✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Proposed Amendments

chuck kottke

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the beginning, the authors of the U.S. Bill of Rights knew the temptation of money grabs by incumbents in office. The second article of amendment proposed to the Constitution addressed one aspect of greed during that time: Article the second... No law varying the compensation for the services of the Senators or Representatives shall take effect until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.

In other words, Senators and Representatives cannot increase their salaries (vote themselves a raise) during their present term of office. Of course, this amendment didn't pass..:laugh3:

This is but a mild problem, compared to the election campaign contributions, TV ads, and the revolving door between Congress and private lobbying or consulting firms.

Short of an amendment, every time we attempt to curb the influence of big money, the high court bangs down the gavel on reform efforts. Making it stick is the question, so end-games cannot be run around it...

It's us against the world, the world of big money, that is.

In Jeff Madrick's new book, Age of Greed, he talks about how greed in general and greedy individuals since the 1970's have been screwing up our economy. In a recent interview by Lynn Parramore for Huffington Post, he explains the long slide into the abyss we've been experiencing: "The history of this period is a history of the abdication of government authority. Part of it was the result of this rising ideology in the 70's. Part of it was because Americans became convinced that big government and some kinds of regulations are problems. A lot of it had to do eventually with the sheer power of business to attract & influence these decision makers. Greed would have remained checked had government been doing what it should have been doing."

Now, why wasn't government doing what it should have been doing? I think the answer is with the power of the biggest gamblers with the most money to buy the government they wanted, through campaign financing, election / issue ads, and lobbying jobs to lawmakers.

And they're still doing that, only even more so. So to take the influence of big money out of politics is to level the playing field and set fair rules of conduct for all to follow in the economic sphere.

That is why I am such a strong advocate for campaign finance reform and Constitutional Amendments. We have the right to Fair Elections because we deserve a fair economic system. We the People, not a limited few, but all Citizens are in charge of this nation. And if we truly believe in Liberty and Justice for All, now is the time for us to act.

I believe there is an intersection where the Right to Fair Elections meets the Right to Free Press, and at that intersection, the Right to Fair Elections has the right-of-way. Why? Because if we don't have Fair Elections, we won't have a Free Press. We are slowly abdicating all of our rights as well as compromising the rights of citizens in other nations via poor policies, the result of allowing a ruling plutocracy to dominate government. Some might even argue that our press is already highly compromised, and indeed it seems to be. But to break up the media monopolies and return journalism to it's roots of journalistic integrity and accurate analysis, the essential prerequisite is to take the big money out of politics.

The role of government is the role of the arbiter of fairness in society and promoter of progress. Let's make it work for us again by restoring the foundations of our Democracy.

"And the banks became cathedrals"

The commercial banks are Wall Street gaming tables all rigged by a few high priests of finance, some you see, some you don't. Those same high priests, members of the plutocracy, control the government via campaign financing and lobbying jobs.

This must come to an end. Game Over Banksters!

When I look at what the US does fund and what it doesn't - it seems there's virtually unlimited resources available for the war department and protection of giant corporate interests, and barely a trickle for humanitarian relief efforts, and for getting jobs and meaningful careers to people in need - to create a healthy vibrant global economy.

Government's role is "to promote the general welfare", which is to say our government, on our behalf, is there to set up the right conditions and promote positive ventures for citizens to seek improvements in their lives. By extension, this applies to citizens of the world - for promoting the well being of all ultimately makes for greater global contentment, productivity, and improvements in fair trade.

In order for that change to happen, and for us to honor this goal, we must elect an honest government which respects our highest aspirations as a people. The prerequisite is an honest and fair elections process, in essence, The Right to Fair Elections.

When I look at what the US does fund and what it doesn't - it seems there's virtually unlimited resources available for the war department and protection of giant corporate interests, and barely a trickle for humanitarian relief efforts, and for getting jobs and meaningful careers to people in need - to create a healthy vibrant global economy.

Government's role is "to promote the general welfare", which is to say our government, on our behalf, is there to set up the right conditions and promote positive ventures for citizens to seek improvements in their lives. By extension, this applies to citizens of the world - for promoting the well being of all ultimately makes for greater global contentment, productivity, and improvements in fair trade.

In order for that change to happen, and for us to honor this goal, we must elect an honest government which respects our highest aspirations as a people. The prerequisite is an honest and fair elections process, in essence, The Right to Fair Elections.

Well written, Chuck.

