✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Performing tomorrow night!!!!

Kingzilla

I don't know if this is the right thread, but tomorrow I'm doing my first vocal performance to In My Place and I'm Yours to a live audience for my school. I consider myself a pretty good singer, since I have practically the same range as Chris, which is why I like to sing Coldplay songs. But anyways, does anyone have any advice for singing live? I'm a tad nervous, though I know all the lyrics. I'm opening for the show so there will be a lot of pressure :D

Well I can't say I'll be of any help as I am terrible at singing, but performance wise just make sure you're prepared and try not to get too nervous! It's hard to do in front of a crowd but just stay comfortable and remember what you've practiced. And try not to worry about it too much either, just let it flow. Good luck!

Thanks for replying. One thing I care about more than anything is not to be a singer who just stands awkwardly at the mic singing. That's why I picked In My Place, so I can move a bit. Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it.

Thanks for replying. One thing I care about more than anything is not to be a singer who just stands awkwardly at the mic singing. That's why I picked In My Place, so I can move a bit. Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it.

From performing experience and sport coaching experience, don't worry about what not do to. Instead focus on what needs to be done. Obviously there are the technical things you should have prepped well for already (lyrics, vocal exercise/warmup, if you're playing an instrument along know how to play it, etc).

I guess your question is more on nerves and dealing with a large room? The biggest thing for first timers of anything is nerves. We can all do amazing things when we're performing alone or in smaller groups, but when you're in a crowd, the easiest tasks somehow get messed up. What I do is focus on the front row and kinda blur out the back of the room. It's not ideal, but if you're that nervous about large crowds then it will calm you down. If you feel fine with it, just perform as you would otherwise: look like you're having fun, look like you're into it, and it will come through in your performance and the crowd.

The thing I remember about doing presentations or performances at school is that I knew most of the people in the school/crowd and they knew me. Therefore, it was more like I was performing for friends than anything. Knowing this relieved a lot of jitters for me because I knew they would appreciate what I was doing. I don't know what kind of relationship you have with your school, but its just something I thought I'd mention in case it applies to you.

If you're strictly singing, find out if you feel more comfortable with a mic stand or holding the mic. Some ppl like to grasp onto something (like the mic) and go without the stand. Some ppl like to have it there for something to 'hide' behind and plus it frees up your hands to engage the audience to clap or something. Just another little tip I thought I'd throw in. I'm more of a mic stand guy myself :lol:

But like I said nerves are the biggest thing. Even the biggest performers today have them. I watched a film on how to deal with pressure and Adele was in it saying how she throws up before every performance. You should have nerves before a performance but its how you deal with it that separates 'okay' performers from great ones. The goal here is to be natural and act like you would if performing just between you and your band. So I guess what i'm trying to say is 'have fun'.

Well I did it. My sickness (broncitis) got worse as the day progressed and In My Place ended up going so so. I messed up the second verse and ended up singing "I'm lost, I'm lost", twice. And the chorus was sort of belted too much. I wish I toned it down, but it is my first performance so I don't really mind. I moved around and got the crowd pumped so thats good. My second song, I'm Yours was a lot better, though my voice was shot so I fell off tune a few times, but it was toned down and sounded better. I'll post youtube videos if anyone is interested in seeing my performances.