✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay Named Top Songwriters At Ascap Awards | Viva la Vida 'Song of the Year' (13-Oct-2010)

MartinFan

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere is so please merge or delete:cool:

Coldplay Named Top Songwriters At Ascap Awards

COLDPLAY's songwriting skills landed them the top honours at the 30th annual ASCAP Awards in London on Wednesday (13Oct10).

Bandmates Chris Martin, Will Champion, Jonny Buckland and Guy Berryman were named the Songwriters of the Year at the ceremony, while their Viva La Vida hit won them the Song of the Year award.

Other big winners included Taio Cruz, who picked up the ASCAP Vanguard Award for his record Departure, and chart-topping Brits Scouting For Girls won the ASCAP College Award for Everybody Wants to Be on TV.

Another 20 song awards were also handed out during the event to honour songwriters - Sir Paul MCCartney's Come Together, U2's I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For and Phil Collins' track In The Air Tonight were among the tracks recognised.

Hey Nancy, In the Chris thread Chris and the Band made a vid from the studio and said

Coldplay frontman Chris Martin got big laughs explaining the band's absence with the line: "We're in the studio, trying not to be too shit."

He's too funny!!:D

oh, that's great! :nice: I'd like to see the video.

I have a question though. Why are they giving them the award now if the song (and the album) were released in 2008? :thinking:

Anyways, congrats to the boys, they deserve it! :thumbsup:

Here's the article.

ASCAP Honors Coldplay, Taio Cruz | Billboard

October 13, 2010 - Global | Publishing

By Andre Paine, London

The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) honored Coldplay with two awards at its 2010 London ceremony Wednesday night (Oct. 13) at the Grosvenor House Hotel.

Guy Berryman, Jonny Buckland, Will Champion and Chris Martin from Coldplay were named ASCAP's songwriters of the year at the London event. They also won song of the year for "Viva La Vida." The band, published by Universal Music Publishing Group, is working on a new album and sent a video message from the studio.

Coldplay frontman Chris Martin got big laughs explaining the band's absence with the line: "We're in the studio, trying not to be too ****."

The ceremony honored songwriter, composer and publisher members of the U.K.'s PRS for Music whose repertory is licensed by ASCAP and was among its most performed works in the U.S. during 2009.

ASCAP senior VP, international Roger Greenaway and VP, membership Seán Devine hosted the gala dinner and awards presentation.

Universal Music Publishing was named publisher of the year by the U.S. performing right organization for its most-performed winning songs, including "Pour Some Sugar on Me" written by Def Leppard with Mutt Lange, "Sweet Dreams" by Eurythmics and "Viva La Vida." There was also recognition for Mr Hudson's contribution to Kanye West's "Heartless." Paul Connolly, president of Europe and U.K. for Universal Music Publishing, collected the award.

U.K. R&B artist Taio Cruz (EMI Music Publishing) was honored with ASCAP's vanguard award in recognition of his debut album, "Departure." Previous British vanguard honorees include Kate Nash and Calvin Harris.

Members of British pop band Scouting for Girls (EMI Music Publishing) collected ASCAP's college award for their second album, "Everybody Wants To Be On TV." Previous winners include the Ting Tings, the Kooks, the View, Keane, Franz Ferdinand, Chemical Brothers, Belle & Sebastian and Radiohead.

Scouting for Girls frontman Roy Stride declared the night "an inspirational evening."

Imogen Heap won a song award for "Whatcha Say," published by Imagem. She played live at the ceremony, despite only arriving at the awards as they called her name from the stage.

"I just ran through the door," she explained, "I've been at an orchestral rehearsal."

She treated the crowd to a piano version of "Wait It Out" from her latest album "Ellipse" -- once she'd sorted out a few technical problems.

"Do you like that first verse?" she quipped. "Because you're going to get to hear it twice."

Greenaway also played, performing songs from his extensive back catalog including "Melting Pot" and "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing."

Jessie J (Sony/ATV) won for the Miley Cyrus hit "Party in the USA," Wayne Hector (Sony/ATV) was recognized for writing the Pussycat Dolls' "I Hate This Part," and Francis Maudsley of Flock of Seagulls (Imagem) picked up an ASCAP award for their song "I Ran (So Far Away)."

Al "Shux" Shuckburgh (Global Talent Publishing) collected an ASCAP song award for co-writing the Jay-Z hit "Empire State of Mind," which reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. And Peter Burns and Stephen Coy of Dead or Alive won for their contribution to "Right Round" (Warner/Chappell and Westbury Music), which was a worldwide hit for Flo Rida. The song contains a sample of the 1984 Dead or Alive single "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)."

A total of 20 Song Awards were presented. For a complete list of winners, go to http://www.ascap.com.

COLDPLAY's songwriting skills landed them the top honours at the 30th annual ASCAP Awards in London on Wednesday (13Oct10).

Bandmates Chris Martin, Will Champion, Jonny Buckland and Guy Berryman were named the Songwriters of the Year at the ceremony, while their Viva La Vida hit won them the Song of the Year award.

Other big winners included Taio Cruz, who picked up the ASCAP Vanguard Award for his record Departure, and chart-topping Brits Scouting For Girls won the ASCAP College Award for Everybody Wants to Be on TV.

Another 20 song awards were also handed out during the event to honour songwriters - Sir Paul MCCartney's Come Together, U2's I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For and Phil Collins' track In The Air Tonight were among the tracks recognised.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/coldplay-named-top-songwriters-at-ascap-awards_1172551

Hey Nancy, In the Chris thread Chris and the Band made a vid from the studio and said

Coldplay frontman Chris Martin got big laughs explaining the band's absence with the line: "We're in the studio, trying not to be too shit."

Why am I just now finding out there's a "Chris thread"?? I'm sorry, but this website is so confusing to me, and I AM computer literate!! :confused:

Yes, he's funny, but it's the truth!