Problem number one-Government can't create a healthy global economy. It only has a history of failure in that area. Just wait for the 700 trillion in derivatives to collapse and funding a war will be hard. Well then again the riots and other violence will probably be as bad as a war.

I really fell out of the political arena in the last few years just to focus on the economic aspect. The real game changing policies come from economics, and that's all controlled by those who own the money supply-the Fed.

"Give me control of a nations money supply, and I care not who makes it’s laws"-Amschel Rothchild

It all boils down who runs the economy. Control the economy and you control the laws.

Problem number one-Government can't create a healthy global economy. It only has a history of failure in that area. Just wait for the 700 trillion in derivatives to collapse and funding a war will be hard. Well then again the riots and other violence will probably be as bad as a war.

I really fell out of the political arena in the last few years just to focus on the economic aspect. The real game changing policies come from economics, and that's all controlled by those who own the money supply-the Fed."Give me control of a nations money supply, and I care not who makes it’s laws"-Amschel Rothchild

It all boils down who runs the economy. Control the economy and you control the laws.

Very interesting Nick. This actually reminded me of: "Money makes the world go round".

Money makes the world go round for the end of Amendments .

because we are all so democratized and institutionalized prisoners of states. we poor people, we have no right to speak. because we are not importante to change the world in a better place.

So the first article is violated .

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

Article 1.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Money makes the world go round for the end of Amendments .

because we are all so democratized and institutionalized prisoners of states. we poor people, we have no right to speak. because we are not importante to change the world in a better place.

So the first article is violated .

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

> Prisoners of state we are not, unless we believe we are. We may be more disposed to tolerate dysfunctional institutions rather than risk changing those institutions, but along comes problems such as unemployment & income inequities, resulting from systems of governance controlled by a power elite. Then the power of mass gestalt becomes an undeniable force for change, for revolution.

We are powerful if we work together in unison.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

It is the collective conscience which is stirring from a long slumber.

Quoting from Democracy Now!'s interview of Richard Wolff, Emeritus Professor of Economics at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, and visiting professor at New School University:

"So, over the last 30, 40 years, a shift from corporate income tax to individual income tax, and among individuals, from the rich to everybody else. To deal with our budget problem without discussing that, putting that front and center, making that part of the story, that’s just a service to the rich and the corporations. There’s no polite way to say otherwise. And there’s something shameful about keeping all of that away and focusing on how we’re going to take out our budget problems by cutting back benefits to old people, to people who have medical needs. There’s something bizarre, and the world sees that, in a society that has done what it has done and now proposes to fix it on the backs of the majority."

Now you tell me, who has too much power, the fed or a few wealthy individuals who have bought the government they want, and have bent the rules for their own favor to the point of breaking the country? And if we sink, so does the global economy - so we had better fix this leaky ship and get it back to floating right for smooth sailing, or down we all go.

Check out the full interview, if you like: Richard Wolff: Debt Showdown is "Political Theater" Burdening Society's Most Vulnerable

Sure that the society is vulnerable, but it's just because society wants to be perfect and do not give chance to people who have a normal conscience, integrity, the company wants robots without soul. the family is not a priority for the economy. beyond which the economy is people. and people themselves have a family structure. but people should not get to live without social ties to meet the economy is going wrong.'s economy collapses. more unemployment. more people with social problems. more mentally ill, physical .

people when they are rich are greedy (I know I have a part of my family is rich, business owners, an engineer for NASA, banker, journalist, ect ..).

and anyway very rare people rich give half their money to the poors. I think it does not exist. materialism among richs wow .. delirium.

So.. if society does not the main quality of a person who is just the personality integrity, sharing in a society. and empathy as the first knowledge base.

then yes the economy collapses they just look. because the economy is people who make work ..

more when I hear that the employers of important companies committed suicide because of work I find it absolutely scandalous from the part of this companies. murderers then .

no gouverments do not put penalties on people richs or companies when they exaggerate everything and they are allowed. But they must understand that the state pays the drifts of poor people. exemple the social . and the fault of the companies perform increased risk of destabilizing the eco system itself.

All, equal in dignity and rights a little much utopic and unrealistic in my opinion

but I loved the utopias described here :cheesy:

http://etab.ac-orleans-tours.fr/lyc-en-foret-montargis/international/L_utopie.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I get what you're saying Lory, but checks and balances must extend to checking the influence of money in elections, or what happens (at least here, if not in Switzerland) is a government which no longer cares about the majority of its citizens, only what the moneyed few say and want. Social needs are not met when only money talks, and right now money rules the election process.

