✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Proposed Amendments

chuck kottke

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I've been thinking, as an amendment to the U.S. Constitution:

>> We have the right to fair elections, including the right for all adult citizens to vote, the right to an impartial and transparent voting process, and the right to fair candidate races for office.

*in more detail* >> We have the right to fair candidate races for office, including the right for all candidates, during an election year, to have equal access to the broadcast commons, in order to communicate using the broadcast mediums available on an equal basis, and the right of protection against improper or excessive influence in elections by any association or group.

>> All donations and promotions to candidate races, either directly or indirectly, shall not exceed 1/2 of 1% of the median income level of a citizen, as determined by the most recent census estimates. (I'm taking a guess at what level is reasonable to cap donation limits at - change this as you like, keeping with the basic theme of limiting undue influence)

>> Equality of access and equality of air time on the broadcast medias to all candidates during an election year shall be protected. Congress shall have the power and duty to enforce this article through appropriate legislation.

>> We, the citizens, have the right to hold in common all that which is naturally present throughout our country, and innately common to all, and any party or parties having been granted privileged use of that commons have the obligation to return to the people significant access to the commons, and to any improvements made upon those commons, in return for their privilege to use the commons. Congress shall have the power and the duty to enforce this article through appropriate legislation.

Now there is a chicken-and-egg problem because anything we put into the Constitution is only useful if the people elected are willing to read it and interpret it as it is written and intended, and the court members they appoint willing to do so with honesty as well. And given the cycle of money buying elections which then funnels more money in to buy more elections, it will be a challenge to break this vicious cycle. But I think it can be done. With popular movements throughout history is has been done, and it will be done again.

It would be cool, but sadly not many people know the amendments of the constitution of their country.

That may be true, but I think there is a general sense of fair-play with all people, and after all the bad things that have happened recently - including the economic crisis - one would think that there's an understanding of something really being amiss with the basic process checking government-corporate abuses..

The U.S. revolution was a result of a rebellion against corporate-government abuses of power (East India Company & Parliament that time), so people become aware when something is grossly unfair. We do protest in unison when the feeling of being left out of the process and being forced to pay unfairly to a corrupt arrangement becomes clearer.. I think there's a sense out there that something is fundamentally wrong, but then again, some people are being misled by those causing the problems, so some honest information needs to be put into the forefront.

That may be true, but I think there is a general sense of fair-play with all people, and after all the bad things that have happened recently - including the economic crisis - one would think that there's an understanding of something really being amiss with the basic process checking government-corporate abuses..

The U.S. revolution was a result of a rebellion against corporate-government abuses of power (East India Company & Parliament that time), so people become aware when something is grossly unfair. We do protest in unison when the feeling of being left out of the process and being forced to pay unfairly to a corrupt arrangement becomes clearer.. I think there's a sense out there that something is fundamentally wrong, but then again, some people are being misled by those causing the problems, so some honest information needs to be put into the forefront.

I completely agree with you. You have the potential to be a great history professor.

I completely agree with you. You have the potential to be a great history professor.

:) Thanks for the kind words - I'll have to consider that! But I'd like to see my country fix this fundamental flaw before we get into another potentially worse problem down the line with a market crash, and also to re-establish a flourishing middle class, both here and globally. It just seems like the time is right to change things..

its always the right time to change things, but you seem a bit too optimistic, Chuck. This cycle of government abuse has been going on for the last couple centuries, and its seems naive to expect such a simple change of heart. Its not like you're the first person to propose this, and as Nick keeps saying, the government already violates its own constitution, more amendments won't make any difference as there's no one but the politicians to hold themselves accountable.

its always the right time to change things, but you seem a bit too optimistic, Chuck.

:laugh3: I can't help it - I was born this way!

I think about this: There was a famous peace negotiator who had some success in places where they say, "if you know too much about the history, you would have realized that peace was impossible." Yet he had success getting people to come to the table, negotiate, and make agreements that brought peace! So, if you never try, you'll never know. Anything's possible, and all the more probable at the right moment, if we are prepared. As Albert Einstein once said, "Chance favors the prepared mind"...

This cycle of government abuse has been going on for the last couple centuries, and its seems naive to expect such a simple change of heart.

Well, if you're referring to the current congressmen and congresswomen to have a change of heart, I'm not expecting that, at least not in the immediate. But if the will of we, the people becomes strong enough, and focused at the central or core issues causing the problems in our democracy, I think there's hope for real change, when a movement get's strong enough to be unquenchable. But to offer some hope, and some ideas to rally around - it all depends on the moment in time, and how people are being affected.. The sense of despair is strong, yet everyone's waiting for a solution to rally around, or a movement to get involved in - and that's already afoot in reform movements of many types. But the central problem should bring us all together, as it's in our common interest to address it and press for changes.

Its not like you're the first person to propose this, and as Nick keeps saying, the government already violates its own constitution, more amendments won't make any difference as there's no one but the politicians to hold themselves accountable.

And no doubt the "government" has in the past as well. But then the "government" is our government, if we choose to take it back. It's really as I mentioned the problem of first getting more honest and broad-minded citizens elected to office, so that the Constitution will again be respected and upheld by both the Congress and the Courts.

My point of suggesting amendments is merely to provide a more clear goal, if one does not already exists, to be the staff of truth we must push ahead with. If it is enacted, if ever - it would make it clear that once we establish a more equitable system, then the ability over time of corruption to dethrone this higher and essential set of rights and principles would be diminished, as amendments that are written, and written clearly, are tough to run end-games around. And just as the other amendments guaranteeing our rights provide us with clear rallying points to ask for a redress of grievances, so too penning more rights into the amendments would provide clear written points to help re-establish our rights, if they are again lost.

