✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Dear fellows, I wanted to create an own thread for all those who love the earlier Coldplay stuff more than their newer stuff. A thread in which we can appreciate the pureness and beauty of their early releases, discuss them, discuss the band and how they used to be, post early live or studio stuff for each other to hear or watch and just indulge in that unique early Coldplay atmosphere which many of us miss so much. In short, this place is for getting a little bit nostalgic !

I'd roughly say the timeframe discussed here is 1998 till 2008, so it includes VLVODAAHF which is not really Oldplay to me, but I know for many of us Oldplayers it was the last record we really loved, so I thought let's include it.

Here's to Safety, Bigger Stronger, The Blue Room, Parachutes, A Rush Of Blood To The Head, X&Y and Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends! Also, here's to the much-beloved brilliant B-sides of those Eras ! :parachutes: :arobtth: :x&y: :viva:

To kick it off, here is the alternative version of Brothers and Sisters from the Trouble record, enjoy !

Oh good, I hoped that VLVODAAHF would be considered Oldplay in this thread, so count me in! :viva: I don't despise MX and GS (in fact I enjoy them) but they didn't quite reach the standard set by the previous material. I think of it like this: I like Newplay but I love Oldplay more. Oddly enough, even though I became a fan during the MX era, X&Y is what made me a fan.

By the way that version of Brothers and Sisters is beautiful, I forgot that the b-side version is different.

• Like 2

The B&S Trouble version is something too good to be true.

Imho, Oldplay part finish with Christmas Lights and Newplay starts with ETIAW. We can say: Oldplay 1998-2010

As I said in the x&y elimination game, around 2005 they were at their best imho, and when I think about a live performance of that time the first one I remember is Live8 duet with Richard Ashcroft

From that Era i love the Glastonbury 2005 festival a lot. First, you can sense how much they love Glastonbury, it's the most important festival to them. Second, the set was amazing ! They played a lot of X&Y songs there which they hardly ever played again.

And then the end with the lights and the dark sky and Fix You...it's magic.

Too bad there are only low definition and cut recordings on the web. Didn't the BBC transmit this ? I'd love to have a good quality video recording of the Glastonbury 2005 concert.

Great thread ! hoping we could add AHFOD into this thread if it matches the sound of oldplay, but obviously it won't be !

It's been since 2008 I'm waiting for a song that equals the mystery of Cemeteries of London or the choleric beauty of A Rush of Blood to the Head...

• Like 1

From that Era i love the Glastonbury 2005 festival a lot. First, you can sense how much they love Glastonbury, it's the most important festival to them. Second, the set was amazing ! They played a lot of X&Y songs there which they hardly ever played again.

And then the end with the lights and the dark sky and Fix You...it's magic.

Too bad there are only low definition and cut recordings on the web. Didn't the BBC transmit this ? I'd love to have a good quality video recording of the Glastonbury 2005 concert.

I hope there is someone out there who possesses a recording of the complete concert, including all of Swallowed In the Sea. The same goes for the 2002 set. :angry: Oh well, at least what is available is enjoyable!

Great thread ! hoping we could add AHFOD into this thread if it matches the sound of oldplay, but obviously it won't be !

It's been since 2008 I'm waiting for a song that equals the mystery of Cemeteries of London or the choleric beauty of A Rush of Blood to the Head...

I'd like to add MX and GS to this list.

Princess of China and Sky Full Of Stars are classic coldplay songs that every single fan will love.

• Like 3

I also wouldn't call VLV Oldplay (Sorry) more like an intermediary album, a stepping stone if you will. For me anyway, Oldplay is the early EP's (obviously) and the albums produced by Ken Nelson. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever get a true Oldplay album again unless they get Ken Nelson back on board. He contributed a lot to the signature Coldplay sound, for example the Howling Bells debut was produced by Ken Nelson to imitate the sound of AROBTTH.

[video=youtube;gho30Hx59z0]

A Whisper anyone?

[video=youtube;Fk1qkbQtoZ0]

Another track Ken produced was Frequency by Feeder and the Coldplay comparisons are hard to deny. The vocals sound very X&Y-esque

[video=youtube;9jxKwzqKf80]

• Like 3

I also wouldn't call VLV Oldplay (Sorry) more like an intermediary album, a stepping stone if you will. For me anyway, Oldplay is the early EP's (obviously) and the albums produced by Ken Nelson. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever get a true Oldplay album again unless they get Ken Nelson back on board. He contributed a lot to the signature Coldplay sound, for example the Howling Bells debut was produced by Ken Nelson to imitate the sound of AROBTTH.

[video=youtube;gho30Hx59z0]

A Whisper anyone?

[video=youtube;Fk1qkbQtoZ0]

Another track Ken produced was Frequency by Feeder and the Coldplay comparisons are hard to deny. The vocals sound very X&Y-esque

[video=youtube;9jxKwzqKf80]

I agree with you. VLV is not Oldplay for me either, but I made a pragmatic decision while making this thread - it is the last LP that most Oldplayers seem to feel somewhat comfortable with or actually really like it, and excluding it from the thread would unjustifiably exclude many Oldplayers.

Unfortunately, we'll never have Ken Nelson back. He passed away some years ago. :(

And thanks for posting these comparisons, I guess there's some bands i might want to check out...

• Like 1

Have we grown up, or back to our soul, the essence, the origin...or know how to deal with life better or easier or begging please...or be aware that you are a universal being, is Yellow the color of laight and love? A gift for all (in case you haven't got a chance to read one :)): Ami, Child of the Stars series - if music means sth. to your soul, this one might help more~

1. http://www.infiniteunknown.net/wp-co...12/amibook.pdf

2. http://thefederationoflight.ning.com...d-of-the-stars

@RedBalloon: Sorry, but I have to say that: why do you post that esoteric stuff and those links of yours under a number of threads with no logical connection to it ? You simply grab a keyword connected to the thread and then go on with your spiritual text. In this case under the pretext of mentioning Yellow. I have been noticing it in other threads too and if you want to hear my honest opinion, your advertisements (for this is what your posts are) are completely out of place...

Hi I Ran Away, how are you doing today? :)

I also really like the early Parachutes era performances. You can just tell how wet behind the ears they are. I particularly love the performance of Don't Panic where Chris completely messes up the harmonica part (At The Big Day Out Festival IIRC) His face went bright red with the embarrassment :laugh3: