✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

One thing that really bugs me about this song...

Blakexy1125

When rhianna sings " I could've been a princess, youd be a king. I could've had a castle and worn a ring but noooooo you let me go."

The "Nooooo you let me go" part should be "Nooo i let you go."

Chris sings it live like this "You couldve been a pricness, id be a king. You couldve had a castle and worn a ring but no you let me go"

So chris is singing guys perspective and rhinna would sing female prespective and the girl is letting go of the guy.

it just really annoys me that they would have a careless mistake like this...

Am i the only one annoyed by this?

Yeah but if you read the lyrics it just sounds wrong... well atleast to me it does. like it makes the princess or whatever seem greedy. i just think it sounds better from a guys prespective like talking about all the things that he couldve gave to a girl but she let him go lol but in a girls prespective it just sounds like she wants to be with him for the royalty, castle, ring.

Yeah but if you read the lyrics it just sounds wrong... well atleast to me it does. like it makes the princess or whatever seem greedy. i just think it sounds better from a guys prespective like talking about all the things that he couldve gave to a girl but she let him go lol but in a girls prespective it just sounds like she wants to be with him for the royalty, castle, ring.

To quote Good Charlotte: "Girls dont like boys, girls like cars and money."

I can totally understand him.

Also, why song about Princess? Princess is daughter.

King + Queen: Yes

King + Princess: No

I have seen this before about the song. That the lyrics are Oedipus complex blah and/or just incest, but really;

a princess is not necessary the daughter of every king! Who says that the king in the story is the father of the princess? There's many kings and only one is/was the father of whatever princess.

Also because the story is a love story I refuse to believe that they would be relatives, it makes much more sense to think of the princess as the daughter of someone else than the one she's in love with.

King + Queen makes more sense, I agree, the lyrics seem not so carefully thought through. I hope some interviewer will confront Chris with this once :D

I have seen this before about the song. That the lyrics are Oedipus complex blah and/or just incest, but really;

a princess is not necessary the daughter of every king! Who says that the king in the story is the father of the princess? There's many kings and only one is/was the father of whatever princess.

Also because the story is a love story I refuse to believe that they would be relatives, it makes much more sense to think of the princess as the daughter of someone else than the one she's in love with.

King + Queen makes more sense, I agree, the lyrics seem not so carefully thought through. I hope some interviewer will confront Chris with this once :D

Two Points:

She sings she "could have been a Princess"... if she's from a different family, she is a Princess, regardless of what happens with the King. In the song, her being a Princess is clearly conditional on her having a relationship with the King.

Even if she were from a different Family, once she's with the King... she becomes a Queen.

She sings she "could have been a Princess"... if she's from a different family, she is a Princess, regardless of what happens with the King. In the song, her being a Princess is clearly conditional on her having a relationship with the King.

Even if she were from a different Family, once she's with the King... she becomes a Queen.

Are you now saying that she’s the daughter of this king and has a relationship with him? :S

Are your two points supposed to say that I am saying something wrong in that quote? (Not trying to argue or so, just that I don't know if this is what you mean with your reply :) )

Also, your first point of reasoning doesn't hold :S

but I like that like me you are really trying to understand the story behind the song :D

Yeah sure. I'm sorry I didn't do so before. I had to go offline, but now I am back! :D and could write it down, but I don't know if it's clear :S

“if she's from a different family, she is a Princess”

Okay, for one, being from a different family doesn’t automatically mean that this other family is a royal one, so her being from another family doesn’t necessary mean that she is already a princess. So, there you go.

Also, her becoming or should have been a princess can have to do with what happened with the King even if they are not direct family. For example, is it possible that her mother could marry a prince so that they become King and Queen and then she’d be the princess? Or she simply would have been a princess because her life with him would be so rich and wonderful and they would feel like they rule the world (which is what would make him feel like a King)? - This is what I think is going on in this song.

Anyway, was I right with thinking that you were basically saying that she’s the daughter of this king and has/had a romantic relationship with him?

Yeah sure. I'm sorry I didn't do so before. I had to go offline, but now I am back! :D and could write it down, but I don't know if it's clear :S

“if she's from a different family, she is a Princess”

Okay, for one, being from a different family doesn’t automatically mean that this other family is a royal one, so her being from another family doesn’t necessary mean that she is already a princess. So, there you go.

Also, her becoming or should have been a princess can have to do with what happened with the King even if they are not direct family. For example, is it possible that her mother could marry a prince so that they become King and Queen and then she’d be the princess? Or she simply would have been a princess because her life with him would be so rich and wonderful and they would feel like they rule the world (which is what would make him feel like a King)? - This is what I think is going on in this song.

Anyway, was I right with thinking that you were basically saying that she’s the daughter of this king and has/had a romantic relationship with him?

So, with the King, she'd (Princess or otherwise) become Queen. The only reason we're talking about a Princess from a different family is to make sense of the King/Princess situation Coldplay has dealt us with.

A Queen's partner does not become King. Who's she singing about if her Mother marries the Prince, who becomes King? Her Father-in-Law?

"Princess", possibly moreso than "Queen" is a pet-name

"King" too...

That might be another explanation.

But I think Coldplay just made a mistake. Probably because Queen Elizabeth II's husband is a "Prince" (title conferred).

Hm, yeah, I think so too that Coldplay or made a mistake or took this very lightly and it was just about the idea and we are just overanalysing it too much :lol:

I also understand that the Mother thing doesn't make sense in this song, but it was just hypothetical and purely based on the way of reasoning in the point 1 you made.

So you are now coming to the conclusion that king/princess shouldn't be taken literally?

Hm, yeah, I think so too that Coldplay or made a mistake or took this very lightly and it was just about the idea and we are just overanalysing it too much :lol:

I also understand that the Mother thing doesn't make sense in this song, but it was just hypothetical and purely based on the way of reasoning in the point 1 you made.

So you are now coming to the conclusion that king/princess shouldn't be taken literally?

I think they made a mistake, or at the very least, failed to appreciate the confusion to which King?Princess could lead, but I think they're talking about 2 people, non-Monarchy, who could live as Princess, figuratively, and King, figuratively...

Good discussion!

not more I do not see the point

plus the princess, wants to get married to his king. why they talk about marriage? just to talk banality .

I have never seen a father ask his daughter in marriage. just although there are stupid customs of marrying cousins ​​in the families of monarchy.

So, with the King, she'd (Princess or otherwise) become Queen. The only reason we're talking about a Princess from a different family is to make sense of the King/Princess situation Coldplay has dealt us with.

A Queen's partner does not become King. Who's she singing about if her Mother marries the Prince, who becomes King? Her Father-in-Law?

"Princess", possibly moreso than "Queen" is a pet-name

"King" too...

That might be another explanation.

But I think Coldplay just made a mistake. Probably because Queen Elizabeth II's husband is a "Prince" (title conferred).

already discussed here

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89549