✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why is everyone OVERREACTING?!?!

matthewthecoolguy

People are overreacting to the fact that Coldplay sounds too popish now, and that their lyrics aren't as amazing as before.

I think the problem people are having is that they aren't remembering this is a concept album. Theres 14! (or more!!!) songs that are telling a giant story, so it doesn't matter if each song doesn't have the worlds most thought out lyrics.

I love Paradise, and from hearing all the songs they've released/played so far, this is Coldplay's true ROCK album. It will be amazing, and it will be played A LOT on the radio, which is the best thing that could happen. More exposure = More and better songs in the future. And they deserve it too.

And for Rihanna, I think people are over-reacting. She can sing (is she perfect? no), and have you heard Princess of China yet? Even though the live recordings have suckish quality, you can still hear most of the song. Its not like she will be raping about sex. She will probably share the lyrics with Chris. I think it will be a great song. At least Coldplay and the Oracle seem to think so. And they are the only ones I will trust.

My name is Matthew, and Ive been a fan of Coldplay since I found out that the song on the radio was called Clocks, about 9 months before Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends came out. I bought X & Y and loved it. I got Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head and loved it. I got VLV and loved it.

And most importantly, I love the songs from Mylo Xyloto. Im 18 now and a freshman in college, and I can say that I am a true Coldplay fan. Ive listened to all their albums, know many of their lyrics, and appreciate them a lot.

So I thank them and say let haters hate!

My biggest vice with Parasite is the lyrical content and lack thereof. No spark, nothing. The instrumentation is 8/10 easy, it's like Coldplay's Undisclosed Desires.

As for Rihanna, I agree. She's just another instrument in the song. I just don't understand why they would pick a woman born in Barbados to sing on Princess Of China. No Chris Columbus, you can't get to the west Indies, there's an entire continent in the way.

That's not an excuse for terrible lyrics.

I love Paradise's music and I overall do enjoy the song very much, but the lyrics are really bad and I can certainly understand where the criticism is coming from.

To be honest, your logic makes no sense at all. Since when did concept album mean you could tell a story with sub par lyrics?

Sounds to me like you're fishing for excuses. There have been plenty of concept album's in the past that have amazing lyrics.

edit: By the way, what is it with everyone on this forum thinking that a concept album is an album that tells a story. That's not true people. A concept album is an album that is centred around an integral concept or theme. That's it. There doesn't necessarily have to be a story told.

My biggest vice with Parasite is the lyrical content and lack thereof. No spark, nothing. The instrumentation is 8/10 easy, it's like Coldplay's Undisclosed Desires.

I think that this is the big problem with the song, I like the song (I don't love it) its been stuck in my head all day but I wish well there was more to it. Most of the lyrics that are present are pretty good (Aside from the obvious few) but there just needed to be more lyrics less repetition.

Seriously at least one time they should have said something like "Trapped in her mind's eye/ she was para- para- paralyzed"

If we can get a hold of some instrumental stems for Paradise, we as a forum should rewrite and edit parts of the song and get someone with a voice similar to Chris' to sing it and record it over. I want this for Undisclosed Desires too. Then I could put this new and improved version in my library in place of the original Paradise. :)

As for Rihanna, I agree. She's just another instrument in the song. I just don't understand why they would pick a woman born in Barbados to sing on Princess Of China. No Chris Columbus, you can't get to the west Indies, there's an entire continent in the way.

You nailed it.

look,I don't care about the concept album, the upcoming video, clothes that will fit the song, or whether it will sound pop or jazz or metal - I don't like the song and that is it.

I find it lazy,repetitive and weak compared to what the band can do. I don't like the music.

p.s. I am sure many more people here think the same and I don't see why you guys have to attack us all the time, I am sick of justifying myself over one damn song, and I don't think I am the only one.

The poll shows that more people like the song than don't like it. I would like to buy the song. When will it be released in the USA on CD? Those who like it should speak up more. I like the idea of a song about a girl who goes to great places and does great things in her dreams. I have dreams where I do things that I can not do in the physical universe such as surfing for miles, create a building with my mind, ride big rollercoasters, and other fun things. It is good to have a song that represents me.

When you listen to a new song, it is good to listen to it a few times, and then listen to it a few times later, not all at once, so you hear more detail the next time you hear it.

People are overreacting to the fact that Coldplay sounds too popish now, and that their lyrics aren't as amazing as before.

I think the problem people are having is that they aren't remembering this is a concept album. Theres 14! (or more!!!) songs that are telling a giant story, so it doesn't matter if each song doesn't have the worlds most thought out lyrics.

