✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

DEREK!!!!

Christa42

is?KonxKDkNc3rTdKoOjmKExgi5LskkUyFDe4S1y1Kgd2I&height=211

I cannot believe no one has started a thread for this amazing show!!! Ricky Gervais is genius!!! It has me crying and laugh snorting at the same time. It is presently on Netflix and I love it. It is so sweet and funny and endearing. Not to mention the songs they play. So like the 3rd episode I think I hear one of my favorite Radiohead songs "Bones" and I am like OMG he so gets it!!! Then there is this great scene at the beach where "Paradise" is played and it's brilliant. But the bestest is the final scene of the season (I do not want to give away the story) but "Fix You" is played and I am BAWLING!!!! I work with the elderly and it is like he took a day out of my patients lives and put it on the screen. Love this show. Please watch

Ok now there is no excuse!

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>

<div class="fb-post" data-href="

data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="
>Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/BeLikeDerek">Derek</a>.</div></div>

is?KonxKDkNc3rTdKoOjmKExgi5LskkUyFDe4S1y1Kgd2I&height=211

I cannot believe no one has started a thread for this amazing show!!! Ricky Gervais is genius!!! It has me crying and laugh snorting at the same time. It is presently on Netflix and I love it. It is so sweet and funny and endearing. Not to mention the songs they play. So like the 3rd episode I think I hear one of my favorite Radiohead songs "Bones" and I am like OMG he so gets it!!! Then there is this great scene at the beach where "Paradise" is played and it's brilliant. But the bestest is the final scene of the season (I do not want to give away the story) but "Fix You" is played and I am BAWLING!!!! I work with the elderly and it is like he took a day out of my patients lives and put it on the screen. Love this show. Please watch

Yess! I thought I was the only one from cping watching this series! :awesome:

It is AMAZING! The best thing I've watched on Netflix!

And the final scene is the bestest indeed! I cried, it was so touching!

I loved this show so so much! I'm so looking forward to season 2!!!

I cannot wait to see how the father thing turns out!

AHH YES! I started watching and simply couldn't stop.. watched everything all at once. Ricky's acting in this is so brilliant.. Derek is so endearing and how he handles things is so sweet and simple! Heartwarming show. Cried for about 80% of the last episode :escaping:

Also, the scene where Kev starts writing on crabs had me laughing SO hard. How do they come up with this?! Fantastic stuff.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ricky Gervais receives an Emmy nomination for Best Actor in Derek :)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Congratulations to <a href="https://twitter.com/rickygervais">@rickygervais</a> for his <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Emmy?src=hash">#Emmy</a> nomination for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Derek?src=hash">#Derek</a>! <a href="http://t.co/l2LqH691lb">http://t.co/l2LqH691lb</a></p>— Derek (@DerekTVShow) <a href="https://twitter.com/DerekTVShow/statuses/487216785662697472">July 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://community.ew.com/2014/07/16/the-top-5-moments-of-derek-season-1/

From Entertainment Weekly:

check out #2

Top 5 moments of 'Derek,' season 1

derek-s1-e7-baby-monkey.png?w=612&h=380&crop=1

by Bill Tucker, Community Contributor twitter-bird-16x16.png@BillTuckerTSP Jul 16, 2014 | 9:00AM

Season 1 of Derek is an unexpected joy. Full of excellent performances, deft writing and the ability to tug heart strings without being corny or cheesy, Derek is a rare breed. Over the course of seven episodes, we’ve laughed, wept and cheered the kindest caretaker ever to grace a retirement home. Here are the top five moments from the first season of an exceptional program:

Related

'Derek' trailer: Ricky Gervais says 'be nice to animals' -- VIDEO

Orange Is the New Black recap: Power Struggles

Russell Crowe and Ricky Gervais live-tweeted their drunken evening together

5) Mr Fucking T (Episode 4): Dougie has a number of “attack the asshole” moments, but this is the best. After Shelly, a cold-hearted wench, takes back her mother’s ring (which she gave to Tom), Dougie tells her off in wonderfully satisfying fashion. Rather than a slew of curses, Dougie confronts her awfulness and forces her to face it. She didn’t care, she has the ring, now beat it. One of the best lines in the series tops it off and adds a needed laugh to an otherwise brutal episode.

derek-s1-e4-f-off.gif?w=260&h=145

4) The Headbutt (Episode 1): We witness Hannah’s sisterly protection of Derek multiple times throughout the series, but her Charles Bronson–style headbutt in the pilot is the best. While sharing a pint with Derek at his favorite pub, a trio of tramps start making mean comments. Derek innocently asks Hannah what he’s done wrong and after she leads him out of sight, she goes back to the ringleader and delivers the knockout blow. The music cues and timing are perfect, as is Hannah’s assurance to Derek that the ugly chick is sorry. Oh, I’m sure she is.

GET EW ON YOUR TABLET: Subscribe today and get instant access!

giphy.gif

3) Kev’s Crab Painting (Episode 5): Destined for the list due to its pure absurdity, Kev’s painting of crude words on the backs of beach crabs is wonderfully strange. Forget swimming, tanning and building sandcastles. Kev’s idea of seashore fun is drawing curse words on crustaceans. Dougie is constantly challenging Kev’s disgusting behavior, but here he simply sighs and admires Kev’s handiwork. Dougie decides to let go for once, and we get a fun moment of juvenile ridiculousness.

giphy.gif

2) The Reunion (Episode 7): The culmination of everything good and pure about Derek, the forgiveness of his long-absent dad is powerful, emotional and poignant. After an episode of Derek’s refusal to reunite, he gives in to his bottomless capacity for kindness, creating the ultimate expression of the show’s central theme. Mixed with a perfectly timed Coldplay song and phenomenal shot direction, the finale of Derek is one for the ages.

derek-s1-top-5-derek-and-dad.gif?w=300&h=168

And now, before we get to the best moment of Derek, season 1, here are some Honorable Mentions:

Blood Sausage (Episode 4): Kev has dozens of quotable moments, but his description of his penis as eight ounces of “purrrre blood sausage” is the funniest and creepiest. Why this isn’t a meme or a Twitter hashtag is beyond me.

Furry Friends (Episode 2): When the local animal shelter brings some puppy love to the day room, it’s a sweet affirmation of an animal’s ability to holistically heal. Since I come from a family of animal lovers, volunteers and vets, this is a personal favorite.

The Final Kev Confessional (Episode 7): As the most irredeemable of the nursing-home crew, Kev’s final breakdown exposes his inner struggle. His understanding of Derek’s most important gift is the whole point of the series. It’s always better to be kind.

Hamster on a Piano (Episode 1): Yep. That’s now in your head. You’re welcome.

And the best moment of the first season of Derek is:

1) Joan’s Passing (Episode 1): In a very tight race for the number-one spot, Joan’s death is the moment we realize, as an audience, Derek isn’t just a fun, quirky comedy. It’s going to be emotionally honest and, at times, heartbreaking. When Derek learns of his favorite person’s passing, his uncontrollable tears and symbolic pat of the head are masterfully acted, written and directed. The moment is also constantly referred to, and serves as a launch pad for seven episodes of laughter, tears, love and forgiveness. Joan always told Derek that it’s better to be kind than to be clever, and that central theme is the soul of the series. It’s a sentiment we can all learn from and aspire to.

giphy.gif

The second-season recaps begin next week. Until then, always try to #BeLikeDerek.