✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Brahms or Wagner?

hotdensestate

I hate Brahms just because of this one Waltz he wrote that I had to learn on violin which was really repetitive and boring and difficult to memorize.

I like Wagner though, because of that opera he wrote which inspired the Star Wars score :awesome:

So yeah, going with Wagner.

I hate Brahms just because of this one Waltz he wrote that I had to learn on violin which was really repetitive and boring and difficult to memorize.

I like Wagner though, because of that opera he wrote which inspired the Star Wars score :awesome:

So yeah, going with Wagner.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GjzHlev00c&feature=feedlik]YouTube - Brahms symphony no.3 in F - Movement 1[/ame]? :sad:

YouTube - Brahms symphony no.3 in F - Movement 1[/url]? :sad:

I'm not super familiar with his work tbh and I'm sure most of the music he composed is amazing, I just have bad memories of trying to learn that stupid waltz :disappointed:

This one you posted sounds very pretty though :nice:

Yae! :blush:

I'm obviously not sure which waltz you mean but I'm surprised you thought it was actively bad, he was really self-critical and burned most of his compositions rather than let something he considered sub-standard be published. Course what he thought is above-standard doesn't necessarily click with individual tastes, especially not those today. Boring I can understand though.

It was this one:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJcoaIeH3GI&feature=related]YouTube - Johannes Brahms- Waltz[/ame]

I was only seven or eight when I was learning it though so I didn't really appreciate it then. And I didn't think it was bad, it was just hard to memorize because it's so repetitive throughout that I had a hard time remembering where it ended and I would get lost. And it was really boring to play.

haha I know... I was trying to sort of make a joke that liking Wagner would mean you're racist... I guess it didn't work :lol:

sort of like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PoPZF82FX8

The minute I saw someone posted a video I hoped it was that one :lol: I saw this documentary on Wagner on Swedish TV and they showed it with the ending.

In terms of music, Wagner. I like Brahms, but because he was (more or less) the classicist of the Romantic period, his music sometimes is a litte too structured for me. Wagner is in-your-face kind of stuff, and I love that.

In terms of personality, Brahms. Wagner was quite possibly one of the most disgusting people to ever walk the earth.

Guest howyousawtheworld
In terms of music, Wagner. I like Brahms, but because he was (more or less) the classicist of the Romantic period, his music sometimes is a litte too structured for me. Wagner is in-your-face kind of stuff, and I love that.

In terms of personality, Brahms. Wagner was quite possibly one of the most disgusting people to ever walk the earth.

THIS! Although his racist utterings were more than common in Germany in the 19th century. Totally flawed genius. I remember our music teacher playing Ride of the Valkyries when I was 8 or something.

I learned a lot about him last semester in one of my classes (Music History 2). My professor mentioned before she started on the topic that she didn't like talking about him because she thought he was just awful. By the end of the section, I understood why.

Yes, he was anti-semitic, but he was a lot of other things, too. He was a genius, and he knew it. He thought everyone was inferior to him because of this. He was an arrogant jerk. He also had a relationship with Liszt's daughter, who was 24 years younger than him, and had an affair with one of his friend's wives. He's just...UGH.

Yeah, I know. That doesn't make it any less questionable, though. Liszt himself told his daughter to stay away from him, and he was Wagner's friend. I mean, she cheated on her husband to be with him. (Not that Liszt could say anything about that, considering his daughter was a result of an affair he himself commited, but that's not the point...)

To show how messed up that was, Hans von Bulow, Cosima's husband, was chosen to conduct the world premiere of "Tristan and Isolde," which is a story of forbidden love...and less than a year before this, Cosima had given birth to Wagner's baby.