✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Fine 'binge-drink idiots' who clog up NHS, says Jamie Oliver

mc_squared

Fine 'binge-drink idiots' who clog up NHS, says Jamie Oliver

By Katie Glass

Last updated at 11:24 PM on 8th April 2010

article-0-007AB70400000578-304_233x423.jpg

Jamie Oliver's online outburst sparked fierce debate on Twitter

Jamie Oliver has launched a stinging attack on binge drinkers, claiming they should be fined for clogging up the NHS.

In a rant on Twitter, the 34-year-old berated 'idiot weekend yobbo binge drinkers' for wasting resources that should be reserved for the genuinely ill.

The father-of-three went on to suggest that similar penalties could be applied to obese people who eat unhealthily.

He said: 'We must start fining these idiot weekend yobbo binge drinkers for their cost to the UK NHS, then spend the money on people that really need help.

'We can't afford fixing drunks. People in need have no choice; weekend drunks have a choice.'

His comments provoked a debate among his followers on the social networking website, many of whom disagreed with his stance.

One fan, who pointed out that the NHS worked precisely because it does not discriminate between patients, asked the chef if he thought obese patients should be similarly penalised.

To which Oliver replied that he certainly did. He said: 'Brother, now you are talking. For many it's an addiction and yes drunks can be as well, I know.

'So where is the line? Big debate - NHS won't last forever.'

More...

The discussion, which started on Tuesday afternoon, continued for an hour in heated exchanges between the celebrity chef and his fellow Twitterers.

But one user responded witheringly: 'People don't follow you for political comment mate.'

article-1264641-090E59D2000005DC-836_468x224.jpg

Oliver's Twitter page where he posted the controversial comments

Oliver, who is expecting his fourth child with wife Jools, explained that the outburst had been prompted by watching a BBC documentary on sick children.

A spokesman for Oliver told the Daily Mail: 'Jamie was watching the very emotional programme about Great Ormond Street Hospital on Tuesday night and became annoyed that so much money has to be diverted by the NHS to treat people who binge drink.

'The NHS spends £3billion a year treating alcohol-related sickness according to a recent Oxford University study.

'Jamie isn't against people drinking alcohol sensibly but he's angered by the increase in binge drinking and its cost to the taxpayer.'

It is not the first time he has been moved by issues affecting children.

He was recently reduced to tears by a U.S. radio host who dismissed his efforts to make American children healthy as part of his TV series, Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution.

I'm actually watching Jamie Oliver's TV show here in the states right this minute. He is critical of people who make bad health choices, but I think it's a good thing. Most people are too polite to say this stuff out loud.

I'm actually watching Jamie Oliver's TV show here in the states right this minute. He is critical of people who make bad health choices, but I think it's a good thing. Most people are too polite to say this stuff out loud.

Exactly.;)

While I think bad health choices are a bad thing too, I just don't like the guy.

Nah, just hike the tax up on booze (again) ;)

If the NHS start charging for treatment of drunks what else would they start charging for and it will soon be sleep-walking into a payment for everything type system where only the rich can afford health insurance etc