✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Chris Martin's Piano (humor me!)

Papps

Yamaha GT 20

Hi

I've got an Yamaha Gt20 Grand touch but it doesn't sounds exactly like Chris' ones!

There are Midi in and Midi out connections.

So is it possible to play the sound of the piano in clocks or Fix You that Chris Martin uses on my piano??

09062012223.JPG415885_425856720778474_605349900_o.jpg547393_422164351147711_529389442_n.jpg

:)

Found this... It may provide further information :) Also, it is a great interview.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlYWIQWO748&feature=related][2011.11.09] Howard - Chris Martin of Coldplay (1 of 7) - YouTube[/ame]

One thing I find interesting is that in the 2nd part of this interview he says, "There is is a studio 8 doors down". Howard was asking him if he disturbs his family when he gets ideas late at night and that was Chris' serious reply. Is the bakery that close to his home in London?

• 4 weeks later...

Alright! I was wrong.

Anyway, if you have midi connectors on that piano so you could try google chris martin vst plugins, and see if you could download the same kind of sounds chris uses. and if you find them please post them here so I also could try it :)

Well...

Actually I don't think they ever used the acoustic piano sound.

Even in the hammers hit the strings, if you don't put a mic over them they won't be heard!

They use some VSTs, like NI Kontakt, that are played via MIDI by the piano keys, and on the stage they're played by some Muse Receptors :smug:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Hi

I've got an Yamaha Gt20 Grand touch but it doesn't sounds exactly like Chris' ones!

There are Midi in and Midi out connections.

So is it possible to play the sound of the piano in clocks or Fix You that Chris Martin uses on my piano??

09062012223.JPG415885_425856720778474_605349900_o.jpg547393_422164351147711_529389442_n.jpg

:)

where the fuck did you get that????????? i can't seem to find any GT20's for sale...

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to have a Yamaha GT20.... :D Anyway, I am interested to know what piano Chris uses during studio albums. For example, at the end of Violet Hill, it seems to be some sort of very mellow piano sound. Also, if you listen closely, you can hear the actual hammers moving, so I'm guessing it's a real piano? I think the same is used in Cemeteries of London and 42.

Hammers can be heard in most VST's that I Know (+ pedal, strings noise and more) so it doesn't HAVE to be real.

But anyway I presume Chris using real ones during recordings. Most of the tracks seems to include upright s. From "Trouble" to "Paradise", it is clearly upright pianos.

Hey Guys

The Yamaha GT20 Grand Touch's sound is low, but it's perfect to use it with a VST.

I think that coldplay use a VST sound of the ''Hailun 5'4" Premium Baby Grand Piano''

but i can't find this VST anywhere. So i bought an Apple MAC, Native Instruments VST's and started to work on the nearliest VST that Coldplay uses.

i got some Clips on Youtube

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC-_QQ6nXcw]

[/ame]

[ame=

]
[/ame]

• 1 month later...

Hey I'm from Germany and I can't find a GT20 anywhere=( not even a GT10.... I've played the new Yamaha models similiar to the gt series and I have to say they are really shitty to play, because the touch just doesn't feel like a real piano.... So my question is, has someone any experiances with other models? I wouldn't mind if it's a stage piano, I heared sometimes Chris uses a MP5, any experiances with this? Or does someone know the exact model chris is playing here? It's a Yamaha cp, but what exact model? Please help me=)

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Guys

The Yamaha GT20 Grand Touch's sound is low, but it's perfect to use it with a VST.

I think that coldplay use a VST sound of the ''Hailun 5'4" Premium Baby Grand Piano''

but i can't find this VST anywhere. So i bought an Apple MAC, Native Instruments VST's and started to work on the nearliest VST that Coldplay uses.

i got some Clips on Youtube

You play very well!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Album vs. Live

I'd love to have a Yamaha GT20.... :D Anyway, I am interested to know what piano Chris uses during studio albums. For example, at the end of Violet Hill, it seems to be some sort of very mellow piano sound. Also, if you listen closely, you can hear the actual hammers moving, so I'm guessing it's a real piano? I think the same is used in Cemeteries of London and 42.

Keep in mind this thread is about Chris' live piano setup. In the studio, I'm sure most if not all the piano sounds come from real pianos. There are various interviews on the web showing the band's studio at different stages in their career, and you'll often see yamaha uprights with microphones set up.

On a separate note, for anybody who owns a Nord keyboard, I just contributed to a thread on their forums talking about getting a Coldplay sound using those instruments:) http://tinyurl.com/d8u8o6u

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pianos

:)he uses many kinds, i know electric pianos are used most of the time and one orgin sounding one for fix you etc, in the new mx tour, anything with MX and a circle on the side (Chris martins main pianos) are electric which sound great, basically they can tell by the paint on them which type they are, also if you look at videos of up in flames, the piano on the X shape is a normal baby grand piano. Hope this helps.

:)he uses many kinds, i know electric pianos are used most of the time and one orgin sounding one for fix you etc, in the new mx tour, anything with MX and a circle on the side (Chris martins main pianos) are electric which sound great, basically they can tell by the paint on them which type they are, also if you look at videos of up in flames, the piano on the X shape is a normal baby grand piano. Hope this helps.

i'm afraid you're wrong... if you see the pictures of Jason's piano BEFORE coldplay painted it, you can clearly see that it's a gt20, and it's the one that has been used on the x-stage through-out 2nd part of the MX tour and plus, this "system" would make no sense at all because the piano's on the x-stage has also these "swirls and MX symbols... also, note the last pic in this roadie #42 blog, where you can see the viva, normal, main-stage AND the x-stage piano's... and they're all identical (besides the paint)... http://www.coldplay.com/newsdetail.php?id=1000 ;)