✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

12 Coldplay Months of 2010: DECEMBER (1 Christmas Lights video)

Long Live Life

December proved to be arguably the busiest month of 2010 for Coldplay and its fans with the release of a new single, Christmas Lights: the first since Strawberry Swing, back in September 2009; two live ‘secret’ gigs for the charity Crisis; a performance on the BBC’s Top of the Pops Christmas special; an Oscar nomination shortlist for Chris; and a New Years Eve gig in Las Vegas.

Chris & Jonny Give Radio Interviews:

1st December 2010

To launch the release of Christmas lights at 8pm, Chris and Jonny gave interviews with BBC radio 1 and XFM. From the Radio 1 interview:

_50254868_newcoldplay.jpg

Coldplay have said there were "bad vibes" within the band as they concluded their 2009 Viva La Vida world tour.

Speaking to Radio 1's Zane Lowe lead singer Chris Martin said: "When we came back from America last time we had some bad stuff happening in our group."

He went on to add that the band are currently working on songs for their as yet untitled fifth album in 2011.

"We're going for it. We regard this as our last big shot," he said.

"We had a lot of songs and we cut a lot of songs. It's quite brutal - especially if you're the person which brings the songs. Now we're close to what the album might be."

Chris Martin and guitarist Johnny Buckland were speaking as they released new single Christmas Lights on iTunes (1 December).

Talking about the song Martin said: "We had to pluck up a lot of courage but the problem is that we really like it so that's why we had to put it out.

"Not to be arrogant - it's not our worst song."

Chris Martin joked that the song was the "end of our career".

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Christmas Lights gets its Worldwide Release to Positive Reviews:

2nd December 2010

-1.gif

Digesting the reviews from the release of Christmas Lights the following day:

The Telegraph were the first media source to review the new single. They positively wrote: "But the big one is surely Coldplay’s much anticipated return with “Christmas Lights” (which will be released on iTunes today at 8pm). If anyone can craft an old fashioned Christmas anthem, it’s Chris Martin, and he is taking no prisoners. Like The Killers offering, the mood is caught between doubt and reverie, but when the chorus gets going it brings to mind the ageless folkiness of Paul McCartney’s Mull Of Kintyre. “May all your troubles soon be gone,” sings Martin, to ringing pianos and swooning strings...

“Oh Christmas lights, keep shining on.” It may be formulaic and sentimental, but it has a real warmth and spirit to it, a kind of log fire singalong quality that makes it first real contender for Christmas classic status that I have heard in many years. It is, in keeping with the spirit of the age, a strictly non secular Christmas record. The band perform in a theatre, beneath the Latin inscription, Credo Elvem Etiam Vivere… which translates as I Believe Elvis Lives.

The American Songwriter website wrote: While a recent study shows that the least amount of breakups occur on Christmas, a December 25 split is the subject of Coldplay’s new holiday song. “Christmas Lights” follows a freshly-single narrator remembering the reason for the season by going to Oxford Street, London’s largest shopping district. Spoiler alert: there is no solace to be found in shop windows, because “when you’re still waiting for the snow to fall, it doesn’t really feel like Christmas at all.”

The video features the band performing in front of a vaguely Méliès/Smashing Pumpkins/The Mighty Boosh-like backdrop of the moon. Violin-playing Elvis impersonators sashay across a velvet-curtained stage, and the morose lyrics are counterbalanced by large quantities of confetti, balloons, and pyrotechnics. Considering that Martin sings “Got all kinds of poison in my blood,” we can only hope that Santa doesn’t bring young Apple and Moses any toys with lead-based paints.

coldplay-christmas-lights-video-preview-02.jpg

Meanwhile, Just Jared, the website that was one of the first to capture photos of Coldplay recording the video and also the people on the Erasmus boat, said: "We adore everything about this video — from the colorful piano to the the “waves” and the balloons to fireworks! 'Still waiting for the snow to fall,” Chris Martin croons. “It doesn’t really feel like Christmas at all.'"

