✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Complete this sentence: I have _____________________ .

rf_ucsd

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Fish wasn't weird at all. It was really charming. It's certainly nowhere near as weird as most of Burton's other movies. In fact, this movie was very mainstream and approachable.

Yeah, I do really like movies and music ... I like watching and listening to a lot of stuff and comparing it.

For movies, I do get a mild discount with Movie Watcher cards and what-not, but nothing to note, really. I've seen 43 movies in the theaters over the last calendar year, so if you do the math and add in the soda I almost get out of obligation you have a lot of cash in "the Man's" hands.

Barbarian Invasions is a French/Canadian flick. It's in French, about a son reestablishing a relationship with a dying father. In that way, it's a good compare-contrast with Big Fish (and is probably a big reason why Big Fish is getting worse reviews than I would otherwise expect).

Triplettes of Belleville is an animated feature. It's somewhat difficult to describe and I can't wholeheartedly recommend it to the average movie-goer.

Can I have some of that cash?? :lol: :lol:

I sneaked in a soda into the theatre when I went to see LOTR. I ain't paying no 3-4 bucks on a small soda!!! They rip you off on that stuff, I wonder why anyone hasn't ever complained. Anyways, that french/canadian flick sounds good.

Is the burton flick set in the 50s? Is Mc Greggor playing and american in that movie?

Is Cold Mountain as good as they are publicizing it out to be?

Big Fish jumps around in it's chronology. I think each of the last six or seven decades are represented. with the possible exception being the nineties. McGreggor plays a soutern American and pulls it off excellently. While I've never seen McGreggor give a great performance, I've never seen have been bad. I really like him.

I posted about 800 words on Cold Mountain in another thread. You should read that. I think it will tell you all you'd like to know.

Oh, that's right. Well, it doesn't give away the ending, but it does give away some of the plot.

>>> from the other thread

But let me post the intro to the thread, because that will answer your question:

Eight Golden Globe nominations were the worst thing which could have happened to Cold Mountain (CM) in the media blitz leading up to its release. While the relevance of the Golden Globes has (and always will be) debated, any movie which leads the field in nominations carries with it heavy expectations. As such, I expected CM to blow me away.

It didn't. In fact, there were moments during the first parts of the movie where I carried on a mental dialogue questioning the critics who placed the movie on its pedestal. As a fan of movies, rethinking this hype after seeing CM, I feel gypped. This was a very good movie, and only in light of those expectations does this movie deserve any criticism. So, here forward in this write-up I'll move past the hype, leaving here the fact that I don't feel this movie was as good as my elite movies of the year (Return of the King, Mystic River, and 21 Grams).

I do, however, feel it is right behind, making it an excellent movie in its own right.

Sean Penn is really good? I like a lot of his movies. Robin....something or other...does a Boston accent... :lol: :lol:

I gotta see this movie...heard it's a real downer....my kind of movie :) Actually I like sad movies...

I have one more post to go....I have accomplished my goal!