✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Proposed Amendments

chuck kottke

The right of equality of time and access to the broadcast medias, and to limits on campaign expenditures protecting the right to fair candidate races, shall not be infringed. Congress has the authority and duty to write appropriate legislation for this article of amendment.

>> we can only hope to correct the imbalances after we begin to replace those elected officials beholden to moneyed interests with representatives of the people - individuals responsive to the will of broad coalitions within their respective jurisdictions. It has been accomplished, and will need to be expanded to gain a new progressive government capable of protecting our rights.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you familiar with the Dred Scott decision and its impact in American History?

Well, from what I know of it, it had a bizarre outcome - The court's decision was that the Scotts (Harriet and Dred) were considered slaves, the Missouri compromise was declared unconstitutional, yet all but three of the justices upheld that free black men and women were citizens (but to what degree I am not sure - 3/5ths?) - all that, even though the Scotts were residing in free territory - Illinois. The Southerners to a large extent welcomed the decision, but the young Republican party rejected the decision, as it would have effectively extended slavery into the free states of the North. It also reduced the power of the states in determining a persons' status. It took the Civil War and the 13th and 14th amendments to finally put an end to slavery in the U.S., and even that did not stop segregation and the denying of voting rights to black citizens. The voting rights act & subsequent legislation, the result of the freedom riders' activism and marches drove the issue to the forefront in our nation.

Yes, it takes a movement to get real change - I agree! But perhaps having some ideas of what one wants to change helps crystallize one's thoughts. In the revolution, the slogan of "no taxation without representation," and the rallying of the people to stop the shipments of tea from docking and unloading at colonial ports was effective for starting the revolution. And during the Civil War, Lincoln's speech at Gettysburg provided a sense of purpose to a higher calling - to end slavery.

So yes, I am familiar with the Dred Scott decision, but it's probably way more nuanced than I'm fully aware of - clue me in!!

please reflect your thoughts about this country, well and through. and be a good leader by repairing our mistakes. it wouldn't hurt to try. :)

This!

Haha, I was about to say something about our constitution, but if expressed what I had in mind here, I might be setting myself up for imprisonment... I am serious, yo. We can't question a lot of things in this country, because everyone's so hypersensitive. Or at least that's what they want you to think. I just hope one day our people would stop being so sensitive, and that the government can allow us the freedom to start talking about the issues that trouble us in order to solve them, and not use these issues as a way to gain popularity.

This!

Haha, I was about to say something about our constitution, but if expressed what I had in mind here, I might be setting myself up for imprisonment... I am serious, yo. We can't question a lot of things in this country, because everyone's so hypersensitive. Or at least that's what they want you to think. I just hope one day our people would stop being so sensitive, and that the government can allow us the freedom to start talking about the issues that trouble us in order to solve them, and not use these issues as a way to gain popularity.

Agreed. I think the government are very keen in producing more idiots each day with all the ridiculous laws taking place. Our education system for example, doesn't allow discussions on political issues in classrooms or you'll be thrown into jail under the Internal Security Act (ISA- google it if this term is not familiar to you), when the truth is that the textbooks used are filled with praises for the government and teachers are constantly being asked to promote all the 'good things' done by the government. So the way we were taught in school was in a democratic country like ours, Government = God, Oppositions = Useless Piece of Shit. Fucking hypocrite.

Agreed. I think the government are very keen in producing more idiots each day with all the ridiculous laws taking place. Our education system for example, doesn't allow discussions on political issues in classrooms or you'll be thrown into jail under the Internal Security Act (ISA- google it if this term is not familiar to you), when the truth is that the textbooks used are filled with praises for the government and teachers are constantly being asked to promote all the 'good things' done by the government. So the way we were taught in school was in a democratic country like ours, Government = God, Oppositions = Useless Piece of Shit. Fucking hypocrite.

Sounds like brainwashing!:stunned:

Hi Zeya! Haven't seen you around here in ages!

mc_squared, it is indeed brainwashing. Everytime a new prime minister gets elected and comes up with some rubbish ideology, the government do everything they can to stuff their ideology down our throats. School kids have to sing bloody songs about these ideologies every Monday morning! Poor things. The only newspapers sold in shops are controlled by the government. Alternative papers are restricted to, what, once every fortnight? The only other source of news we can get are online. And even now the government are finding a way to control information spread through the internet. We get ministers like Rais Yatim stating, 'We shouldn't accept the internet yadda yadda yadda. We are embracing the internet in a state of culture shock yadda yadda yadda.' Uh huh. They're just scared that we're getting more info than they're comfortable with.

