the best album prize, Chris Martin warned the crowd he was going to bore them, before launching into a rambling acceptance speech. At one point, he declared Coldplay were “the greatest band in the world”, before adding bashfully: “U2 are on holiday”.

q2008awards2.jpg

q2008awards3.jpg

q2008awards7.jpg

q2008awards15.jpg

(^A new book Access All Areas with Dave Hogan was launched at the 2008 Q Awards. It contained autobigraphies/personality information as well as lots of pictures of celebrities that Dave Hogan has photographed, including Coldplay.)

Here were Coldplay's Q speeches and interviews:

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IAk02vMehLM]YouTube - Coldplay - Interview - Q Awards 2008[/ame]

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mXm66A-voy8]YouTube - Coldplay - Best Album - Q Awards[/ame]

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=csDqqUcCEGE]YouTube - Coldplay - Best Act - Q Awards[/ame]

Coldplay's Chris Martin 'grovelled' to 3am after taking a pop at Daily Mirror in Q Awards acceptance speech. Here is the Mirror's report:

After branding Chris Martin the “most boring man in pop”, we expected nothing more than the cold shoulder. But when we bumped into Coldplay’s frontman on the red carpet at the Q Awards yesterday, the unthinkable happened... he was actually quite nice. In fact, cheeky charmer Chris had us weak at the knees with his outrageous flirting and compliments. So imagine our shock when he then got up on stage to accept his award for Best Act In The World – and slagged us off! He mumbled: “Thanks to everyone we’re friends with apart from people who slag us off and the Daily Mirror.”

He got roundly booed by the Grosvenor House Hotel audience for that and maybe the reaction that greeted his petty outburst made him have a sudden change of heart. Because as we marched over to his table to confront him afterwards, Chris suddenly started grovelling – and, boy, can this man grovel. He could grovel for gold if it was an Olympic sport. “I’m so sorry,” he snivelled. “It was all a mistake – I know you’re lovely. I was so nervous – you try and get up there and do a speech off the cuff. I meant to mention another horrible newspaper and for some reason the Mirror popped into my head. I genuinely didn’t mean anything – I’m so sorry. You’re my number one girls.”

Hmm, if you say so Chris but we’re up against stiff competition... ex-Catatonia star Cerys Matthews for one. Cerys turned into a giggling schoolgirl when he admitted that he had a crush on her. As Coldplay accepted the award from Cerys, Chris gushed: “Eight to 10 years ago we supported Catatonia on tour and you let me hold your cigarette and I thought, ‘Maybe I’ve got a chance’.”

Blushing Cerys admitted that he still did. Ooh-er! And then lusty Chris revealed his personal fantasies about Girls Aloud. He said: “I can’t just say I fancy Cheryl, it’s like a Rubik’s cube. You need all the colours together, just like 3am. You can’t have one without the other.”

OK Chris, you’re back in our good books (only just). But we don’t know what Gwyneth would say....

3am.jpg

Coldplay Announce 'Prospekt's March EP' Worldwide Release Dates

Coldplay confirmed thanks to Anchorman via Coldplay.com the release date of both the Prospekt's March EP and the special version of the album containing the EP's eight tracks, which would be called Viva La Vida Prospekt’s March Edition.

Wednesday 19th November - Japan, Sweden (digitally on 21st)

Friday 21st November - Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland, Ireland, Italy, Denmark, Norway, South Africa

Saturday 22nd November - Australia

Monday 24th November - UK, rest of the world

Tuesday 25th November - USA, Canada, Spain

The Lost! digital bundle would still be released on November 10th worldwide. The tracklisting for that is as follows...

1. Lost! (album version)

2. Lost? (acoustic version)

3. Lost@ (live at Chicago)

4. Lost+ (with added Jay-Z)

Rewriting a Coldplay Song: The Story Behind 42

An interesting story of the evolvement of Coldplay's studio recording of 42 was published in October by a former Rolling Stone employee. Here's the article:

42.jpg

Earlier this year, I flew to London to visit Coldplay as they put the finishing touches on their new album, Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends, for a short profile. Chris Martin and friends welcomed me to their cozy studio/clubhouse in a tiny section of North London near all of their houses. They were still debating which songs to include on the album and in what order, but had generally agreed to stop recording or re-recording for now. They graciously let me listen to a rundown of the strongest contenders for the album and asked for my thoughts afterwards.