Coldplay and Nokia Help Raise Money for Crisis with Secret Gigs

3rd December 2010

Nokia offered fans the opportunity to win tickets to see Coldplay live in Liverpool on 19th December, and Newcastle on 20th December, by raising money for homeless charity Crisis:

Nokia and Crisis are challenging you this Christmas to rally your friends and family to raise money for Crisis, the national charity for single homeless people and in return, Nokia will award the top 12 fundraisers with a pair of tickets to see Coldplay at one of the sold out Crisis Hidden Gigs in either Liverpool on the 19th December or Newcastle on the 20th December. All proceeds raised will go to Crisis.

You have 11 days from Friday, 3rd December 2010 to raise as much money as you can for Crisis through the Virgin Money Giving event page and work your Christmas socks off to get into the top 12 fundraisers by the closing date on Monday, 13th December.

Coldplay Perform Christmas Lights on Top of the Pops, BBC Studios, London

8th December 2010

20101208totp6.jpg

Coldplay topped the bill for this year's Christmas Top Of The Pops with a one-off performance of their festive single, Christmas Lights, which was broadcast on BBC One on Christmas Day.

The BBC audience included Coldplayers from the forum who were lucky enough not only to get tickets but to listen to Coldplay performing Christmas Lights four times. Here are some of their reviews...

They were great! Chris gave someone (from here I think) a flower and someone else got a plectrum from Mr Buckland. It was brilliant to see the boys so close and Chris was just chatting with the crowd and stuff. Chris sang live but the rest of the boys mimed. It was a great day tho and a brilliant experience! I forgot to mention there were snow cannons and some of the stuff from the video (piano' date=' gramophone, etc.). They also wore the clothes from the video and Chris introduced Phil saying something like "this is Phil, he's in charge of our band. He's the fifth member of Coldplay" (Phil was one of the Elvis's). [/quote']

Just got back home from my afternoon at the BBC. Its well worth it' date=' had a good chat to Phil before he got up on stage as on eof the violin playing Elvis's. I had the three Elvis's infront of me!!! As the band came of stage I shook hands with Chris and Johny!! Overall it was a good day. Plus we got to hear Christmas Lights live 4 times. Chris seemed in good spirits this afternoon!!Cracked a few jokes with us all! Im looking forward to Liverpool after todays little performance! The queue was over 300 people, some got turned away apparantly, but I thinks everyone from the forum managed to get in. [/quote']

This was a really good experience - much better than the night on the Thames for me. I really enjoyed being able to see the band up and close (a first time for me)' date=' and they also seemed in very good spirits. It was a lot of fun. Chris continued to make me feel he could moonlight as a stand-up comedian. What he told everyone about the boat cruise was hilarious - something to the effect of, "lots of drugs. just a massive orgy. some of the spice girls showed up as well". I nearly died laughing. Everyone else in the band looked good. Jonny and Will seemed in good spirits. Guy seemed like himself - haha. I'm so glad I was able to make it (or rather chose to miss lecture to make it...). [/quote']

20101208totp31.jpg

Had such a great day after such an early start. We left home at 6:30 and got to the BBC at 8:15' date=' no idea why we got there so early but we were fortunate to be first in the queue (numbers 1 and 2). Which mean't we were first into the studio and we got a spot right at the front; directly infront of Chris. We had our Christmas Lights Glowing and our Sparkly Trees on our heads; When the band came on stage everyone went crazy; Chris asked if anyone was in the video - I spoke up and said I was he then said it was good fun with lots of drugs and some of the spice girls, they then began to sing the song...but OMG he was right in front of me, less than 2 feet away. I have been fortunate to meet him in person before; but nothing can beat being that close to him and watching him perform, just mesmerising. Had a total awesome fangirl moment, Chris asked me if his collar on his shirt was straight; I said its a little up, he then bent down and asked me to straighten it for him, which I gladly did. Had so much fun being right there; singing away and dancing to the song; but i'm dreading seeing myself on camera on Christmas Day. I got a little annoyed when people kept asking for things; especially Will's drum sticks even before they began to shot the performance, I felt like saying "well how is he mean't to play the drums without them." I just don't get people, we got to see them upclose for free, what more could people possible need other than that....or is that just me?? [/quote']

