✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

New amp - coldplay sound

NilsA

Hi everyone, time to buy a new amp, my old one is gone.

Had a tiny terror, but i felt it was too dark sounding with my thinline, and it didn't have much headroom.

I've looked some fender amps, i have also played some. What do you guys think of Fender blues jr? does it have much headroom? The other amps that i've got on my "list" is princeton reverb/deluxe reverb.

I'm gonna play it at home, and in a band local

am i able to capture jonnys sound with one of these?

I think those amps also will suite me, and i also play some dire straits, gilmour, and u2.

I know that jonny has some hot rod devilles and a twin reverb, but those amps just got too much power, can't play those at home, even the hot rod deluxe is too loud!

Well, my head thought it was too loud, i played it in the store, but i could give it one more try, but, i did turn the amp all the way down, but i still thought it was a bit loud when hitting the strings hard. I loved the sound of the hrdlx:)

But i got a good deal on the fender deluxe reverb, what do you think about that?

By the way, i'm not thinking of pushing the amp, i just want an amp that has good cleans, and with pedals can capture the sound of jonny...

how funny is that! you might get a DLX RV but think a HR DLX is too loud? :D

yeah, it's not bad! but i mean the HR will totally do... though the dlx rv is a 2 channel, so you can swith from the od to clean...

so:

if you want to use the amp distortion sometimes, but also want to switch to clean quickly, then go with the DLX RV.

if you want to use the amp clean only, then the HR DLX is a good choice also.

man, i'd love to have any of these, but musicians are poor people, and so am i!

I'm getting one tomorrow i think(18 hour to deside):)

but i'm so afraid of buying an amp that is too loud for home use/bedroom, even if i don't crank it...

I've had a tiny terror, I've allways used it at 7W, but then on the other side, i cranked it, even at 15W.

What to do, still thinking of the blues jr...

Isn't the princeton reverb a good choice to? isn't it quite similar to the drri?

There is something made for 'to loud, to hard' and things..

Something called a volume knob...:P

yeah definitely! i never understood the "too loud" issue completely.

though you could argue that the good sound you want only appears at higher volumes, which seems to be so with certain setups...

yeah definitely! i never understood the "too loud" issue completely.

though you could argue that the good sound you want only appears at higher volumes, which seems to be so with certain setups...

Yes that's the thing indeed, but you can also get some sound protection on the walls, and turn the volume up, you can also get ear protection and turn the volume up :lol:

then you might think about a customized version of the hrd. your local amp-seller should have some good electric-stuff-guy who will easily change the volume-pot to one that definitely suits your amp and is just how you like it... that ain't the problem. it shouldn't cost you more than 20€ (which is a fair price to pay for a 500€++(don't know the exact price) amp)

how do you guys get the crunchy rythm sound that jonny uses without cranking the amp? do you use a ts9 or something? I thought i would be able to decide which amp to go for, but i came back home without any amp:P The cleans at the hrd seemed to be a bit more colored than the prri/drri

how do you guys get the cruncy rythm sound that jonny uses without cranking the amp? do you use a ts9 or something? I thought i would be able to deside which amp to go for, but i came back home without any amp:P The cleans at the hrd seemed to be a bit more colored than the prri/drri

you see, normally, you would use pedals aswell! a TS (any kind from ibanez, they're all good) would do that job pretty good i suppose, but a ProCo RAT will never do.

there are certain things you need to watch, see "soft clipping" and "hard clipping" (distortion-types); pros can read that out of a schematic very quickly...

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER EVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER buy stuff "just for so" (except if there's a money refund...), you ABSOLUTELY MUST TEST YOUR GEAR!!!

to the amp-crunch:

it depends on the kind of amp (Solidstate/tube) and generally on different stuff, but see, these amps have a "Master Volume" knob, which is one real good feature.

so you have a "gain" and a "volume" knob, what to do? i prefer to turn my gain up to about 40-45% and the volume just as desired.

could you please tell us all the amps with full names (at least not like HRDLX etc, might be confusing now) that can be taken into consideration that you'd buy?

or if you are still looking for any amp, then what features you want and the maximum price.

that would really help us to help you

I've been looking at fender blues junior, hot rod deluxe, princeton reverb, deluxe reverb. Also looked at a vox ac15, but it may not be the one for me(compared it to the fender hot rod deluxe)

I want this amp to have fender cleans, and i'll just use overdrive and distortion pedals.

But thats maybe where i'm gonna get trouble? because jonny probably gets his crunchy sound from the amp breakup:S

I love the cleans at the deluxe reverb, but it doesn't have a master vol, but that isn't that importent if i can get a similar sound with a ts9 or another overdrive pedal.

The hot rod deluxe seems to have a not so reliable amp design, and the cleans was a bit more colored compared to the deluxe and princeton reverb! Liked the clear clean tones from the last two.

Hard to say a maximum price, since it cost quite much here in norway.

A deluxe reverb cost about 2200 in dollars over here.

but i may be open for other amps, but we are a bit limited, they don't have too much amps in the local store.

don't kill me if i'm wong, but jonny does certainly NOT get his crunch from his amp. how'd he change the sound quickly? the amp's in the back...

he's got his pedals, they're enough! and so the pedals will be right for you as well, but chose them wisely!

You're may be right, but he has 3 amps, so he could change amp as fast as he could step on his ocd or ts or whatever ;) But who knows...

QuestionsOfScience:

The deluxe reverb cost a lot of money, it also is overpriced here, but i already have been saving up money:)

fortunately, we got higher payments in norway, i think, so it does match the prices...kind of!

Did you mean blues or pro junior?

You're may be right, but he has 3 amps, so he could change amp as fast as he could step on his ocd or ts or whatever ;) But who knows...

QuestionsOfScience:

The deluxe reverb cost a lot of money, it also is overpriced here, but i already have been saving up money:)

fortunately, we got higher payments in norway, i think, so it does match the prices...kind of!

Did you mean blues or pro junior?

Why don't you get it from Germany? I always get it from there, huge difference in price!

bought a deluxe reverb... Got a better deal:)

But thanks for the help guys anyways! Couldn't buy the hot rod deluxe because of many people having problem with it, design problem, and i figured out that i liked the deluxe reverb better after playing it, and i think i will be able to get som jonny sounds out of it!:)

And the blues jr byt the way, didn't have that clear clean sound that i wanted.

i've heard that the deluxe reverb should be quite versatile, wish me good luck with it!

The blues jr didn't have that clear cleans that i wanted.

I think i will enjoy my new amp:D

congratulations!

see, you thought about the other amps, didn't like the sound as much as the deluxe reverb and finally bought the right amp for you!

choices such as this one need some time...

btw: what did you pay for it?

@stephan:

do you order the stuff online or do you go into actual stores? (i know that the MusicStore in cologne isn't that far...) or do you go to a local store, test the stuff and buy it cheaper online? :D

Congratz with the new amp!!!! :dance: :dance:

@princesanji: I test them local in the store and get them via musicstore.de.

It depends on the guitar, my Fender Tele was bought in the local store.

I'm also getting an USA std. Jazz bass this month or so.. also local.

But things like pics, stands, bags, and alot more, some instruments came from Germany! :D

i payed 1900 dollars for it...Not cheap, but cheaper than 2200$! Bought it from a local store, but things like effects and other accessories i buy from ebay, a german store, and music123 or 123music.com:P Save a lot money buying pedals from the us, or germany:)

Sometimes i play stuff in the store, then i buy it online, but i do like to support the few local stores we have left:)