I genuinely liked many of the songs and said so. Without much forethought, I mentioned that the middle section of "42" — a complex composition in three parts and a real highlight — sounded a bit like the last section of Radiohead's "Sit Down Stand Up" (ya know, "the rain drops, the rain drops..."). Martin stared intently for a second, then moved on and I didn't think anything of it. I had temporarily forgotten the band's reputation as Radiohead copyists, or hadn't realized how deeply Martin had internalized it (in his Rolling Stone cover story a couple months later, Martin said of Radiohead: "Sometimes I feel like they cleared a path with a machete, and we came afterward and put up a strip mall.")

In any case, when I returned to the pad later that night, Martin was coaxing reluctant guitarist Jonny Buckland back into the studio. Martin told me that after thinking about what I said, he wanted Jonny to overdub some guitars on the middle section of "42." "It's not that I mind sounding like Radiohead," he said. "It's just that when I hear the song in my head, that's not what it sounds like."

After I got back from London, I got an email from a friend of the band, who was in the studio that night, thanking me for doing them "a huge favour." "You encouraged us to go back and revisit that part of the song," he wrote. "We've now improved it a great deal — giving it a lot more energy and bite." I consider it my sole recorded legacy.

Coldplay - Later With Jools Holland, BBC Television Centre, London

Coldplay returned to the Later studio and played a string of tracks from their fourth number one album Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Setlist:

Violet Hill

Lovers In Japan

Viva La Vida (played twice)

Lost!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqZRNs2XnPA]YouTube - Coldplay - Viva La Vida Live on Later with Jools Holland[/ame] | [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbWNQbtBAuY]YouTube - Coldplay - Lost! (live at Later...)[/ame]

chrisandilj8.jpg

Chris Martin with Coldplaying member Laura84

Here's Roadie #42 from the BBC Studios:

It's all quiet in Studio One at BBC Television Centre. Shortly, they'll be letting the audience in. In the meantime, there's just a few of the TV crew rehearsing camera movements. In an hour or so, we'll start taping a show that'll go out on telly this Friday. This series of Jools Holland is different from those before, in that there is also a show tonight - completely live, at 10pm. TV studios are strange after arenas. Arenas make everything sound huge, boomy and vast. Even someone tapping a microphone can end up sounding like the coming of the apocalypse when it's coming through a couple hundred thousand watts of PA into a huge concrete and steel echo chamber.

Conversely, not only are television studios acoustically "dead", but for the sake of broadcast audio quality, the volume level is also kept politely low. Add to this, the fact that singers tend to "save their voice" during the afternoon and you end up with rehearsals that come across as shockingly uninspiring. It's a little like looking through binoculars backwards. Rik Simpson is in the house though, helping out with broadcast sound, so you can bet that the experience in living rooms across the land will be nicely spectacular. I think this is the first time we've been here since we did the gig in the car park. I noticed on that day that they're not really bothered what you write on your pass once you've told them you're on a list. As a result, yesterday, I was Terry Wogan. Today, I have spent the day as the greatest comedian of all time.

Pass.jpg

Stage.jpg

Coldplay 'Prospekt's March EP' Cover Artwork Found Online In Norway

According to popular Norwegian online record store website platekompaniet.no Coldplay's Prospekt's March EP cover looked like this. The Viva La Vida (Prospekt's March edition) cover artwork was revealed via Amazon ten days previously.

prospekt_coldplay.jpgprospektsmarchep1.jpgprospektsmarcheplabel1.jpg

The Prospekt's March EP cover featured another painting by Eugene Delacroix, a detail that was officially confirmed by Chris Martin on 3rd October. And Davide Rossi (Italian musician and violinist featured on Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends) exclusively revealed that two tracks on Coldplay's new EP - Rainy Day and Prospekt's March - would feature his violectra. He went on to say that in his opinion the Prospekt's March EP was better than the Viva La Vida album that preceded it.

A day later it was officially confirmed by Prospekt:

Tuesday 14 October, 2008

London

This is the artwork for the Prospekt's March EP courtesy of Eugene Delacroix's Battle of Poitiers.

It'll be out in the shops November 21-25 (depending upon where you live). You'll also be able to order it from coldplay.com.

Prospekt

prospektsmarchcover.jpg

journaloct14.jpg

Tour dates for 2009 Start To Emerge...