That was a really great day!! I got there at about 9.30am, ended up being no. 34 in the queue. Met Phil and Laura and we froze for those few hours!! Met Chelsea and Daniel too....After a bit of an extended wait and a lady who had to contend with a load of overexcited Coldplay fans, we were let loose on the route towards the studio. I havn't been inside the BBC buildings before and it was really great to see everything. I was so happy to make it to the front row where me, Laura and Phil ended up on the Guy's side. Everyone was in a good mood and I really enjoyed the atmosphere! The stage was nicely decorated, although I was surprised to discover that the 'snow' was made of pieces of old newspaper hahaha!! When Coldplay arrived, there was an awesome atmosphere because they were so very very close! All the guys seemed to be in a good mood and bantering with the crowd. I think I got a smile from Will at one point when he was looking in my direction and I smiled at him....but who knows, he could have been smiling at someone behind me. Me and Phil had to make way several times for Fearne and Reggie.... that was interesting. and yeah, that was Phil passing Jonny the group photograph that he'd had printed out! Glad that Jonny took it. Had a great time! (hello to any Coldplayers that were there!!)

i got there at 9:30 and was number 27!! best day of my life. chris came right in front of me and stared at me for a few seconds . best moment of my life. Also at the end i put my hand out to jonny and he smiled and shook my hand!!!!! wont ever get an experience like that ever again!

20101208totp21.jpg

Today was completely flawless. I wasn't expecting it to be as amazing as it was' date=' to be honest, even though I was expecting to have a good time. But wow, I just had such a great day overall. I'll type up a review and post it soon, I literally just got back in the door of my house. But God, these four guys and that music makes me so indescribably happy. [/quote']

Oh my GOD' date=' what a FANTASTIC DAY. I'll post a full review to my LiveJournal later, because if I do it here I'll just harp on for ages, but suffice to say that it was so much better than I could ever have expected it to be. It had such a cozy, intimate feeling, almost like a house concert or something. Chris' voice sounded amazing, I thought, and they all just looked really happy. It was great to watch, especially from a foot away from the stage. My mad flailing/fairy lights elicited a smile out of Jonny and--dare I say it--what might even have been a smirk out of Guy?! And I got a handshake from Chris! *faints* But the other thing I -loved- was the feeling of community...I met some of the other Coldplayers, you are all lovely, by the way. It was like some massive, dysfunctional family gathering. Well, that's what it felt like to me anyway. xD It was just lovely. I have warm fuzzies all over. [/quote']

Coldplay Look to Outsiders for Inspiration

13th December 2010

We got our first glimpse as to the shape LP5 might take, from this interview with Chris at the BBC:

_50382081_coldplay464_getty.jpg

It has taken Coldplay four albums and 10 years to get around to it, but the band have confirmed they are finally on the verge of releasing their "concept" album.

The as-yet-untitled record is being produced by Brian Eno and Marcus Dravs - the same team behind the band's last album Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends.

"It's from the point of view of two people who are a bit lost," says frontman Chris Martin.

"Two like-minded outsiders who meet in a very difficult environment and therefore have a journey together."

Viva La Vida was seen by critics as a return to form after a more muted response for their previous effort - the equally commercially successful X&Y.

While Viva La Vida explored grander sweeping themes of love and war, Martin said the new album will be more intimate by comparison.

"It's a concept album but it's supposed to be very personal within a big framework. Does that make sense?"

Much of Viva La Vida's musical experimentation came from producer Brian Eno, who began his career with Roxy Music and has produced artists including David Bowie and Talking Head's David Byrne.

"Brian is the sower of seeds and ideas and experimenting, which is very liberating. Then Marcus's job is to come in after all that's been done and try and sculpt it into some kind of releasable format.

"They're like a tag team," says Martin.

The chaotic recording sessions left them with a lot of half-formed and half-completed tracks, he adds.

"We spent a year making a lot of noise. You know those things in a fairground where you have bran in a tub and in there are some hidden prizes? That's sort of where we are at," says Martin.

"Like a lucky dip?," clarifies his bandmate, guitarist Jonny Buckland.

"Yeah, a lucky dip," Martin agrees.

While the music remains a collaborative effort between musicians and producers, the songwriting is still very much up to Martin.

The singer admits bassist Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion can be brutal in their assessment of his new lyrics.

"Jonny's delightful, he's the easiest to convince," he smiles. "It's when you have to take a verse to Guy or Will that things become very tearful.

"I think Guy isn't too savage with your lyrics, it's Will really," adds Buckland. "He's savage."

Yet internal squabbles over lyrics aside, Martin insists he is grateful for such candour.

