✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[X10Y] Speed Of Sound

Going to make one X10Y thread for all of the 'Speed Of Sound' events, as they happened, 10 year ago :)

Today was a big day for the 1st single off 'X&Y', as it was released as a single, with the B-side: 'Things I Don't Understand' and the official music video also debuted later in the night.

[video=youtube;0k_1kvDh2UA]

'Speed Of Sound' was the featured video on this iTunes ad :)

[video=youtube;zlSwjGBhZx4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlSwjGBhZx4

The promo push was HUGE. At that time, particularly in the UK, you could hear 'Speed Of Sound' everywhere! Shopping centres, restaurants, TV programs, even on people's ringtones, you just could not escape the song :D

Not forgetting, the anthem smashed a US record, for the first time since 'Hey Jude' by The Beatles, in reaching the top 10 Billboard singles, at #8

The week following the song's release and the band are set for a battle to the UK #1 spot, with the viral ringtone....The Crazy Frog! *more to follow this week*

• Love 1

Coldplay-23723.jpg

[h=1]Crazy Frog was outselling ‘Speed Of Sound’ by 4 to 1 :dozey::shocked2:[/h]

Coldplay look likely to be beaten to the Number One spot this week by a song originally designed as a ringtone.

According to music retailer HMV, Crazy Frog’s ‘Axel F’ is outselling ‘Speed Of Sound’ by a 4 to 1 margin in their stores.

Chart expert Gennaro Castaldo said: “Music purists might not be too happy at the prospect of the Crazy Frog outselling Coldplay, but it shouldn’t come as that much of a surprise when you consider its huge novelty appeal and the massive amount of exposure its currently getting.

Kids obviously find it cute and cool, but students and even office workers seem to be drawn to its rather kitsch, ironic appeal. The only real issue is whether the record label can press enough copies to keep up with the huge demand that we’re seeing right now.”

Coldplay were previously beaten to the number one spot by Pop Idol runner up, Darius when In My Place was released, back in 2002.

That pesky Frog!

image.jpg

If you notice, I went for the pic that's missing a little something...

• 2 weeks later...

Aw man! I remember that damn Crazy Frog song. It was EVERYWHERE!

I sure regret the fact that 11-year-old me wasn't acquainted with Coldplay, they didn't start hitting it big in Egypt until Viva La Vida was out (circa 2009-ish), then it was cool to listen to them. But I only started listening to them like last year. :D

Although I got introduced to them by Ghost stories, X&Y made its way right there at the top of my favorite all-time album list. I recommend it to anyone just getting to know Coldplay.

Thanks for the research effort, Sparky!

Aw man! I remember that damn Crazy Frog song. It was EVERYWHERE!

I sure regret the fact that 11-year-old me wasn't acquainted with Coldplay, they didn't start hitting it big in Egypt until Viva La Vida was out (circa 2009-ish), then it was cool to listen to them. But I only started listening to them like last year. :D

Although I got introduced to them by Ghost stories, X&Y made its way right there at the top of my favorite all-time album list. I recommend it to anyone just getting to know Coldplay.

Thanks for the research effort, Sparky!

Same here, monicab! :) I remember when we used the Crazy Frog song as our music for a dance presentation in school. :D I also regret the fact that I only knew about Coldplay just this previous year, enticed by the same song Viva La Vida.

Indeed, X&Y was great, especially the single Speed Of Sound, for it is my favorite among all the songs in the said album. X&Y is definitely worth listening. :)

Thanks for sharing your wonderful insight, monicab! And to Sparky as well for reminding how remarkable the X&Y era was. :)

• Like 1

• 6 years later...