The first dates of Coldplay's 2009 tour were announced via Coldplay.com in October. They are playing three shows in Japan in February. There would undoubtably therefore be speculation that Coldplay will be playing Australasia around the same time... and it later turned out to be true. The first three Coldplay shows confirmed for February 2009 are:

Feb 12th - Tokyo, Saitama Super Arena

Feb 14th - Osaka, Kobe World Kinen Hall

Feb 15th - Osaka, Kobe World Kinen Hall

Coldplay Debut Lost+ (Feat. Jay-Z) On BBC Radio 1

Radio 1's Zane Lowe played Lost+ (the new version of Lost! which features Jay-Z), when Chris Martin delivered it to the station.

You joined the discussion on the exclusive airing of Lost+ at the Coldplaying Messageboard.

Knebworth 2009?

In a Radio 1 exclusive Chris Martin announced that Coldplay were looking to book at least two nights at the famous Knebworth venue. The band’s management had been making enquiries and need permission to play the legendary castle, which had been host to the likes of Robbie Williams and Oasis.

Knebworth had been a major venue for open air rock and pop concerts since 1974. In 2003, Robbie Williams performed at Knebworth over a three day period, drawing crowds of over 375,000, and a further 3.5 million who watched live on television and online. This was reputedly the biggest UK pop concert ever and caused a huge traffic jam on the A1(M) as an estimated 130,000 cars tried to reach the venue.

It later turned out that Coldplay wouldn't play the venue but had another trick up their sleeve. Read all the discussion on Knebworth (or Blebworth) at the messageboard here

New Coldplay Interviews: Faceculture.nl

FaceCulture.nl spoke to drummer Will Champion and bassist Guy Berryman in a Coldplay video interview, during their visit to Rotterdam, Netherlands near the end of their European tour [thanks Martin - FaceCulture].

They talked about Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends, the previous albums being a trilogy, Brian Eno, Violet Hill (did you know that song is 12 years old?), recording on a mobile phone, songwriting, live energy, setlist, Blur, Lost, Viva La Vida, Life in Technicolor, Prospekt's March EP, the new song Glass of Water and lots more... also check the news items for live footage from the concert in Ahoy Rotterdam (2nd October 2008). Click on the seven parts below to watch each volume:

Coldplay - 2008 - I - Trilogy, falsetto, revoltuion in own sound, Brian Eno, Viva La Vida

Coldplay - 2008 - II - Violet Hill, old ideas transforming into songs, recording on mobile phone

Coldplay - 2008 - III - 1st album, progression in songwriting, live energy, set list, favorite live songs

Coldplay - 2008 - IV - Lost, Blur, Blur-song Sing, lyrics of Lost, bad lyrics, Life in Technicolor

Coldplay - 2008 - V - EP Prospekt's March, songs on the EP, differences with Viva, song Glass of Water

Coldplay - 2008 - Nieuws - Nieuws over Viva La Vida, Violet Hill en live spelen

Coldplay - 2008 - News - News about Viva La Vida, Violet Hill and playing live

628.jpg

North American Viva La Vida Tour Starts... Part II!

Coldplay began another North American tour in Ottawa, Ontario, in support of the latest album, Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends. While fans were likely to sing along to every word Chris Martin uttered during the tour, they'll have some new lyrics to memorize when Coldplay's Prospekt's March EP arrives from November 19th. Coldplaying.com members had already celeb-spotted Coldplay in Ottawa:

I was driving to work this morning around 8:45 on Wellington and I saw a group of 4 or 5 guys dressed in shorts and t-shirts. It's chilly today in Ottawa so they definitely stood out. At first I was like why are those guys wearing shorts and tshirts when it's 3 degrees celcius outside and then I saw and screamed to my husband - it's COLDPLAY!! I definitely spotted Guy and Will but there was 2 or 3 others. I did turn the car around to o find them but by the time I did, they were gone - probably staying at Chateau Laurier. Looking forward to the show tonight! [thanks kokopolo]

This morning i went to go get my tickets from scotiabank place and instead of seeing coldplay, i saw the entire senators team as they were leaving practice and heading to their cars. unfortunately, i don't care about hockey. [thanks redcurry]

Pete Lusby and Oxfam were also back:

Here’s one I penned earlier (when I didn’t have access to the internet..)

