✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Which collection is larger ~ your online or offline music?

brookeburkesluvr

I used to buy like at least 10 CDs a month. These days I get just about everything online (ahhh… the miracle of technology). My store-bought CD collection looks like something out of a museum. Do you still like to buy the CDs from the store, or do you get your music online? If online, what service do you use?

My offline collection is larger...heck, I don't have much of an offline collection either...I'm poor! and my online collection...i don't have much of it...few songs...plus, the music industry is sewing the hell out of everyone, so i'm not about to get my ass whooped by starting to d/l music now!

plus...if you think of it...the music you d/l for 'free' isn't really free...you're paying for high-speed internet, the computer, the electricity, your time speding looking for songs and d/l-ing them, empty CDs that you need if you wanna burn...etc.

i just go and buy whatever music i like at the store...

My offline collection is larger...heck, I don't have much of an offline collection either...I'm poor! and my online collection...i don't have much of it...few songs...plus, the music industry is sewing the hell out of everyone, so i'm not about to get my ass whooped by starting to d/l music now!

plus...if you think of it...the music you d/l for 'free' isn't really free...you're paying for high-speed internet, the computer, the electricity, your time speding looking for songs and d/l-ing them, empty CDs that you need if you wanna burn...etc.

Have u copied my name I am THEMUSICLOVER

Have u copied my name I am THEMUSICLOVER

:lol: surely you didn't notice my name before? :o it's 'musiclover', see the difference??

:P

as well...you should've copyrighted all the various permutations of 'musiclover'...sorta like what McDonalds has done...what with every word starting with 'Mc' already copyrighted by that damned corporate! :P

Oh, my online collection is larger cos i can't possibly find good stuff on stores here, since they only sell shite music for some reason. See, they don't even have the new travis cd here, and the import version costs 3x more than a national cd. :/ Also, great bands like Muse don't even have their cds for sale here. aaah. :(

I'd like to buy lots of cd's in the shop but I'm so poor... When I do it, I buy special offers and sales...

Then I'm a downloaded user and the collection is growing bit a bit.

And I've bought just twice on-line. V-Festival tickets this summer and Travis DVD and it worked for me correctly, although I'm a bit scared of putting my credit card number in a website :/

definatly online, but only by a hair. i've got tonnes of CD's but i like never listen to them any more. half of them are CD's that i've burned myself, so i guess they don't really count.....i've just deleted about 2/3 of the music i had on my comp because i never listened to half of it anyways :P

Oohhh .. that's a hard one ... I'd have to say offline .. AND share with you all that even though I can't download anything at work, my b/f has now downloaded and sent me 4gig of music

wish somebody would gift me some music like that! :-0 i got a few songs from friends who wanted to share theirs...and i sent them links or actual songs from my tiny online collection...but that's about it.

Well, don't forget I'm not talking about free file sharing. I don't believe in it for more than just the ethical reasons. If you use a free-file sharing service, you run the risk of getting a virus, a bad file, or a lawsuit. Plus, downloading all those files to listen to them is cumbersome. Not all subscription-based services are convenient either. iTunes only lets you preview 30 seconds of a track, then you have to buy it for 99 cents to hear the whole thing. At the office where I work we use Rhapsody (http://www.bestbuy.com/rhapsody), which is much easier (and cheap at $10 a month ~ we share it, so it's split up between six people). It's great because we get unlimited listening to just about anything we can think of all day. We like to take turns playing "DJ". I agree that there's no substitute for getting the commercial CD from an artist whose music you know you're going to really like. But if you just want music playing all day and you're usually around a computer, you can't beat something like Rhapsody. Plus, if you listen to CDs in the car a lot you know the value of having compilations handy. I have a 10-disc changer under the backseat and I make compilation CDs with Rhapsody so I don't have to change out discs as often. (they charge 79 cents per track burn)

Another thing I can think of that has 'converted' me to this type of online music buying is that it's so immediate. In the past, if I thought of something I hadn't heard in a long time and wanted a copy of, I would have to wait until I made a trip to the store to look for it. Then, assuming I remembered what it was that I wanted to get once I was actually at the store, I would have to hope that they had it in stock. Now, when I suddenly think of a CD I want to hear, I can immediately look it up on Rhapsody and start playing it.

Last, but not least, the artist gets paid when we burn tracks and that's important to me. Sure, they don't get paid as much as they should, but they don't get as much as they should from sales off a commercial CD either. The label gets the biggest cut of that too. Funny thing is, people complain about supporting the artist, but nobody has ever complained about buying used CDs from used music stores and the only people who see a red cent from a used CD sale is the store. Neither the artist nor the label gets anything.

there probably was a time where my online collection was bigger. back when downloading music wasn't such a crime. :lol:

now it's all gone, and all i have is like 50 songs, somewheres around there.

so with that said my offline collection is bigger :cool:

hey dude, whoa..that's like the only substantive post I've read on here! I mean, you wrote down a mini-essay, man! :cool: that's really nice of you, and quite refreshing! Most posts in here are one or two-liners. And yeah, I post that way myself, but I also like to write down my full thoughts...kinda cool to see someone else do that for a change!

hey dude' date=' whoa..that's like the only substantive post I've read on here! I mean, you wrote down a mini-essay, man! :cool: that's really nice of you, and quite refreshing! Most posts in here are one or two-liners. And yeah, I post that way myself, but I also like to write down my full thoughts...kinda cool to see someone else do that for a change![/quote']that's funny how my post was before yours, but you weren't even talking about mine. :lol:

hey dude' date=' whoa..that's like the only substantive post I've read on here! I mean, you wrote down a mini-essay, man! :cool: that's really nice of you, and quite refreshing! Most posts in here are one or two-liners. And yeah, I post that way myself, but I also like to write down my full thoughts...kinda cool to see someone else do that for a change![/quote']

Thanks for appreciating it. I guess I have a lot to say on the subject, because my mind has been changed about it so drastically. You know how it is when you're against something until you actually learn about it and then suddenly you feel like you were missing out all along? Anyway, thanks.

What's even worse than two-liner posts is when you post something that you have given a lot of thought and no one reads it or responds. Or they respond, but it's obvious that they didn't bother to read what you had to say.