✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

If you hate female singers

an angel

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.

A common feature of satire is strong irony or sarcasm—"in satire, irony is militant"[2]—but parody, burlesque, exaggeration, juxtaposition, comparison, analogy, and double entendre are all frequently used in satirical speech and writing. This "militant" irony or sarcasm often professes to approve (or at least accept as natural) the very things the satirist wishes to attack.

Satire is nowadays found in many artistic forms of expression, including literature, plays, commentary, and media such as lyrics."

...Yeah, not so much.

"Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.

A common feature of satire is strong irony or sarcasm—"in satire, irony is militant"[2]—but parody, burlesque, exaggeration, juxtaposition, comparison, analogy, and double entendre are all frequently used in satirical speech and writing. This "militant" irony or sarcasm often professes to approve (or at least accept as natural) the very things the satirist wishes to attack.

Satire is nowadays found in many artistic forms of expression, including literature, plays, commentary, and media such as lyrics."

...Yeah, not so much.

Thanks for the definition. I had a feeling somebody might post one.;)

The great thing about satire is that it doesn't follow any set rules and virtually anything goes, which is exactly how I like it, and why I love satirical TV shows such as "Have I Got News For You".

Many of the criteria stated above fit what I said perfectly. No further explanation is necessary.

And on the subject of things "being taken out of context" (and I don't think that was, as I was agreeing with something somebody said - irrespective of whether it was said in jest) it happens to comments I make annoyingly frequently. However, as I'm fully aware of the 'bigger picture', I choose to ignore it most of the time.

The vast majority of comments shouldn't need any explanation, anyway - they're just harmless "banter", particularly here in The Lounge.;)

However, this thread is now going way off topic, so I reckon we should leave it there, and get back to discussing annoying female singers.:cool:

In the unlikely event anyone wants to discuss any of this further, they can PM me.

I have a feeling they were trying to tell you your sarcasm was not of the laughter-inducing variety, instead of trying to educate you on the definition of the word

Well if that's the case, it was a very strange way to go about it, then.:confused:

Anyway, either way, I'm "nod" interested in the slightest.:nod::nod::nod:

And the thread is still off topic.:dozey:

Thanks for the definition. I had a feeling somebody might post one.;)

The great thing about satire is that it doesn't follow any set rules and virtually anything goes, which is exactly how I like it, and why I love satirical TV shows such as "Have I Got News For You".

Many of the criteria stated above fit what I said perfectly. No further explanation is necessary.

And on the subject of things "being taken out of context" (and I don't think that was, as I was agreeing with something somebody said - irrespective of whether it was said in jest) it happens to comments I make annoyingly frequently. However, as I'm fully aware of the 'bigger picture', I choose to ignore it most of the time.

The vast majority of comments shouldn't need any explanation, anyway - they're just harmless "banter", particularly here in The Lounge.;)

However, this thread is now going way off topic, so I reckon we should leave it there, and get back to discussing annoying female singers.:cool:

In the unlikely event anyone wants to discuss any of this further, they can PM me.

No, it didn't. Just because your comment was sarcastic doesn't mean it's satire. I didn't find it remotely amusing, and it certainly wasn't witty in any sense of the word.

Yeah, it does happen with you frequently. It's not like people are aiming to attack your comments. I don't think that's the case at all, given it happens with so many people here.

Oh, and the thread isn't necessarily just about the "annoying" female singers. Really, I think it has turned into a discussion about the function and likeability of female singers in music in general.

I have a feeling they were trying to tell you your sarcasm was not of the laughter-inducing variety, instead of trying to educate you on the definition of the word

Yep, basically. :nod:

Well if that's the case, it was a very strange way to go about it, then.:confused:

Anyway, either way, I'm "nod" interested in the slightest.:nod::nod::nod:

And the thread is still off topic.:dozey:

Not at all. I think it was perfectly reasonable.

If you're not interested, then why do you still keep talking about it? Just leave it alone if it's that big of a problem for you.

Yeah, it's off-topic. That happens in The Lounge all the time. It's not a big deal.

No, it didn't. Just because your comment was sarcastic doesn't mean it's satire.

Doesn't mean it isn't, either. As I said (and as you will see from the definition you posted), satire encompasses many things. Therefore I stand by my comment.;)

I didn't find it remotely amusing, and it certainly wasn't witty in any sense of the word.

Opinion duly noted. I disagree, and don't care.

Yeah, it does happen with you frequently. It's not like people are aiming to attack your comments.

I disagree. Seeing as it tends to come from the same people all the time, I would say that is exactly the scenario.

Oh, and the thread isn't necessarily just about the "annoying" female singers. Really, I think it has turned into a discussion about the function and likeability of female singers in music in general.

Don't have a problem with that. I was referring to to the other comments, which had nothing to with the general theme whatsoever.;)

If you're not interested, then why do you still keep talking about it? Just leave it alone if it's that big of a problem for you.

Yeah, it's off-topic. That happens in The Lounge all the time. It's not a big deal.

Neither are the witticisms.:clown:

And I agree - the "nodding" smileys are fun. :nod::nod::nod:

Why do I even try? This is clearly hopeless.

hope·less

   /ˈhoʊplɪs/ [hohp-lis]

–adjective

providing no hope; beyond optimism or hope; desperate: a hopeless case of cancer.

without hope; despairing: hopeless grief.

impossible to accomplish, solve, resolve, etc.: Balancing my budget is hopeless.

-noun

mc_squared

:nod:

hope·less

   /ˈhoʊplɪs/ [hohp-lis]

–adjective

providing no hope; beyond optimism or hope; desperate: a hopeless case of cancer.

without hope; despairing: hopeless grief.

impossible to accomplish, solve, resolve, etc.: Balancing my budget is hopeless.

Fixed.