It’s oh so quiet. I just got to the hotel. All I can hear is the slight ringing in my ears (still popping occasionally due to the air pressure changes). Coldplay and Oxfam have landed. I caught the same plane as the band today, back over the pond. We’re back on tour. North America (part 2). Now we find ourselves in Ottawa, Canada. Well, just outside, to be precise.

Silence is a rare thing on tour. You know.. when you can actually hear it. Completely quiet. So breathing sounds noisy. Things rarely shut down and switch off, on the road. For about a week or so, the whole crew did just that. Got some silence in their ears. Coldplay have another 20 shows coming up here. Oxfam will have 20 campaigners at each and every one. The first of this leg, and the last in Canada, is tomorrow night. Oxfam Canada are up first.

Time to get back to work. I’m in a cold-looking corridor again. This one skirts around the bottom of the Scotiabank Center. A 13′000 seater hockey stadium, which usually plays host to the Ottawa Senators. Today’s runner, Eric, told me that they are pretty good.

It will be Canada’s last chance to watch Coldplay for a while tonight. Way back in summer, in Toronto, Pemberton and Montreal, the atmosphere was electric. I’m sure that it will be tonight too. The band have had a chance to rest, and i’m sure they will want to come back with a bang. Everyone seems to be walking around with shorter hair today. No more shaggy-dog looks in the crew. The chance to visit your own barbers is another luxury of visiting home for a day or two. It’s all hands on deck today. Lots to do before we head on to Cleveland tonight. Everyone wants it to go off well. Start on a positive, get us rolling again. 20 Oxfam volunteers are fired up and ready for tonight. Let’s hope it’s a good one.

Here was the Ottawa Sun:

Coldplay have been around long enough to know how to work an arena better than Jason Spezza. But last night, the current kings of British pop brought a bagful of tricks to their gig at Scotiabank Place that only the very best can. The band that might be the next U2 -- singer Chris Martin, drummer Will Champion, guitarist Jonny Buckland and bassist Guy Berryman -- launched their North American tour here last night and judging by their show, few bands even come close to Coldplay in a live setting.

Back in June, the reviews for their fourth CD Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends were glowing, thanks in part to producer Brian Eno, who lit a creative fire under the band as he did for U2 with The Unforgettable Fire almost 20 years ago. Eno inspired the band to aim higher than on previous efforts. Now, after only four discs, Coldplay is being compared to the best bands ever. They lived up to that billing last night with a spectacular show at Scotiabank Place in front of 13,000 adoring fans. With Delacroix's "Liberty Leading the People" draped across the back of the stage and round video screens that looked like giant Chinese lanterns hanging throughout the arena, the band opened in theatrical fashion with prerecorded chunks of The Nutcracker playing in the dark. The joint erupted in a huge ovation as soon as they heard the first notes of the instrumental Life in Technicolor and Martin's plaintive vocal wail on Violet Hill and all those piano triads that signalled the band's most radio-friendly tune Clocks.

Combining the best of their previous CDs -- Parachutes, A Rush of Blood to the Head and X&Y with a hefty dose from Viva la Vida, the band has plenty to choose from. Dressed like one of the French soldiers in Delacroix's painting, Martin performed like a man at top of his craft. Charming as well as a prolific performer, he bounced lightly between piano and guitar, occasionally punctuating his performance with pratfalling dances like Charlie Chaplin.

The early setlist included In My Place, Speed of Sound, Cemeteries of London, all choreographed with an atmospheric light show that recalled a Middle Eastern desert tent. Even more miraculous was the superb studio-quality sound. They had all 13,000 on their feet for Fix You, Strawberry Swing and a pared-down version of Talk, after which the band left a playful Martin alone at the piano.

"Another British band, Oasis, didn't have such a good time when they were in Canada a couple weeks ago and that's caused a horrible rift between our two countries," he joked, referring to the band being attacked in Toronto in September. "I hope we can bridge that terrible gap tonight," he concluded before playing a solo piano turn on The Hardest Part, with drummer Champion moving beside Martin for Viva la Vida and Lost.

Later, in what seemed to be a calculated but playful move, the band joined fans down at a 100-level suite at the back of the arena, playing a bare bluegrass version of The Scientist. Coldplay wound things down with Lovers in Japan and Yellow. As concerts go, it was brilliant, choreographed from start to finish with gorgeous playing, a varied setlist and enough theatrical magic to take your breath away.

