✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

NFL to Coldplay: Pay to Play the Super Bowl

gai

Super Bowl 2015: Rihanna, Katy Perry and Coldplay in pay-to-play offer

1408527925410.jpg-620x349.jpg

Rihanna, Katy Perry and Coldplay have reportedly been approached about performing in the Super Bowl 2015 half-time show on February 1, 2015, but the catch is they were asked to pay for the privilege.

The Super Bowl XLVIII half-time show has an enormous and therefore valuable television audience: 115.3 million people watched the 13-minute performance (a higher peak than the game itself). That was more than double the numbers which tuned into the Academy Awards (43.74 million) this year and nearly four times the size of the Grammy Awards (28.51 million) audience. Fox charged $US4 million ($4.3 million) for a 30-second commercial, which was a record.

Outside of an OIympic Games or World Cup soccer opening or closing ceremony, a Super Bowl half-time show is the biggest television audience a performer is ever likely to have.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/super-bowl-2015-rihanna-katy-perry-and-coldplay-in-paytoplay-offer-20140820-1065s6.html

This is disgusting! Pay to play is hurting musicians at every level of the music industry. The NFL of all people can afford to pay a band. It's not a question of whether coldplay I need the money or not. It is a question of what is right or wrong and this is wrong. I hope to god Rihanna gets the gig!

This!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/british-rock-band-six-super-150000225.html;_ylt=AwrBJR8jG_ZTniEAeBWTmYlQ

British Rock Band YOU ME AT SIX Make Super Bowl Halftime Offer To NFL

BAND ISSUES OPEN LETTER TO BELEAGUERED LEAGUE

<cite class="byline vcard top-line"> </cite>

<!-- google_ad_section_start --> <meta content="2014-08-21T15:00:00Z" itemprop="datePublished"> <meta content="British Rock Band YOU ME AT SIX Make Super Bowl Halftime Offer To NFL" itemprop="headline"> <meta content="BAND ISSUES OPEN LETTER TO BELEAGUERED LEAGUE" itemprop="alternativeHeadline"> <meta content="" itemprop="image"> <meta content="LOS ANGELES, Aug. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- With headlines swirling about the NFL allegedly instituting a pay-to-play policy for the 2015 Super Bowl halftime show, British rock band YOU ME AT SIX has an ..." itemprop="description"> LOS ANGELES, Aug. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- With headlines swirling about the NFL allegedly instituting a pay-to-play policy for the 2015 Super Bowl halftime show, British rock band YOU ME AT SIX has an offer for the league, which they outline in the following open letter:

<figure class="cover get-lbdata-from-dom go-to-slideshow-lightbox" id="yui_3_16_0_1_1408637740105_533" data-orig-index="0">View photo

138548</figure>

Dear NFL:

We're sorry to hear that you're in such dire financial straits. While Coldplay and Rihanna mull your offer, we're here to help with a multi-tiered proposal:

1. For $2 Million: We get to play the upcoming halftime show.
  2. For $10 Million, one of us gets to quarterback a set of downs for the team of our choosing.
  3. For $40 Million, the Super Bowl will be played with English football rules, where you must use your feet, and an actual ball.

We look forward to hearing your thoughts once you've had a chance to review. We welcome any of the Super Bowl committee to attend one of our upcoming American concerts. Our tour kicks off September 15th at the Troubadour in Los Angeles, CA.

Warmly,

You Me At Six

(Josh, Dan, Max Chris, Matt)

Should one or all of their offers be accepted, You Me At Six will be playing the Super Bowl XLIX halftime Show in support of new album Cavalier Youth, which hit No. 1 on both Billboard's Heatseekers and the UK charts. Rolling Stone called Cavalier Youth a "confident, modern rock album," and the Guardian praised it for having "the kind of fist-pumping choruses that made the Foo Fighters superstars." You Me At Six recently won "Best British Band" honors at the recent Kerrang! Awards and are currently taking over U.S. airwaves with new single, Room to Breathe

which is top 10 at rock radio and rising. Over the course of the past few years, You Me At Six sold out UK's Wembley Arena, racked up 3 Gold-selling albums and amassed over 20 million combined YouTube/Vevo views and 1.2 million Facebook fans. They recently tore the house down at BBC Radio 1's "Big Weekend" festival in Glasgow, where they shared the bill with Katy Perry, Coldplay, Pharrell, Kings of Leon, Bastille and Lorde.

http://www.youmeatsix.co.uk/

nO.

