✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

NFL to Coldplay: Pay to Play the Super Bowl

gai

NFL to Coldplay: Pay to Play the Super Bowl

NFL Receives Chilly Reception From Artists Under Consideration for 2015 Halftime Show

BN-EE121_halfti_G_20140819115520.jpg

The National Football League doesn't usually pay the act that performs at halftime during the Super Bowl. But in a twist this year, the league has asked artists under consideration for the high-profile gig to pay to play, according people familiar with the matter.

The NFL has narrowed down the list of potential performers for the 2015 Super Bowl to three candidates: Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Coldplay, these people said. While notifying the artists' camps of their candidacy, league representatives also asked at least some of the acts if they would be willing to contribute a portion of their post-Super Bowl tour income to the league, or if they would make some other type of financial contribution, in exchange for the halftime gig.

The pay-to-play suggestion got a chilly reception from the candidates' representatives, these people said.

NFL spokeswoman Joanna Hunter said the league's contracts with performers were confidential and that its only goal was "to put on the best possible show."

As for the lineup, she said, "when we have something to announce, we'll announce it." Super Bowl XLIX is to be played outside Phoenix on Feb. 1.

It's unclear how much money the NFL was seeking, and whether it would likely have amounted to more or less than the extra income the chosen performer might stand to generate from the exposure. No decision has been made yet and it is possible another act could be selected.

The Super Bowl halftime show, which this year featured the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Bruno Mars, drew a record 115.3 million viewers in February, according to the NFL, more than the game itself. The entire event averaged 112.2 million viewers, according to Nielsen. That was more than double the size of the audience for the Academy Awards this year, more than triple the audience for this year's Grammy Awards and more than 11 times the size of MTV's most recent Video Music Awards.

The show has always been among the most valuable promotional opportunities for the music industry, and in recent years some performers have put tickets for their tours on sale immediately following their appearance on the field, to capitalize on the exposure. Beyoncé announced her "Mrs. Carter Show" tour immediately following her halftime performance in 2013, for example, and the world tour grossed more than any other that year besides Bon Jovi's, according to trade publication Pollstar. Bruno Mars also put tickets to his "Moonshine Jungle" tour on sale the Monday after the game this year.

CD and download sales also typically get a temporary boost during the week following the artist's Super Bowl performance.

But it is impossible to know what percentage of an artist's concert ticket and album buyers were inspired by the halftime show. The impact is likely to be more significant for an up-and-coming artist such as Bruno Mars than for established stars such as Rihanna, Katy Perry and Coldplay, promoters say. Ms. Perry, for example, sold 92% of the tickets to the concerts she headlined from May to July, grossing more than $36 million, according to Pollstar. Rihanna grossed $141.9 million on 90 shows around the world in 2013; Coldplay grossed $171.3 million on 67 global dates on their last tour in 2012, according to Pollstar.

The NFL typically covers the halftime performers' travel and production expenses, which can run well into the millions. PepsiCo Inc. PEP +0.02% will be the title sponsor of the show for the third consecutive year in 2015, but doesn't "sign or work any deals with the talent selected," said a Pepsi spokeswoman.

link

wow! a lot of people want to see coldplay play super bowl, but them paying to play a show?! a little too greedy are we NFL?

nO.

Not another Murica thing

THERE ARE OTHER CONTINENTS COLDPLAY

so please

get your asses of Murica and do something for them

So yeah, to be honest, I strongly hope this doesn't come true

Not that I have something against Murica or anything

it's just that

No.

Ughhhh This just adds to the NFL's greediness.

So my father in law had season Tickets to the NY Giants for 4O years, a fan from the beginning. He could not wait for the home games every Fall and Winter Sunday. It was a great bonding time for him and his family and friends. A few years ago, someone had the bright idea to charge a licensing fee to these season pass tickets. I think the license was you had to buy the seat for $20,000 each and then you had to buy the season pass. The actual ticket to the game was not included. If you did not buy the license, you gave up your seat to be sold to someone else. He had 7 seats. So they wanted $140,000 American Dollars and then he had to buy the ticket for each game. It broke his heart to give up those seats.

i think there will be newer bands/artists who can do with more exposure and have the financial backing for this. but a seasoned band like coldplay doesn't 'need' it. also, since coldplay haven't toured this album, i don't think they will spend money to play a gig even if they wanted to.

Ughhhh This just adds to the NFL's greediness.