I love Paradise, and from hearing all the songs they've released/played so far, this is Coldplay's true ROCK album. It will be amazing, and it will be played A LOT on the radio, which is the best thing that could happen. More exposure = More and better songs in the future. And they deserve it too.

And for Rihanna, I think people are over-reacting. She can sing (is she perfect? no), and have you heard Princess of China yet? Even though the live recordings have suckish quality, you can still hear most of the song. Its not like she will be raping about sex. She will probably share the lyrics with Chris. I think it will be a great song. At least Coldplay and the Oracle seem to think so. And they are the only ones I will trust.

My name is Matthew, and Ive been a fan of Coldplay since I found out that the song on the radio was called Clocks, about 9 months before Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends came out. I bought X & Y and loved it. I got Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head and loved it. I got VLV and loved it.

And most importantly, I love the songs from Mylo Xyloto. Im 18 now and a freshman in college, and I can say that I am a true Coldplay fan. Ive listened to all their albums, know many of their lyrics, and appreciate them a lot.

So I thank them and say let haters hate!

Well said, I think that there will be so many different sounds on this album that there will be something for everyone!

We havent heard the studio versions of the best songs yet: 'HLH' 'CB' 'UATW'

And there are more songs on the album that could be real good.But keep in mind that all the songs are in the same style of arrengements and that's the biggest mistake that coldplay made with this coming album.

More exposure = More and better songs in the future. And they deserve it too.

I take great issue with this portion of your post: since when does more exposure lead to better songs? By that logic, the pop artists that dominate the charts (Katy Perry, Ke$ha, etc) will continually produce "more and better songs in the future" Really???

Listen, this isn't about trying to be a "hipster" (whatever that means :rolleyes:) or being a "hater." It's simply realizing the fact that Coldplay can evolve as a band without resorting to Top-40 material. But their recent output suggests otherwise - they're repetitive, they're bland, they're uninspired. And that's the worst "change" of all.

look,I don't care about the concept album, the upcoming video, clothes that will fit the song, or whether it will sound pop or jazz or metal - I don't like the song and that is it.

I find it lazy, repetitive and weak compared to what the band can do. I don't like the music.

p.s. I am sure many more people here think the same and I don't see why you guys have to attack us all the time, I am sick of justifying myself over one damn song, and I don't think I am the only one.

:nod:

and besides, starting a thread to say the same thing that has been said already so many times, isn't that a bit overreacting?

:nod:

and besides, starting a thread to say the same thing that has been said already so many times, isn't that a bit overreacting?

exactly what I just thought when reading it again. but honestly, it seems to me that ppl who like the song overreact more about those who don't. and call us non-fans and stuff.

like a non-fan would miss 2 exams to go a foreign country alone and spend whole lot of money which he doesn't have just to see one of his favorite bands, design and write postcards to send, etc. whatever.

exactly what I just thought when reading it again. but honestly, it seems to me that ppl who like the song overreact more about those who don't. and call us non-fans and stuff.

I think the issue is that fans of the song wrongly believe that any amount of criticism towards the band is akin to committing a sin. The large majority of posters that criticize the recent songs is because they know the band is capable of so much more. There's nothing more disappointing that someone not realizing their true potential.

However, when this opinion is voiced, the fans immediately label this as "hate" and the posters as "non-fans." Being a true fan means acknowledging both the accomplishments and shortcomings of a band.

it seems to me that ppl who like the song overreact more about those who don't. and call us non-fans and stuff.

I can only speak for myself when I say I don´t think I am overreacting, but I am sure I am not alone in feeling that if you like MX, you will often come and respond to critic, simply because a lot of us went and listened to Paradise and went WOW and then came to this forum and were totally put off by the criticism. I think there is a strong desire to find a common ground so we can all, or at least the majority, start to get excited about MX together. After all, this is our big Coldplay family and no-one likes arguing with the people you love :)

I think the issue is that fans of the song wrongly believe that any amount of criticism towards the band is akin to committing a sin. The large majority of posters that criticize the recent songs is because they know the band is capable of so much more. There's nothing more disappointing that someone not realizing their true potential.

However, when this opinion is voiced, the fans immediately label this as "hate" and the posters as "non-fans." Being a true fan means acknowledging both the accomplishments and shortcomings of a band.

This

It goes both ways, as always. MX lovers feel that any amount of exuberance for the new songs is perceived as a sin by people who don´t like the new material...so let´s leave sin out of this, on both sides hehe :) IT´s ok to like, it´s ok to dislike. Sometimes we can have it both ways :)