• Replies 84.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crests

• TraceOddity

• Matter-Eater Lad

• ivet

I'm 18 and I'm already having a life crisis. It feels as though everyone is going forward, my choices (despite being "technically" good) are pushing my back.

Everyone is becoming a doctor or engineer, and I'm studying English. I love it, but all I hear is that I'm going to fail and end up unemployed with a lot of debt and not a lot to live for.

:disappointed:

I'm 18 and I'm already having a life crisis. It feels as though everyone is going forward, my choices (despite being "technically" good) are pushing my back.

Everyone is becoming a doctor or engineer, and I'm studying English. I love it, but all I hear is that I'm going to fail and end up unemployed with a lot of debt and not a lot to live for.

Don't say that! You're gonna study English and you're gonna be great!! You will have lots to live for!! You love it, fuck everyone else.

Hey, cheer up :), you're hardly out of the starting gate! Just look at the need for English teachers, editors of technical journals, translators, and there are some future jobs out there! Try and gauge the demand properly, then decide - I wonder, since there's been downward emphasis on English majors, perhaps the need may be significant in the future?

If you major in English and get your teaching degree, you might land the English teaching job, or teach at another level and simply be great with language skills, which then translates into better communication with students, improving their language skills as well.

Or perhaps if you choose a double major in English and let's say Farsi or Arabic or Chinese, you may discover a larger universe of opportunities opening up to you!

Or a double major in English and Chemistry for example could lead to a career in producing information on given chemicals, whereas a double major in English and Biology may land you a job in writing biology books, or some facet related to that line of work.

On the balance, it's a good combination to have with other majors, and may be in higher demand in the future, depending on the level of entrants.