The US government was founded on the principle of promoting the welfare of the citizens of the nation - and recently, that responsibility has slide off the deep end. Nurturing is essential in promoting a healthy economy and a healthy country, progress must include the essential needs of families first, or the very base of our societies are put into peril.

Help put the :heart: back in the USA. Please watch this YouTube short film:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5kHACjrdEY&feature=player_embedded]The Story of Citizens United v. FEC (2011) - YouTube[/ame]

We The People, in order to form a more perfect union, establish peace, justice, and tranquility, to ensure the blessings of liberty for ourselves and our posterity,

do ordain and establish this Constitution.

*Bring meaning back to those words; those are not just words tattooed on parchment, they are our legacy, our commitment to justice and equal representation in a government of, by, and for we Citizens.

The pedestal for the Statue of Liberty is built of Egyptian and Greek architecture, the statue is a gift from the Citizens of France, and it was the work and generosity of average men and women from all walks of life who financed it, and who built it. If we cannot see ourselves as global citizens, we have surely lost our roots and our bearings in this world. Let's reflect a higher set of moral principles and rise to the occasion, for now is a time of great change in the world, and we must advance our Democracy as our neighbors in the world work to advance theirs. With Liberty, Justice, and Equal Rights for All.

In Solidarity,

from Chuck.

The Right to Fair Elections is the right through which all other rights are protected. We have a right to fair elections, where all qualifying candidates have equal access to, equal funding for, and equal time on the broadcast commons, the modern public square. Let the voters choose their representation from candidates on a level playing field.

Help put the :heart: back in the USA.

We The People, in order to form a more perfect union, establish peace, justice, and tranquility, to ensure the blessings of liberty for ourselves and our posterity,

do ordain and establish this Constitution.

*Bring meaning back to those words; those are not just words tattooed on parchment, they are our legacy, our commitment to justice and equal representation in a government of, by, and for we Citizens.

The pedestal for the Statue of Liberty is built of Egyptian and Greek architecture, the statue is a gift from the Citizens of France, and it was the work and generosity of average men and women from all walks of life who financed it, and who built it. If we cannot see ourselves as global citizens, we have surely lost our roots and our bearings in this world.

Let's reflect a higher set of moral principles and rise to the occasion, for now is a time of great change in the world, and we must advance our Democracy as our neighbors in the world work to advance theirs. With Liberty, Justice, and Equal Rights for All. In Solidarity,

from Chuck.

I use GREEN - the colour of HOPE.

I hope that your APPEAL will be heard.

Putting this into a brief and clearly expressed form: "The right to fair elections, the right through which all other rights are protected, shall be guaranteed, including equal access to, equal funding for, and equal time on the broadcast commons for all qualifying candidates running for a particular public office. Congress shall determine funding amounts allowed, and shall have the power to regulate campaigns and enforce this amendment through appropriate legislation."

That's the best I can come up with at present, and please offer suggestions for improvement on the wording of this amendment.

Thanks Nancy!

Hm, thinking about other wordings...

How about this:

" The right of the citizens to fair elections, the right through which all other rights are preserved, shall be protected and enhanced, and equal access to and equal time on common broadcast mediums guaranteed for all qualifying candidates. Congress shall determine allowable funding levels and limits for campaigns, and shall have the power to enforce this amendment through appropriate legislation."

Perhaps this wording is better?

Basically the right of fair elections inherently requires that all candidates to be heard equally well in the public square of the day.

Congress holds the key here, and I believe the only way to get Congress to propose and ratify such an amendment is to create enough grass roots support so that anyone in Congress either has to back the amendment or face the consequences come voting time.

Since states cannot easily enact such a amendment owing to the majority conservative justices court's striking down as unconstitutional any state laws or amendments that try to limit the undue influence of interests on elections, it may have to begin as non-binding resolutions at the local and then state levels, and I would think there is ample support among the citizens for such measures. As issues become more in the forefront, given the problems we currently face, I think there would be ample public support for such measures, then with clearly favored legislation and very powerful support by a broad majority, the issue cannot be ignored by members of congress, even if some of them are tempted by whatever campaign donations, quid pro quos, or lobbying jobs are offered them by major campaign donors. Either they pass it, or loose the election - and for many of them, it may take that kind of pressure. Conversely, if it becomes a powerful enough issue, those candidates who support this amendment will find favor with the voters.

Article Five of the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia