✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What is your Favourite Coldplay Song and why?

Osaka Sun

i honestly have tonnes of faves - so many that i cant choose just one to be my sole fave

so one of my favourites is ink:

its by far my fave song from ghost stories and cheers me up whenever i need it, the melody played by the guitar throughout makes the whole song more uplifting and paired with the chord progression throughout the song it gives a unique and new feel

- osaka sun xoxo

• Like 1

My favorite song by Coldplay, and ever, will always be Up With The Birds. As far as closers go it's definitely the best ever. It brings tears to my eyes every time. The opening starts off nice and calm. Very unique, and it just sounds so beautiful. Then unpredictably if it was the first time you ever heard it, it blows up into this massive flood of sound, and thus a flood of emotion: sadness, happyness, epicness, just everything right into one. And it ends off perfectly with

"Send me up to that wonderful world

...And then I'm up with the birds"

There's literally no better way that part could have ended. It reminds me of death, but in a more uplifting way, like that. It makes me cry when I think of others in my life that I love so much that have gone up to that wonderful world and thus "up with the birds". And that's how that part descends into a beautiful minimalist section with strings playing single times and then pausing for a while. They weren't afraid of some silences in that part, and that's good. It's the part where you think over what you just listened to and the emotions that came through it. Then, after a bit, the beautiful guitar part floats in, playing one of the most beautiful yet simple melodies I've ever heard. A few other instruments begin to play as Chris speaks lyrics that are so personal to me and yet again make me tear up. For the first time in the song, the drums kick in as the singer mentions beautiful, hopeful lyrics that are so powerful yet so simple:

"A simple plot, but I know one day, good things are coming our way"

It's the simple fact. No matter what, things will get better. We should never give up in life, as one day we will be happy. And one day, we will all be sent up "to that wonderful world" where good things are all that exist. We will be back at last with the ones in our life who have passed away, and that day will definitely come for all of us. And we will all be sooooooo happy when it happens. And this song for me really reminds me of that.

Then, the very best part made in all of music comes in: the "yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" which is so emotional for me, dropping off along with all of the other instruments into an absolutely beauteous piano finish, which plays the most beautiful sequence of notes that have ever and will ever exist. It makes me cry every time. Of joy, happiness, sadness, everything, There's literally nothing wrong with this song. I'm almost tearing up just thinking about it. I love how it's actually kind of sad at the beginning, then takes a joyous turn through a seamless transition into a beautiful hopeful section. Just, the way the song's put together, they hit it bang on. The production is amazing. The lyrics are amazing. The emotional content and the goosebump factor of this song is sky high. This is what I call "the perfect song". I don't think anything nearly as good will ever be made (there are normal "songs" that can be really good, but this is on a completely different level, it shouldn't even be called a "song" anymore, it's too good for that). If someone somehow manages to make a better song than this then they will get the entire world from me because that is a feat. Something that I once thought would have been impossible.

An absolutely gorgeous closer, the best song ever made, to finish off in my opinion the best album ever made. That's how to finish off an album. Well done Coldplay.

Rating: Infinite stars out of 5.

• Like 8

• 1 year later...

VIVA LA VIDA

Its allways in my top 3, and its was my favourite song for quite a lobg time.

But now i love it even more. Its such a radiating song, gives you so much energy.

The bass is so good, its the secret of the chorus. And in the part of the oooo's the drum and the bass give such rythm to it

The vocals are so energetic.

The strings and keys are so rythmic too.

Plus, i get nostalgia from spring and it makes me feel like its all ok.

• Like 3

Politik

After I saw Coldplay for the first time during the summer of 2016, it made me want to become a bigger fan since I only knew some of their songs. I didn't even know Politik but I was looking up a list of the best Coldplay songs ever online and it was first. Above all the hits. So I looked it up on YouTube and watched the Live 2003 version. I was blown away. Like a roller coaster, it started out deceptively slow but then drew into this cathedral of sound, the strobe lights echoing the drum beats and Chris singing “open up your eyes,” ending in an epic crescendo as love triumphed and the piano’s finality resounded like stained glass windows opening. I didn’t let the song end there, listening to it until morning. I don't think I've ever been so impressed by a live performance. The next morning I had to volunteer at a summer camp but I used up all my data watching it again as I walked there. I even wrote all the lyrics on the back of a shirt (which I was too embarrassed to actually wear much haha). But then eventually I decided to listen to all of Coldplay's songs and become a big fan and then I found this place. And without Politik maybe none of that would have happened.

Also I'm happy that someone made a thread like this! Always wondered why I'd never seen one just talking about everyone's favorite Coldplay song with so many threads.

• Like 2

I have many favorites (DLIBYH, Violet Hill, Everglow, In My Place) but the best of the best will always be The Scientist. It reminds me of my happy times, the sad times and the struggles. The ending is very touching

• Like 1

Clocks

It was the first song I remember of Coldplay. I have loved Clocks since before I became a mega Coldplay fan. I've listened to it hundreds of times, and still it remains my favorite song ever, beyond Coldplay. The emotion behind the song is unbelievable, and even still I am amazed how such a simple riff can be so powerful.

The studio version brings a huge sense of nostalgia to me, and live version is a completely different song, IMO. Listening to Clocks live is an insane experience.

I could go on and on about the emotions I feel listening to the song, but I'll just leave it at this-

I have never connected with a song more than Clocks, and it is the best song I've ever heard in my life.

• Like 3

Clocks

It was the first song I remember of Coldplay. I have loved Clocks since before I became a mega Coldplay fan. I've listened to it hundreds of times, and still it remains my favorite song ever, beyond Coldplay. The emotion behind the song is unbelievable, and even still I am amazed how such a simple riff can be so powerful.

The studio version brings a huge sense of nostalgia to me, and live version is a completely different song, IMO. Listening to Clocks live is an insane experience.

I could go on and on about the emotions I feel listening to the song, but I'll just leave it at this-

I have never connected with a song more than Clocks, and it is the best song I've ever heard in my life.

You are 100% right that the live version of Clocks is an insane experience. I was close to the stage for one of the shows last August and while every single song was totally amazing, I was literally entranced by the Clocks performance. With the red lasers going and being able to watch Chris on the piano, it's like it sucked me in to its own world. I almost can't come up with the correct words to describe it. It was like I was literally sucked into my own little world of just me and the band and I am pretty sure I was just standing there with my mouth wide open for most of the song, just completely and utterly mesmerized. A feeling I'd never experienced before, it was a-maz-ing!

• Like 2

You are 100% right that the live version of Clocks is an insane experience. I was close to the stage for one of the shows last August and while every single song was totally amazing, I was literally entranced by the Clocks performance. With the red lasers going and being able to watch Chris on the piano, it's like it sucked me in to its own world. I almost can't come up with the correct words to describe it. It was like I was literally sucked into my own little world of just me and the band and I am pretty sure I was just standing there with my mouth wide open for most of the song, just completely and utterly mesmerized. A feeling I'd never experienced before, it was a-maz-ing!

Totally agree, I was more just mesmerized by it haha.

Although, I found it disappointing that Chris lip synced Clocks the entire tour. It didn't have the same feeling to it. Nothing will top Toronto 2006 Clocks, for me.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Oh my... I can't recall visiting this thread but I must have done it as I've liked few posts here...

Mine is Amsterdam.

I can really relate to the lyrics because I feel like the song is about me. I've imagined myself as a protagonist who tries to find a way out of whatever mess he's in. Even though these days I don't feel low or unwanted as much as before which was very horrible because it just dragged me down, I've learnt to embrace my bad and unpleasant experiences and turn them into something I can learn a lesson from. It has also given me the idea of taking matters into my own hands if I truly want to live my own life and not let anybody tell me how I ought to live as I have no wish to become an image of someone else. Although Amsterdam is not really about this, for me it's a self-empowerment song. However, I perceive the ending as a message which expresses hope that there's someone looking out and waiting for me who might be destined to cross their path with me...

• Like 1