"I'm so lucky that we have that group, in as much as there are a lot of people who don't like us in the world, but there would be a lot more without this filtering system.

"Think of the rubbish that doesn't get out, if you don't like the stuff that does."

Later this month, Coldplay will play two sold-out gigs for UK homeless charity Crisis - a cause long-supported by the band.

"I think it will be good for us to get our gig feet on for a couple of days because sometimes you can get very institutionalised in the studio," says Martin.

"There's a danger that you forget that you're going to have to play this for people and that's when music can become a little bit silly."

Buckland agrees that the months the four-piece have spent in the studio have taken their toll: "You can forget that there are other people in the world, you can become so focused on the small group that's around you.

"It's very much like I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here in our studio," says Martin. "A lot of difficult tasks and people that you find it hard to get along with, i.e. me."

Martin and Buckland say they don't have a definite date for release of the new album but add dryly that it will be "some time in the future".

Rather too self-deprecatingly given their past chart success, Martin suggests that he would like to avoid a potential battle with another big UK band.

"Preferably not the same week Take That are doing anything.

"Nowadays, if Gary says he might be possibly playing piano on a certain day, we just say, 'Ok we'll go and work in Germany that day, there's no point in us being here.'"

Chris & Will confirm New Year’s Eve Coldplay/ Jay-Z Concert in Las Vegas

17th December, 2010

20100913hires6.jpg

Coldplay have now confirmed the concert together with Jay-Z on New Year's Eve, at the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas resort to see in 2011 we can reveal. Chris Martin and Will Champion confirmed the show during the interview with Radio 1's Fearne Cotton in the Live Lounge earlier today.

The event is being organised by celebrity party planner Colin Cowie and will be invite only with no tickets being put on general sale to the public. Guests will be treated to separate sets from Coldplay and Jay-Z before the two acts take to the stage together. Beyonce Knowles is also said to be planning to perform in Las Vegas on the same night so she can be with her husband to celebrate the landmark date.

Chris Martin shortlisted for Oscars' Best Songs for "Me and Tennessee"

18th December, 2010

20101217lou7.jpg

Coldplay singer Chris Martin is nominated in the Best Song category for next year's Oscars. Chris wrote the track 'Me And Tennessee' which has been nominated for one of the prestigious film industry awards after it was used in his wife, Gwyneth Paltrow's movie 'Country Strong', about an alcoholic country singer trying to stage a comeback.

The track is one of 41 long listed in the Oscars category, which will be whittled down to five when the full nominations are announced in January. Other pop artists nominated for Best Song include Janet Jackson and Alanis Morissette. Coldplay are presently in the studio working on the fifth album, and while 'Me And Tennessee' was written on his own, Chris said he likes the brutal honesty his other band members - guitarist Johnny Buckland, bassist Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion - show when he presents them with his lyrics.

During his interview during the BBC Radio 1 Live Lounge on 17th December, Chris said: "Jonny's delightful, he's the easiest to convince. It's when you have to take a verse to Guy or Will that things become very tearful. You can forget there are other people in the world. I'm so lucky that we have that group, in as much as there are a lot of people who don't like us in the world, but there would be a lot more without this filtering system. Think of the rubbish that doesn't get out, if you don't like the stuff that does."

Crisis gig – Royal Court Theatre, Liverpool

19th December, 2010

20101219fil12.jpg

Coldplay played Liverpool in the first of two intimate 'hidden gigs' that they are performing over Christmas to raise money for homeless charity Crisis and highlight the plight of homeless people especially at Christmas

No new songs were played (except for Christmas Lights) - you can see the setlist below. Gary Barlow (Take That) and Peter Kay joined Coldplay on the stage for a rendition of Back For Good:

20101219fil1.jpg

So I got there initially at 10am, some of the Italian guys were there axe, etc. But it seemed quiet so I went shopping for a bit (well attempted to....since when do shops not open until 11 on a Sunday?!) anyway trusty Primarni was open so I was able to get a blanket and some extra socks. I was browsing Twitter in the queue in Primarni and saw that Chelsea (who had been umming and ahhhing about attending the Newcastle gig since her flight home got cancelled due to the snow) had mentioned that there were 200 extra ticketsgoing on sale at both venues but you had to go there in person to get them, so I offered to get her one and at first she was like "noooo way, is too short notice" then it was "oh let me just look at the train prices" and then "omg they're cheap let me just look at hotels"...Whilst this was going on I had wandered back towards the queue where Craig, Roos and Wisna had joined. Craig was meant to be buying my seated tickets from me but had a standing ticket and just needed another - it turns out I knew someone with a standing ticket so my two seated tickets became available, I immediately told Chelsea who very excited decided she was going to come...

