✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Jon's live Tunings

fakfak

Does anyone have a list of all the songs Jon uses alter tunings for live and what they are? I used to have one compiled, but It's way out of date now, and there are so many now, that it's a bit confusing.

I think he uses slightly altered tunings on a lot of the newer songs, at least his live guitar swapping would suggest as much as he's mainly swapping between variants of the same type of guitar, and there's not much reason to do that except altered tunings...

"hahaha really?"

It's actually called "ostrich tuning" and was first used by Lou Reed while he was in The Velvet Underground. However, he usually used it with all the strings tuned to D.

"but he gets a cool chorus sound during the second part cause he's playing the same pitch on two different strings."

Plus the Micro POG is giving him that cool psuedo 12-string sound in that part.

I also think he is getting more tricky in his line in setups too. Im starting to become more convinced he splits his signal and dual effects them.

I can see LiT [ii], LIJ and Strawberry Swing being different tunings. 42 has already been mentioned. He still uses the alternate for Scientist.

well 42 is tuned (strangely) to FFFFFF...

Wow, Okay news to me! Though it explains alot! Does anyone have the tab to the main riff and the 'you thought you might be a ghost section?'

Other alternative tuning:

Low (ebBGDAE)

there's an ongoing debate here as to whether he currently uses 4 0r 5 thinlines live.

though he only posesses 3? or did he buy new ones recently?

black with viva pg, natural and sunburst.... maybe you messed them up with the telecaster deluxe ? they look extremely like thins

No, there's a least 4. A sunburst and a walnut one he's been using since the AROBTTH tour and a black and a natural that have been around since Twisted Logic. It appears he may have also gotten a 2nd sunburst one for the current tour

• 1 month later...

thread's been dead for ages, but I've got proof there's five Teles now...

In the photoblog from Roskilde(sp?), you can see an unpainted sunburst Tele in their dressing room, and his stage use sunburst one has been painted since the start of the European tour last year.

"I dont know why, he could get away with three. The sound between Thinlines and Delux Tele's is minimal"

Well, if you're strictly speaking in terms of type of guitar, he only plays 4 kinds during gigs on this tour.

The numbers inflate because he has 3 set up for altered tunings, and uses a seperate acoustic for the "C" stage bit, as it's going into a seperate dedicated D/I feed to FOH.

what types of guitars would that be?

Tele thin

tele deluxe

les paul

jazzmaster

well, achtually 5 if you'd say acoustic too, but if you'd be more correct it's four again, because the tele deluxe are for chris... well, i haven't seen jonny using it... ok, i've never been to a coldplay concert, but i see videos & pictures :D