The only thing missing was a little messy raw rock energy to add a little danger to the show. Oh, who am I kidding? This is Coldplay, after all.

amyjw82.jpg

Record broken! Here's Pete Lusby again: "The new ‘Oxfam sign-ups on the Coldplay tour 2008 World Record’ holders are Oxfam Canada’s amazing group of volunteers in Ottawa. 2032 is the magic number of Coldplay fans who signed up."

Roadie #42 was also back on the scene:

One by one, the band bound onto the stage for soundcheck in Ottawa. I don't use the word bound just because it's easy to type. Ten days of rest has recharged, re-invigorated and positively rebuilt everybody here. Jonny, in particular bounces onto the stage like a boxer entering the ring to claim his title. He's beaming widely and just as the others, has greetings and bear hugs for the crew sitting on the wings awaiting their arrival. We've been through the chaos of "birthing" the tour, we've been through the painstaking revisions and re-workings. We've had a wonderful, if slightly grueling European run. Now at last, you get the impression that everyone is settled. Problems that at first appeared insurmountable, if not completely solved are at least tamed.

The first two shows bear this out, as the fellas dive into it at full pelt. I've seen them confident before, I've even seen them have nights of being "completely on fire". I wonder if what I'm seeing here is more aptly described as a band on top of their game? Knowing them as I do, and their complete refusal to settle for resting on their laurels, I expect they will push themselves further. However, right now, it's a consistently outstanding delivery night after night. With shows pretty much right the way through until Christmas, I'd say that's a good place to be!

Back2.jpgBack3.jpg

Back1.jpgBack4.jpg

Coldplay Get Intimate in NYC For The Yahoo/Nissan Live Show

While the CMJ Music Marathon was taking over New York City, Coldplay snuck into town to tape a Yahoo / Nissan Live Show at Hammerstein Ballroom. While the 4,000 capacity venue ain’t peanuts, it certainly is a small venue for the arena rockers who have won back a devote fanbase with Viva La Vida.

A mellow crowd of mostly industry folks filled the Hammerstein floors, but the balconies, which were open, were surprisingly empty. The producers of the show easily could have gotten another thousand or so folks in. At one point, Chris even joked about how, apparently, Coldplay couldn’t get rid of enough tickets to pack the venue for a free show.

Considering the last time Coldplay played a show like this was when they did an AOL live session at the Beacon Theatre to kick off the X&Y tour and it was a total disaster, I’m surprised how close this show came to becoming a repeat of that. What saved the show was the fact that the Viva songs are so much stronger than the X&Y songs and the band is so much more energized.

Setlist:

Life In Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

Lost!

Chinese Sleep Chant

Yellow

Strawberry Swing

Viva La Vida

Lovers In Japan

Death And All His Friends

(Q&A With Audience)

Here was Roadie's review:

For me, it's amazing to see how legitimate the idea of "internet music shows" have become. In recent memory, the experience of watching a "webcast" of a gig meant a video window not much larger than a postage stamp that mostly showed the word "buffering". At the gig, there would generally be a couple of guys with laptops and video cameras looking rather nervous, spending an awful lot of the day swearing at the screen and shaking their heads. Today, you wouldn't really know the difference between this and a full TV show. It's really only the live element of proceedings that's missing. In another ten years, when bandwidth finally allows us, I can't imagine any live event won't be shared around the world with whoever is interested. People will be sitting at bus-stops watching arenas full of people having the time of their lives. People will be social networked up around the globe, discussing and enthusing in real time as the set unfolds. People will probably be streaming it from their mobile phones and you'll be able to skip around the room from one fan to another to see who's got the best view. I wish the future would hurry up...

Meanwhile, here and now, the guys are giving Yellow a spanking. I wander out into the crowd for a look. I'm not sure if it's just me, but this song seems to have undergone something of a rebirth on this tour. It sounds very fresh, vibrant and alive. It's always been a crowd pleaser, plainly - but it's got a bouncing, grooving joy about it this time that I don't remember having seen for a very long time. Watching them crank it out in a tiny theatre such as this is doubly resonant, as the time when they were regularly playing venues this size was way back when this song was in its prime...