I think once these poor children get into university and start thinking for themselves, a lot of them become more critical. That's why the University Act exists... University students aren't allowed to be involved in politics because of it. Zeya, how come university students are allowed to enter Puteri Umno, then?

I've come to the point where I do believe the government are very keen on producing more idiots each day. Because the more idiotic we are, the less we talk, therefore the longer they stay in power.

We're not stupid any more though.

:disappointed: It is indeed a joke. Any outsider looking in can tell, too. So many things need to be changed, I don't even know where to start! But what can we do? You write about it, you get arrested. You participate in demonstrations, you get arrested (except if you're demonstrating with someone from the government like Khairy, harharhar. Remember when did that protest when Condoleezza Rice's visited the country? Yeah, that was completely harmless. His intention was good, I'll give you that, but if Khairy wasn't there, who knows what kinda fate the protesters would face... Again, the double standard). You write a letter to the authorities, and they ignore you. Man, it's frustrating.

So yeah, what change do I want? I want the media to be independent. No more control by the people in power, please. Let alternative channels be more widely available, so that those living in rural areas get to make up their own minds instead of having their opinions shaped by news fed to them by the government due to the fact that there is no other choice.

Hi Pai, and hello Zeya! :)

The perils of concentrated power in any form are serious things, that's for sure! I think about the colonists here in America during colonial rule - there lives were in danger & their houses sometimes searched and ransacked to find any evidence of opposition to colonial governors and the King of England (and any untaxed tea or whiskey). We have problems here as well - not as severe by any means, but our media does what it's ownership wants, so they can't always just give the news. Concentrated media ownership is to blame to a large extent. Rupert Murdock owns roughly 40% of all the media outlets in the U.S. last estimate I heard, and changed the rules (via cronies) at or Federal Communications Commission to allow himself to own more than a third. With that much power in the hands of so few ( & with a political agenda), it's little wonder the U.S. is in war after war after war! Thank God the internet is still an open forum!! Our saving grace from complete totalitarian rule. (that and Public Broadcasting, and some cable/satellite broadcasts - Democracy Now, Free Speech TV, etc. - can you receive then in Malaysia?)

Speaking out in public has always been perilous - here too. I wish you all the best in finding and opening up people's eyes in Malaysia! What happened when Condoleezza Rice visited? In terms of dangers of being a protester, here in the U.S. there is a lot of information gathering on opposition - probably many phone conversations, internet, etc. - but it's hard to datamine it, and it's illegal, but it goes on anyway.. So much for our right of privacy and protections against Orwellian forces! But it's hands-off generally unless there's a warrant or order to the NSA.

I want the media to be independent too! :) Yours & ours.

Amendment V

Thoughts about the matter:

As Thomas Jefferson made a clear point of it in one of his letters to James Madison in 1789, essential to the Bill of Rights was the inclusion of restrictions against monopolies. A longstanding problem, and as present today as ever, yet there it was, way back in the 1700's. There has yet to be an amendment placing restrictions on monopolies, or major moneyed organizations, whether they be corporate entities, investment banks, or other such agglomerated forms of capital.

It should come as no surprise these near-monopolies, sometimes termed oligopolies, under the control of their principal owners, have used their concentrated economic power to gain excessive political power, often against the interests of the majority of citizens, and with indifference to our will. We are feeling the economic consequences of allowing this to happen unchecked, and without action, we will face further economic shocks.

In the spirit of Jefferson's ideals, we would be best served by protecting against the undue influence of a few powerful moneyed interests in our political process.

:rolleyes::laugh3: Nothing new under the sun, that's for sure! Resist.;)

I've taken the time to rewrite the amendment thought experiments I was creating - if anyone's interested:

Amendment I.

The right to vote for all citizens of voting age shall not be infringed.

Amendment II.

The right to an impartial and transparent voting system, the right of protection of the voting process, shall not be infringed.

Amendment III.

The right to fair candidate races for office, the process of equitable selection of representation, shall be protected and enhanced for ourselves and posterity. Congress shall have the power and duty to enforce this article of amendment through appropriate legislation.

[Definition: Broadcast Commons: All media commonly used to disseminate news, entertainment, and information to the general public, including television and radio broadcasting, newspapers, periodicals and others.]

Amendment IV:

Equality of access to, and equality of time on, the broadcast commons for candidates in an election year, the right to be heard equitably in the public square for debate and candidate speech, shall be protected and enhanced for ourselves and posterity. Congress shall have the power and duty to enforce this article of amendment through appropriate legislation.