Not another Murica thing

THERE ARE OTHER CONTINENTS COLDPLAY

so please

get your asses of Murica and do something for them

So yeah, to be honest, I strongly hope this doesn't come true

Not that I have something against Murica or anything

it's just that

No.

It's just good business, North America is by far the biggest recorded and live music market in the world and Coldplay are one of the very few Foreign bands that have been able to tap the market in any significant way. It's where they've generated more income than any other single market (including the UK) throughout their career. They need to maintain their visability there, which is why they do so much.

That's horrible. I hate that fans now have to "purchase" seats on top of the crazy prices for tickets. The Giants aren't the only ones doing that. I think it's because they have to do something to pay these athletes $40-60 MILLION a year. Sad for the real fans, and instead of sports being a family experience, it becomes all about sponsorship.

Actually, licensing fees began (and are typically used) as a means of financing new stadium construction, not as a means of generating direct income for the team in question. They still suck, but basically, it's how Met Life Stadium is getting paid for.

Meanwhile, i've decided on the very off chance that coldplay will play the halftime show i will fly to Phoenix and attend the super bowl.

Mark my words.

Hope you've got a few thousand dollars going spare then!

Sadly, the Super Bowl is a good opportunity for Coldplay to get more promo, especially if they release LP7 early next year or even somehow, late this year. I'm pretty sure if given the opportunity, they would take it. I'm not really a big fan on the "paying to play" portion, though.

:laugh3: I've actually no idea how much a ticket for the super bowl costs

Oh boy, the cheapest price i could find through a very quick google search is around 1800 $. I might need to think twice about that if the situation will come up :D

Sadly, the Super Bowl is a good opportunity for Coldplay to get more promo, especially if they release LP7 early next year or even somehow, late this year. I'm pretty sure if given the opportunity, they would take it. I'm not really a big fan on the "paying to play" portion, though.

Right! My understanding is that the band would love to play @ the Superbowl as it would mean tremendous exposure. But pay for play I don't think they'll do. They don't need it that badly.

They're not really in a position where they need promo though. The promotional push for Ghost Stories was very light, they're not touring in support of it and it still managed to be one of the most commercially successful albums of the year.

Believe me, I LOVE American football, grew up with it, went to the games, tailgated, sat in traffic for 3 hours to go to games, hosted a zillion football Sunday dinners (more about getting together with my friends than anything and we have BACON OFF'S to boot) but I know how commercialized this game is. It is all about the money and the commercials and the money and the money and the money. Do Coldplay need the exposure? Absolutely not And the NFL look like Jack Asses to even ask for this. it's embarrassing to me as a Football fan (stoopid name by the way) It just leaves me with the icky ewwww taste in my mouth

Believe me, I LOVE American football, grew up with it, went to the games, tailgated, sat in traffic for 3 hours to go to games, hosted a zillion football Sunday dinners (more about getting together with my friends than anything and we have BACON OFF'S to boot) but I know how commercialized this game is. It is all about the money and the commercials and the money and the money and the money. Do Coldplay need the exposure? Absolutely not And the NFL look like Jack Asses to even ask for this. it's embarrassing to me as a Football fan (stoopid name by the way) It just leaves me with the icky ewwww taste in my mouth

:thumbsup:!!!

I understand that. Not a huge fan of American football, but I certainly cheered on the Saints after Hurricane Katrina. It's a wonderful excuse to get together with friends and eat and drink and celebrate together.

In fairness, the bulk of the Superbowl audience aren't really football fans either.