But primarily as a point to get people interested in change. The Declaration of Independence listed many of the grievances we had with the King of England at the time - it served as a lightning rod to collect people's popular sentiments and imagination. And it was popularly supported - even in England and France! So, to collect the thoughts into one document or set of statements is helpful, and in time, change will happen. It's in our nature, and we have a long established tradition of popular movements changing our country - an it's time once again.

Breaking it down into separate areas, and with some changes:

Article A: Voting rights, Fair elections:

1. We have the right to fair elections, including the right for all adult citizens to vote, the right to an impartial and transparent voting process, and the right to fair elections.

2. We have the right to fair candidate races for office, including the right for all candidates, during and election year, to have equal access to the broadcast commons, in order to communicate using the broadcast mediums available on an equal basis, and the right of protection against improper or excessive influence by any association or group (be they corporate, guild, legal firm, commercial bank, or other)..

Article B: Fair donation limits, linked to affordable discretionary monetary levels of citizens:

All donations and promotions to candidate races, either directly or indirectly, for any given race shall not exceed 1% of income for the median income level citizen, that level determined using the most recent census datum. (For example, if median income is $34,000 per year, this would cap the donation level at $340 U.S., and tie the limit to median income, thus promoting the growth and improvement of the middle class). Congress shall have the power to write appropriate legislation to enforce this article of amendment.

*additionally, all donations shall be from residents within the given candidates' district

Article C: Delineation and protection of the commons; the linked right of candidates to have equal access to the commons.:

We the citizens have the right to hold in common trust all that which is naturally present throughout the country and innately common in nature to all. Any party or parties having been granted privileged use of that commons have the obligation to return to the people significant access both to the commons and to any improvements made upon those commons. Congress shall have the power and duty to enforce this article through appropriate legislation.

Equality of access and equality of air time on the broadcast medias (part of the commons) for all candidates during an election year shall be protected. Congress shall have the power and duty to enforce this article through appropriate legislation.

The alarm bell was triggered not by what they saw, but by what they didn't see; then came the Bill of Rights.

US minister to France Thomas Jefferson wrote to James Madison of his concern about "the omission of a bill of rights... providing clearly for freedom of religion, freedom of the press, protection against standing armies, and restrictions against monopolies"

While monopolies may not be present today, in effect groups of moneyed interests have grown so large and powerful, that they have many of the same deleterious effects upon our government, and the ramifications are felt far and wide. What can be done is the question, and we must find an answer.

Mob rules?:pimp2::smoking: Alright Mugsy - you stand here and guard the back door - I don't want you lettin' anyone otta this place, ya hear? Me and Guido are going in the front to make the hit, and grab the loot in the safe when the gin joint closes at twelve.

No witnesses to amend the story, and everyone's gonna get their cut of the dough. You keep squeaky and sugar quiet on the whole deal too.

:laugh3:

Amendment: Wednesday will be officially known as Sarah Palin day!

:laugh3: She's perfect for a calendar, Nick.

Dan Quayle, Sarah Palin, and who's next in their lineup?

Friends of mine have suggested that the Reps will be looking for a young charismatic Baptist minister to be their next Presidential pick. Long ways off from here, but the end in nearer than we think!

I keep thinking - "Why not just pick a corporate logo to be President?" - since they're going to be in charge financially, and have gained the right to speak, spend, and vote dollar-wise..

Never mind me - just frustrated at the Supremes..

In considering the problem we're dealing with, I mused over it for a while..

A better examination involving the problem of how elections are financed is to look back into history at what had transpired to drive our land into separating from English rule in 1776. The ability of one corporation - the East India Company - to find preferential favor with Parliament & to receive kickbacks on the tea tax, along with Parliament's demand for colonial tax money and unwillingness to allow the American colonists representation in government, led the impetus for revolt against the system. That, and the legitimate concern that one corporation could wield such enormous power and control, fueled the cause of liberty. Today, we haven't any true monopolies, but what we do have are large controlling interests in the form of commercial banks, corporate PAC and lobbying firms, and other associations of power that effectively have limited citizen control over our elected government, and used their influence for economic & political gain, at our expense.

What has resulted is a system of governance unable to check the power of these groups. In order to secure economic fair play and stability in the markets, as well as to properly regulate certain industries for the health and safety of workers and consumers, we must regain citizen control of our democracy. Gradually loosing control of the commons - the air, water, public land, and broadcast spectrum - to these powerful entities is still another major infraction against our liberties and collective rights as citizens. Perhaps it is time to right the ship of liberty, and restore our rightful place on it. A government of, by, and for the people, with liberty and equal justice for all. A motto we need to live up to!

U.S. Minister to France Thomas Jefferson wrote to James Madison about his concern regarding the omission of certain rights in the new constitution, including protections against standing armies, and restrictions against monopolies. Given the current conditions, I would say Jefferson's concerns ring as true today as they did in 1789!;)

A condensation of possible Amendments:

1. The right to vote for all adult citizens shall not be infringed upon.

2. All citizens have the right to an impartial, reliable, and transparent voting process.

3. We have the right to fair candidate races. Essential to protecting the freedoms of speech and of the press is obtaining honest representation in government - for protection of our basic rights can only occur when the body entrusted with representing our will (and selecting court members to protect our rights in cases involving law or legislation) is elected in a fair process by the will of we, the people.

4. We have the right to limit the undue influence of money in the elections process, especially in candidate races and on broadcast expenditures. We have the right of equality of candidate access to the broadcast medias.