✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Englishs?

Sternly

"Here are a couple of generalizations about England... One is that the english are not gifted artistically. They are not as musical as the Germans or Italians, painting and sculpture have never flourished in England as they have in France. Another is that, as Europeans go, the English are not intellectual. They have a horror of abstract thought, they feel no need for any philosophy or systematic 'world-view'. Nor is this because they are 'practical', as they are so fond on claiming. One has only to look at their methods of town-planning and water-supply... a spelling system that defies analysis and a sistem of weights and measures that is intelligible only to the compilers of arithmetic books, to see how little they care about mere efficiency..."

Is that true, or was it? and what does the last 7 lines mean? I understand what it means, not why they say it...... about the town planning and the water supply, and I understand the things about the measurement system, but not really in the way they say it.

And that's an essay I'm reading, it's called "England your England"

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another is that, as Europeans go, the English are not intellectual. They have a horror of abstract thought, they feel no need for any philosophy or systematic 'world-view'. Nor is this because they are 'practical', as they are so fond on claiming.

Well, about that. I think that the intellect over the world doesn't depend of the race or the nationality. I think that countries as France, Germany and Italy had all that big Intellect because of their culture and politics not of their race :/ Such as France a country with an open mind to other cultures and new ideas... AND England wasn't the exception... I mean, scientists like Sir Isaac Newton (The father of the physics), philosophers and thinkers like John Locke and Shakespeare :idea2:

it's a load of bollocks

a spelling system that defies analysis and a sistem of weights and measures that is intelligible only to the compilers of arithmetic books

i don't see why this should bother people at all. as long as we know our measurement systems and our apparently "impractical" language, and we are comfortable using them, then I don't see why anyone else should have a problem with us using them.

England is culturally very different to most other European countries, but does that make us an unintelligent country with shit culture? Absolutely not.

@ jewl ; Britain is England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Best selling book around the world:

Harry Potter

And who wrote it? J.K. Rowling

Where's she from? England

Best bands of all time:

Beatles, radiohead, oasis, coldplay...

Where are they from?

England

Hottest chicks:

Kate Beckinsale, Joss stone

Where are they from?

England

Best festival in the world:

Glastonbury

And where's that?

England

Crappiest country in the world:

Chile

Not england.

And we can't forget about Mr. Bean. The funniest character ever. :cool:

Harry Potter

Flase, is the Bible

Hottest chicks:

Where are they from?

England

Cameron Diaz from USA

Penelope Cruz from Spain

Nelly Furtado and Avril Lavigne from Canada

:blush: Nelly is hot :blush: and soo Beautiful too :sneaky:

Harry Potter

Flase, is the Bible

Hottest chicks:

Where are they from?

England

Cameron Diaz from USA

Penelope Cruz from Spain

Nelly Furtado and Avril Lavigne from Canada

:blush: Nelly is hot :blush: and soo Beautiful too :sneaky:

damn, you're right.

But meh, the bible isn't as intense as harry potter.

And woop, you like avril too. *high-fives*