So anyway we stood around chatting for a while, more people joined us Als, Anna it was unbearably cold, we were all taking it in turns to get inside for a while. It seems to really drag in the afternoon, it was so cold and I think we were all trying to over compensate for the fact that we were miserable. It was in fact just as Alison went inside for coffees that the boys turned up at the venue.

Jonny was first, he had a big smile as he went in, everyone else stuck their hand out, which he shook, but I was too shy and didn't Was annoyed with myself afterwards. Next was Will with one of his daughters and his wife, he just walked in quickly with a smile since he was with family. Then it was Phil he chatted a bit before going in (sorry I don't have any pictures of this - we all sort of ran over there and I was unprepared )

Once they were all in, we wandered back over to our queuing spot and sort of loitered for a bit hoping Chris would show up (we saw Vicki and Debs having a cigarette outside too) the others guys had arrived in big blacked out silver cars so it was obvious they were coming, but we looked over and suddenly there was a huge swarm of people around Chris who had seemingly appeared from nowhere! I think he must have walked. I only got a chance to take his picture before he went inside.

We made our way back to the queue and were talking about how few people were in the queue and how it was quite possibly the most pointless all day queue ever when what should happen? The secuirty guy on the door pops his head outside and tells us to all make our way into the foyer he had something tell us! We did, grateful to be out of the horrible cold, I must admit I had a sneaking suspicion it was going to be something good and I wasn't wrong! Chris had heard how long we had been queuing in the cold (did someone in our group tell him?) and had invited us to watch the soundcheck!!! I let out an almight squeee I must admit

So we all get AC/DC at Wembly wristband (because why wouldn't we?! ) and make our way in. Jonny and Guy are on stage noodling, Jonny sort of shyly waves at us and we all very enthusiasticly start waving back People are shouting out song requests to play that night, which he declines very politely...although when someone asks for High Speed Jonny starts playing the riff

Chris bounds on stage not long afterwards in an absolutely fantastic mood and immidiately comes over to chat to us Says hi, thanks us for waiting for so long and then he says "is anyone English?" those of us who are raise our hands and he asks "okay do you think we should play on the X Factor?" and I, at the very horror of that actually occuring, am like "NO!!!!" haha So he turns to me and ask why not. Now there are a million and one reasons why Coldplay should not play the X Factor but could I form a coheriant reason as to they shouldn't? No. And he's looking at me waiting for an answer! I babbed something about how Matt Cardle could actually have a career of worth if it wasn't for the X Factor and how instead he's going to be screwed by Cowell and how that's not what music is about. He seems to accept that as a good reason and says "yeah, yeah that's what a few people think", although argues that we all watch it to which I reply "yes because it's good Saturday night entertainment if you're not going out, not because we believe in it" he chats for a bit longer about the gig and stuff but as he turns to walk back on stage he thanks me for my advice

Although Alison says I didn't so much advise him as order him not to. So they run through a few songs, GoW was first if I'm not mistaken, Chris isn't really singing properly as he's saving his voice but it sounds good, afterwards he asks for his piano to be moved further back so Guy is more visible They also run through CoL, as Guy walks over to play Chris' piano at the start of it, he looks at the keys and laughs and says "they're all different colours I can't play this" and Chris agrees and says that they need to get rid of them before next year. They also perform half of VLV before Chris forgets the lyrics, he's asking Will what they are and running through the verse quickly and Will mimes a puppet on a string to him I think it was during VLV that Chris got out a pocket camera and filmed the band and then us! :cheesey:

The also attempted Christmas Lights, Chris kept messing up during the middle, he did it twice and Will was cracking up at him, in the end Chris had to look at Will who mock baby stepped him through it by counting him in with his drumsticks in a exagerated fashion

Oh also Will's daughter was there, she must have loved Christmas Lights cos she was dancing around for all of it And Chris sang her a song and was waving at her.