With the setlist finished, there is a short question and answer session to do. The questions here come from members of the audience. Topics are wide ranging and bring the best out of the fellas. It's often easy to forget that they are actually very funny blokes and today serves as a good reminder. It's been a top day, really. They (whoever they are) say that a change is as good as a rest and today has certainly been a most enjoyable stray off the regular touring treadmill. I'm not sure when this'll 'air' on Yahoo!, but I reckon it's worth a look for all you web-savvy Coldplayers.

Yahoo3.jpg

Coldplay Promotes Barack Obama on ‘Saturday Night Live’

Chris Martin wore homemade armband and makes impromptu shout-out during the ‘Saturday Night Live’ show. Here was a review from Hollywood Today:

These days, it seems one can’t mention John McCain, Barack Obama or Sarah Palin without also including NBC’s “Saturday Night Live” in the conversation. Coldplay's Chris Martin ensured the show would remain the center of political discussion this week by endorsing Obama’s presidential campaign twice during Saturday night’s broadcast. During Coldplay’s second performance during the show, which was hosted by “Mad Men’s” Jon Hamm, Martin sported a white armband with the Democratic presidential nominee’s name handwritten on it. At the end of the third song, Martin, who had removed the armband, yelled out “Barack Obama!”

Chris Martin previously expressed his support for Obama during an interview with Rolling Stone magazine released in June, where he suggested foreign opinion of the United States would improve if the Illinois senator won the election. “If Obama was to be president, it would immediately change the whole outside world’s opinion of America overnight,” Martin posited in the publication. Coldplay went on four times during the hour-and-a-half program, instead of the standard two times for musical guests, possibly because regular cast member Amy Poehler had given birth earlier in the day. TV Guide reported Saturday that portions of the show had to be rewritten due to the baby boy’s arrival.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGNsin9W6MY]YouTube - Coldplay backstage[/ame]

Even the Oracle was barraged with questions:

October 28, 2008 - submitted by Juliana, United States of America

Q. Hey oracle! So last night, I was watching SNL because Coldplay was going to perform. It was spectacular. however, at the end of Yellow, Chris said "barack obama", clearly showing his support. that's perfectly fine, but can he even vote in America, being as he is from Great Britain?

The Oracle replies:

I don't usually pass comment on politics/religion/personal life etc but this is a hot topic so figured I might as well join in! So, Juliana that may be true but don't forget he has children who are part of an Anglo-American family through his marriage...

Lovers In Japan Artwork Revealed!

The artwork for Coldplay's new single Lovers In Japan was revealed online at the end of October. The song, which would be Coldplay's 4th single from the new album Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends, had been rumoured to hit radiowaves from November 4th.

lovers400.jpgloversinjapan2.jpg

Coldplay's Lovers In Japan Video Premieres on iTunes (31st October)

The video for Coldplay's new single Lovers In Japan would be premiering on iTunes stores around the world from Friday 31st October, coldplay.com exclusively revealed. Here's what was reported:

It was directed by Mat Whitecross, in London. Those of you in America will even be able to download it free of charge from iTunes for a week. The video will feature the new Osaka Sun mix of the song. Lovers In Japan, which will be Coldplay's 4th single from the new album Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends, had been rumoured to hit radiowaves from November 4th.

You discussed this lots! Video Release | New Artwork

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_exesnCA5Y]YouTube - Coldplay - Lovers In Japan[/ame]

Halloween in Washington DC

Coldplay played the Verizon Center in Washington and there were no changes to the normal setlist, but if you caught a handful of confetti during the show, check them carefully as they turned out to be bats, not butterflies!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxPUEABUm0c]YouTube - Coldplay - Halloween - Verizon Ctr, Washington (31-Oct-08)[/ame]

TWO WORDS: F**KING. AWESOME. Actually, 4 words: f**king awesome BATS and pumpkins! [thanks notlost92]

The bat and pumpkin confetti was amazing. They had the usual sort of paper confetti and then they also had metallic pumpkins and bats! I brought some home so I'll try to snap a picture unless someone else has a good photo of them from the venue. They also turned the magic balls into halloween pumpkins and at one point Jack Skellington's head complete with changing facial expressions. Lots of people dressed up, including quite a few of the roadies. [thanks Fadelight]

Jonny wore the blue shirt....untucked [thanks texasluvsjonny]

pumpkins.jpg