• 1 month later...

Well, Katy Perry is out

http://www.thewrap.com/katy-perry-flings-corn-dogs-makes-penis-puns-in-bizarre-espn-appearance-video/

[h=1]Katy Perry Fires Back at NFL Over Super Bowl Halftime Show: I'm Not the Kind of Girl to Pay to Play[/h]

TV | By Travis Reilly on October 4, 2014 @ 10:48 am Follow @mmmtravis

409 585 2

Share1Share0 1758

[email=?subject=Katy%20Perry%20Fires%20Back%20at%20NFL%20Over%20Super%20Bowl%20Halftime%20Show:%20I%27m%20Not%20the%20Kind%20of%20Girl%20to%20Pay%20to%20Play&body=Check%20out:%20http://www.thewrap.com/katy-perry-flings-corn-dogs-makes-penis-puns-in-bizarre-espn-appearance-video/]Email[/email] Print

“Dark Horse” singer answers the league's request during appearance Saturday on ESPN's “College GameDay”

Katy Perry has fired back at the NFL over its “pay to play” request for potential Super Bowl Halftime performers.

“I'm not the kind of girl who would pay to play the Super Bowl,” Perry said during an appearance Saturday morning on ESPN's “College Game Day.”

A report in The Wall Street Journal this past August said the NFL had asked Perry as well as Coldplay and Rihanna if they'd be willing to offer a percentage of their future tour earnings or “some other type of financial contribution” to perform at the big game in February.

Also read: NFL's Super Bowl Halftime Show to Katy Perry, Rihanna and Coldplay: Show Me the Money!

The theory is that the exposure is so great, that artists should pay for some of it.

At the time, the league would neither confirm nor deny the allegations. ”Our only goal with the Pepsi Super Bowl Halftime Show is to put on the best show for the millions of fans who watch,” Joanna Hunter, the NFL's director of corporate communications, told TheWrap. “Our contract arrangements with artists are confidential.”

See video: Dave Franco, Kevin Hart Slap and Rap in Most Annoying Madden NFL Ad Ever Created

Joining ESPN co-hosts Lee Corso and Chris Fowler for some football commentary, Perry turned the guest appearance into a bizarrely entertaining performance.

Every week, Corso and Fowler break down the day's biggest college football games, but they may have been unprepared for what the “Dark Horse” singer was bringing to the table.

Perry, who wore a fuzzy pink jersey and her hair in double buns, couldn't stop playing with corn dogs on a stick that were laid out in front of her. If she wasn't holding them up, the singer was flinging them at the camera.

Also read: Katy Perry Fuels Taylor Swift Feud Speculation With Cryptic ‘Mean Girls’ Tweet

At one point Fowler asked Perry to weigh in on an upcoming game between the University of Oklahoma and Texas Christian University.

“Is this the one that has the cocks in it?” she asked, apparently referring to the University of South Carolina's mascot, The Gamecocks.

“Nope,” the panel responded incredulously.

she's back in!

http://pagesix.com/2014/10/09/katy-perry-to-perform-at-super-bowl-xlix-halftime-show/

exclusive

[h=1]Katy Perry to perform at Super Bowl XLIX[/h] By Ian Mohr and Emily Smith

October 9, 2014 | 8:40pm

Modal Trigger 138400129.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1

Katy Perry Photo: Theo Wargo/Getty Images

Katy Perry will perform at the Super Bowl halftime show, insiders exclusively tell Page Six.

Perry’s been rumored as a contender for the coveted Super Bowl slot, along with Coldplay and Rihanna (whose “Run This Town” was unceremoniously axed by CBS Sports as its Thursday Night Football tune when the season opened). The Super Bowl airs Feb. 1 on NBC.

Modal Triggeralabama_mississippi_football_100113129.jpg?w=300Katy Perry and host Chris Fowler during telecast of ESPN’s College GameDay.Photo: AP Photo

Perry’s certainly been showing enthusiasm for the sport lately — at least at the college level. She appeared on ESPN’s “College GameDay” last weekend in a hot pink-and-black furry jersey, implored Oklahoma quarterback Trevor Knight, “Call me!” and partied with Ole Miss students.