After about 45 minutes they decided they needed to get into the soundcheck properly so we were to leave, Chris (and Phil) came to talk to us again People were asking him things I think someone mentioned Life is for Living which Phil said they'd have to bring back next year He was saying goodbye to us all and said "I'm sure I'll see you in the exact same position later" and touched my arm!! I am ashamed to admit I died a little!

20101219ski2.jpg

Crisis Gig – Tyne Theatre, Newcastle

20th December, 2010

20101220cal1.jpg

Coldplay played in Newcastle for the second of two intimate 'hidden gigs' that they are performing over Christmas to raise money for homeless charity Crisis and highlight the plight of homeless people especially at Christmas. No new songs were played (except for Christmas Lights again) - you can see the setlist below. Coldplay added Lovers In Japan to the setlist and removed the previous night's Back For Good (since Gary Barlow wasn't there).

Setlist

Yellow

Lost!

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

Cemeteries of London

Trouble

Glass Of Water

Til Kingdom Come

Shiver

In My Place

Lovers In Japan

Death And All His Friends

Clocks

Viva La Vida

Fix You

------------

Politik

The Scientist

Christmas Lights

20101220cal3.jpg

It started (these things always start with 'it started...' or 'it was a cold october morning...) when I received my ticket from the box office at the MetroRadio Arena. Naturally like most others I figured having bought the ticket from the general allocation that I would be up in the rafters or at least in the upper tier; but for some reason unbeknownst to me, my coldplay karma was about to strike. I tore open the envelope that the ticket had been handed to me in and quickly read where I was.... 'Stalls, Row A, Seat 10' and perhaps out of a lack of expectation I thought 'oh, so in the upper circle, not too shabby and at least I'm in the front row of THAT' but it wasn't until Natascha kindly sent on a link of the floorchart that I realised that the stalls were infact the grounded seating area, and I was in row A, I.WAS.IN.ROW.A' - well, this was brilliant!! off I set to the Theatre itself...

A few of us stood around exchanging pleasantries and generally chatting about Coldplay, there were people who had travelled from Italy, Florence & Sicily to be precise (ps. Girl in red coat from Florence... call me! /sleaze/hadacrushonher/shedoesntposthereitsokay). So while this was going on, there wasn't a lot of movement band-wise, though we did manage to spot the mole-like-in-aapearance-Miller and caught up with him to say hey, he seemed in a rush so a quick greeting was only apt, still though, you could feel that there was Coldplaying Karma in the air (though I doubt you could cut through it with a knife.... some floss maybe? no...). The Coldplaying Karma was about to kick in anyyyyyy minuuuuuuteeeeeeeeeee......now! - I walked to the stage door to get a glance inside past the security guard and weirdly I see a man that I recognise running frantically down the coridoor... I raise my arm and point at him as if to say 'I KNOW YOU!' - and Phil Harvey peeks his head out of the door. We shake hands and talk about how we met on the Christmas Lights set, then he bursts out 'Has Will came out here? I've lost him and I need to find him immediately!' - to which I was a little taken a-back... 'No, he hasn't been out' I said, before adding 'Miller came out before though', Phil looked puzzled then smiled and said, 'I need to find Will, if he comes out let him know I'm looking for him!' and he darted off. Anyyywhooo, after about 30minutes of nothingness, my feet being numb and chatting to two lovely guys who it transpired were still at my old school (turns out my old form tutor Ms. Garside is now a whore and has two kids to the science teacher Mr. Craggs, you can't write this shit...) we saw a burly african security guard making his way from the room in front of us (inside the building) and behind him being led out toward us was a sheepish Jonny Buckland. SHIT! HOLY SHIT! I was probably thinking as I dashed to the entrance and was the first to greet him! 'Jonny! pleasure to meet you!' I said, extending my hand to vigorously shake his, surprisingly not pulling it off. He said hello very politely and nodded as he said 'of course, absolutely' to me asking if I could have a photo with him, I fumbled around to pass my phone to a lovely poster here from South korea (I don't know her name, sorry, but she was on the boat too! and recognised me as the winner of the signed mince spies... ha) and she took an excellent photo of me and the man himself! photo in the doobly-doo down below..

