✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Atlas didn't carry the world.

Fez - Being Born

Atlas and his brother Menoetius sided with the Titans in their war against the Olympians. When the Titans were defeated, many of them (including Menoetius) were confined to Tartarus, but Zeus condemned Atlas to stand at the western edge of Gaia (the Earth) and hold up Uranus (the Sky) on his shoulders, to prevent the two from resuming their primordial embrace. Thus, he was Atlas Telamon, "enduring Atlas," and became a doublet of Koios, the embodiment of the celestial axis around which the heavens revolve.

A common misconception today is that Atlas was forced to hold the Earth on his shoulders, but Classical art shows Atlas holding the celestial spheres, not a globe; the solidity of the marble globe born by the renowned Farnese Atlas may have aided the conflation, reinforced in the 16th century by the developing usage of atlas to describe a corpus of terrestrial maps.

oracle_title.png

September 19, 2013 - submitted by Raj, Canada

Q. Why is the latest song called Atlas and not Carry Your World? I wonder since it's mentioned so much in the chorus, wouldn't it make a better title overall?

The Oracle replies:

I don't think it's necessary to name a song after a repeated refrain or chorus.

In this case, I feel Atlas is the perfect choice.

It may help if you have an interest in Greek Mythology to make the connection but here's why it's actually a very appropriate moniker. Atlas was a Greek God who DID carry the world.