“A deal is being hammered out for Katy to play the Super Bowl,” said an entertainment insider of the plan.

On ESPN, Perry blasted a reported NFL scheme to ask recording stars to pay the league in exchange for performing on its Super Bowl stage, which last year drew a record-setting 111.5 million viewers. “I’m not the kind of girl who would pay to play the Super Bowl,” Perry sniffed. The NFL said its negotiations with artists are confidential.

The halftime show’s sponsored by Pepsi, which has previously worked with Perry to promote her film, “Part of Me,” though she has no official contract with the soda brand. Pepsi CEO Indra Nooyi has rapped the league’s knuckles by calling its player scandals “disgusting.”

And Perry’s bubble-gum pop brand could certainly sweeten the image of a league that’s been rocked by bad press this season over domestic abuse and questions regarding player safety.

Unlike at-times raunchy Rihanna, Perry’s act is family friendly, and the league will surely look to steer well clear of any potential controversies like Janet Jackson’s “wardrobe malfunction” or M.I.A.’s embarrassing bird-flipping incident.

Music trade Billboard has pointed out that Perry, who brings 55.4 million Twitter followers with her, “has a big gap in her tour dates around the Super Bowl,” and could deliver more, bigger hits during an act than last year’s Bruno Mars.

Reps didn’t get back to us.

she's back in!

http://pagesix.com/2014/10/09/katy-perry-to-perform-at-super-bowl-xlix-halftime-show/

Katy Perry to perform at Super Bowl XLIX

By Ian Mohr and Emily Smith

October 9, 2014 | 8:40pm

Modal Trigger 138400129.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1

Katy Perry Photo: Theo Wargo/Getty Images

Katy Perry will perform at the Super Bowl halftime show, insiders exclusively tell Page Six.

Perry’s been rumored as a contender for the coveted Super Bowl slot, along with Coldplay and Rihanna (whose “Run This Town” was unceremoniously axed by CBS Sports as its Thursday Night Football tune when the season opened). The Super Bowl airs Feb. 1 on NBC.

Modal Triggeralabama_mississippi_football_100113129.jpg?w=300Katy Perry and host Chris Fowler during telecast of ESPN’s College GameDay.Photo: AP Photo

Perry’s certainly been showing enthusiasm for the sport lately — at least at the college level. She appeared on ESPN’s “College GameDay” last weekend in a hot pink-and-black furry jersey, implored Oklahoma quarterback Trevor Knight, “Call me!” and partied with Ole Miss students.

“A deal is being hammered out for Katy to play the Super Bowl,” said an entertainment insider of the plan.

On ESPN, Perry blasted a reported NFL scheme to ask recording stars to pay the league in exchange for performing on its Super Bowl stage, which last year drew a record-setting 111.5 million viewers. “I’m not the kind of girl who would pay to play the Super Bowl,” Perry sniffed. The NFL said its negotiations with artists are confidential.

The halftime show’s sponsored by Pepsi, which has previously worked with Perry to promote her film, “Part of Me,” though she has no official contract with the soda brand. Pepsi CEO Indra Nooyi has rapped the league’s knuckles by calling its player scandals “disgusting.”

And Perry’s bubble-gum pop brand could certainly sweeten the image of a league that’s been rocked by bad press this season over domestic abuse and questions regarding player safety.

Unlike at-times raunchy Rihanna, Perry’s act is family friendly, and the league will surely look to steer well clear of any potential controversies like Janet Jackson’s “wardrobe malfunction” or M.I.A.’s embarrassing bird-flipping incident.

Music trade Billboard has pointed out that Perry, who brings 55.4 million Twitter followers with her, “has a big gap in her tour dates around the Super Bowl,” and could deliver more, bigger hits during an act than last year’s Bruno Mars.

Reps didn’t get back to us.