================================================================

Protections against monopolies, oligopolies, and other forms of concentrated, uncompetitive capital:

Amendment V:

Citizens and businesses shall enjoy the right to fair competition in the marketplace, equitable and competitive market practices shall be encouraged & protected, and periodic independent reviews conducted of market practices. Congress shall have the power and duty to enforce this article through appropriate legislation.

>> In a sense limiting the influence of big money in campaigns will encourage the ability of congress to break up large powerful interests, restore market equity and competitiveness, and lessen the degree to which the military-industrial complex may be using our government to promote warfare (if this be the case). Robust markets help encourage the growth of the middle class, and thus help bolster participatory democracy.

>>Both Jefferson and Washington warned us about the dangers of standing armies, and President Eisenhower warned up as well of the dangers posed by the military-industrial complex if left unchecked in it's influence, growth, and power. Given the propensity to which military force is used by our government, it seems clear we need to limit undue influence in our government.

Malaysia - Well, I'm not aware of what's amiss where you live - I only know what troubles the U.S. has - perhaps the same problem all over? You would make a good leader in Malaysia, but thanks just the same!:)

shite. when i said : please reflect your thoughts about this country, well and through. and be a good leader by repairing our mistakes. it wouldn't hurt to try. :)

i meant it for the leader of Malaysia. :\

---

i agree with Zeya and Pai.

For us here to do something against the government, it takes a lot of guts. The government always find ways in winning over the opposition since their great loss at the last election.

Freedom of speech is not the 'It' thing too. Not only we aren't allowed to have freedom of speech with anything against the government, we don't practice it in our daily living with our parents, teachers or friends, stereotypically speaking of course. Why? Well, if the government encourages freedom of speech among the rakyat (citizens), then the rakyat will practice it among themselves. It all starts with the government.

But I've got to admit, the government learned from history. When Japan came to conquer us, they used propaganda, and that's what Mr. Najib is doing now with "1Malaysia". :dozey:

I could go on and on, but I'm afraid of ISA too. At least, for now. :rolleyes:

And by the way, we could write letters and send to Mr. Najib. There's some program going on about writing a letter to him.

BTW Mr. chuck kottke, your English is brilliant. :stunned:

Lyvie "shite. when i said : please reflect your thoughts about this country, well and through. and be a good leader by repairing our mistakes. it wouldn't hurt to try. :)

i meant it for the leader of Malaysia. :\"

Thanks - that is very flattering, but that's also a very tall order to fill, especially for someone who is not from Malaysia! Perhaps you need a local leader, who leads by example, from the will of the people?

---

i agree with Zeya and Pai.

For us here to do something against the government, it takes a lot of guts. The government always find ways in winning over the opposition since their great loss at the last election.

I can imagine that. Courage takes movements, and people rallying support who truly believe in, and have thought through, a better path forward.

Freedom of speech is not the 'It' thing too. Not only we aren't allowed to have freedom of speech with anything against the government, we don't practice it in our daily living with our parents, teachers or friends, stereotypically speaking of course. Why? Well, if the government encourages freedom of speech among the rakyat (citizens), then the rakyat will practice it among themselves. It all starts with the government.

You can say anything you want, just nothing that goes against the government, eh?;) Without a history of questioning and reasoning, gathering places for political dissidents, and a variety of role-models and view-points to choose from, I can see why it is hard for the citizens to begin the process of reasoning and change. But real change comes not from the top-down, but from the bottom-up usually - by the consent of the governed are governments supposed to govern; the other way around usually does not last. Maybe the citizens need a taste of real freedom, or some opportunity to find a way of communicating without real detection, and those thinkers to gradually bring more people in - for greater inclusion within a group of dissidents? Academics and technologists often provide excellent places to start - what about your universities? How Orwellian is Malaysia?

But I've got to admit, the government learned from history. When Japan came to conquer us, they used propaganda, and that's what Mr. Najib is doing now with "1Malaysia". :dozey:

Understood. Propaganda is effective, even here (unfortunately so!). But it seems that the longer things go on without some external or internal threat, the propaganda begins to become transparent, as reality gets clearer. What about other sources of news and general information?

I could go on and on, but I'm afraid of ISA too. At least, for now. :rolleyes:

;)

And by the way, we could write letters and send to Mr. Najib. There's some program going on about writing a letter to him.

;)

BTW Mr. chuck kottke, your English is brilliant. :stunned:

:laugh3:Thanks! Perhaps my American-English is sufficient for posting here, but hardly brilliant. But, thanks for the compliment!

Keep working on enlightening your fellow citizens in Malaysia Lyvie!;);)