Coldplay’s December gigs raise £250,000 for charity

22nd December, 2010

20101219ful3.jpg

Ticket sales for Coldplays December charity gigs during December raised nearly £250,000 for the homelessness charity Crisis, it has been announced today. Coldplay played two Crisis Hidden Gigs earlier this week on December 19 and 20 and tickets for the concerts in Liverpool and Newcastle sold out within eight minutes.

Coldplay agreed to play their only live British performances of 2010 in aid of Crisis, as a step to raising awareness of the situation facing thousands of homeless people hidden out of sight on floors or sofas, in substandard bed and breakfasts, and hostels. Leslie Morphy, Chief Executive of Crisis, said: "The incredible £238,645 raised by Coldplay fans will help us to support the thousands of hidden homeless people, who are all too often forgotten, especially at Christmas which can be a particularly lonely and isolating time."

The Coldplay hidden gigs took place on December 19 and 20 respectively. The band’s appearances at Liverpool’s Royal Court Theatre and The Journal Tyne Arena in Newcastle, included special guest appearances from Peter Kay, Gary Barlow and Ant and Dec. The gigs also featured Coldplay’s first live performance of their Christmas single, Christmas Lights.

Chris Martin snubs aftershow party to dine with homeless choir

23rd December 2010

The following story indicates why I love the band – they have always been genuine in helping good causes, and did so before they became famous. Much of the negative press about Chris and the band regarding his charity work is without any basis – anyone who knows him always say how much he cares deeply for others and how un-starry he is. This story illustrates it perfectly:

Chris Martin snubbed an after-show party following a Coldplay charity gig on Monday night, instead choosing to dine with a group of homeless singers, it has been revealed. The band played the show at the Royal Court Theatre in Liverpool last Sunday to raise awareness of men and women living on the streets in Britain.

They performed with a choir made up of the homeless - and Chris chose to eat with them after the concert rather than attend the official after-show meal. A source tells Britain's Daily Star, "Chris had a load of homeless people singing in a choir for his gig and he thought they were so amazing he wanted to hang out with them after. He went backstage, snubbed his celeb dinner and ordered 12 giant pizzas and 25 bags of chips for them all to eat. His security were desperately trying to get him to leave and go back to his dressing room, but he was having none of it."

I’ll finish the review of December not with my own words but with those of someone I met on the boat trip for the filming of the Christmas Lights video. As with all Coldplay’s music, I’ve met some really great people at their gigs and Coldplay related events. The boat trip was no exception.

This post is not only my vote for post of the year, but sums up the true spirit of Christmas, and also why I love the band Coldplay: (it is in response to the following quote from Luke Lewis from NME) “"Christmasiness" is a precious and evanescent thing.

People spend the whole of December stumbling round in a mulled wine-blurred trance, saying to each other: "Do you feel Christmassy yet?" "I don't know, do you?"

What Christmassiness most definitely isn't, is a commodity that can be hammered into the ground for weeks on end. It's a fleeting thing, to be savoured for a few days, max. Preferably when you've finished work/uni/school and you're back home, sprawled on the sofa, watching Scrooged.

Any earlier than December 20 and you're ruining it.”

I believe that Christmas time is more special than just getting hammered and experiencing a slight flight of 'Christmassiness'. I CERTAINLY think it can last more than a few days. Perhaps this guy's confused between Christmas Spirit and the alcoholic kind of spirits.

Here's the crux of the matter: I think that there is a spirit of goodwill, that thing inside you that comes alive at Christmas time, that says,'Yeah. Life's good.' But it's not necessarily just for Christmas. Not at all.

We sing every year 'I wish it could be Christmas every day', but if Christmas is captured by that good, positive feeling about yourself and towards other people, then I honestly think it can. The only reason it's become a 'rare and precious thing' is because people don't believe that anymore. Or maybe no-one ever did.

I'm not for a moment suggesting we keep the tree up and give each other presents every day - that is what Christmas has become on the commercial side. And it is hard to see through that, to what Christmas is really about (Articles like this don't help). But in embracing that feeling of goodwill to EVERYONE - even a Scrooge at NME - I believe we can make every day feel like Christmas.

So yeah. I'm excited about Christmas now, cheers. I won't wait until December 20th. And I'll try my best to be as excited as I am about Christmas day coming towards every day of my life. It won't be easy, but I'll try.

Happy New Year everyone!

coldplay.png