So my father in law had season Tickets to the NY Giants for 4O years, a fan from the beginning. He could not wait for the home games every Fall and Winter Sunday. It was a great bonding time for him and his family and friends. A few years ago, someone had the bright idea to charge a licensing fee to these season pass tickets. I think the license was you had to buy the seat for $20,000 each and then you had to buy the season pass. The actual ticket to the game was not included. If you did not buy the license, you gave up your seat to be sold to someone else. He had 7 seats. So they wanted $140,000 American Dollars and then he had to buy the ticket for each game. It broke his heart to give up those seats.

That's horrible. I hate that fans now have to "purchase" seats on top of the crazy prices for tickets. The Giants aren't the only ones doing that. I think it's because they have to do something to pay these athletes $40-60 MILLION a year. Sad for the real fans, and instead of sports being a family experience, it becomes all about sponsorship.

As an American who is a guilty follower of the NFL ( a lifelong fan Coldplay and of the Denver Broncos, yes, the team that was obliterated last winter in the Super Bowl,) I don't want to see Coldplay do this. The NFL is about as corporate as you can get, and I don't usually support their ethics pertaining to player safety, drug use, sexual assault, sponsorship etc.

Coldplay is certainly big enough and put out the hits, and they have the spectacle to boot, but they are just too nice. Superbowl performances recently have been brash, cocky, flashy and in in the last few years, incredibly pop oriented. I miss the years of The Who, Tom Petty, Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Prince, but to me Coldplay doesn't fit into that category, and I don't want them to fall into the newer pop oriented shows of Black Eyed Peas, Bruno Mars, Beyonce etc (groups that hardly even write their own music.)

Coldplay just isn't a Superbowl band for me. On one end, they are not your typical rockers, but not quite your typical pop stars either. I despise Katy Perry as an artist, but she would be a better fit in my opinion. Like American Football, she revels in overly stereotyping her gender, being only business driven, and being extremely flashy and over the top.

NO, just no. The entire super bowl is nothing but a glorified commercial. Coldplay isn't a commercial band, and they certaintly aren't a super bowl band, and a majority of those watching could care less.

And ask the band to pay to perform? Stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I have dreamed of seeing Coldplay do the Super Bowl halftime show... this is amazing that they're in the final three! The pay to play thing is really stupid, but I hope this all gets sorted out because I would absolutely love to see them play. Especially if my Panthers make it... I can't even imagine the Panthers and Coldplay (two things I love more than anything) at the same Super Bowl!

As an American who is a guilty follower of the NFL ( a lifelong fan Coldplay and of the Denver Broncos, yes, the team that was obliterated last winter in the Super Bowl,) I don't want to see Coldplay do this. The NFL is about as corporate as you can get, and I don't usually support their ethics pertaining to player safety, drug use, sexual assault, sponsorship etc.

Coldplay is certainly big enough and put out the hits, and they have the spectacle to boot, but they are just too nice. Superbowl performances recently have been brash, cocky, flashy and in in the last few years, incredibly pop oriented. I miss the years of The Who, Tom Petty, Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Prince, but to me Coldplay doesn't fit into that category, and I don't want them to fall into the newer pop oriented shows of Black Eyed Peas, Bruno Mars, Beyonce etc (groups that hardly even write their own music.)

Coldplay just isn't a Superbowl band for me. On one end, they are not your typical rockers, but not quite your typical pop stars either. I despise Katy Perry as an artist, but she would be a better fit in my opinion. Like American Football, she revels in overly stereotyping her gender, being only business driven, and being extremely flashy and over the top.

I know a bit about superbowl as I once have lived in the city where Seahawks fans are always mad about the game :lol: :P, I would have to agree with you too. When Coldplay starting to be called as a commercial band, I feel they are not mainstream anymore which I'm not looking forward to! I hope Coldplay wont do this. Plus, they have been playing too frequent in America (as they should perform more in Europe, Asia, and other continents too), making the band becomes more well-known and long-last existed for more than 14 years of their career. I hope Coldplay will consider more of LP7 than this....

This pay to play thing seems rather pointless to me

Superbowl performances recently have been brash, cocky, flashy [...] I miss the years of The Who, Tom Petty, Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Prince

I despise Katy Perry as an artist, but she would be a better fit in my opinion. Like American Football, she revels in overly stereotyping her gender [...] and being extremely flashy and over the top.

I'm smelling some irony here.