✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Englishs?

Sternly

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I was just trying to be like Eric. He thinks Australian's don't know anything, for example who Nelly Furtado is. Notice the "rolling of eyes" at the end. I don't think you are all stuck up Brian, and I should of made it clearer, but I was just trying to prove a point. :)

And Eric, trust you to refer back to America's status as far as power goes, instead of just answering my question: why you said "fuck Australia". :angry:

So go ahead and answer it.

"Here are a couple of generalizations about England... One is that the english are not gifted artistically. They are not as musical as the Germans or Italians' date=' painting and sculpture have never flourished in England as they have in France. Another is that, as Europeans go, the English are not intellectual. They have a horror of abstract thought, they feel no need for any philosophy or systematic 'world-view'. Nor is this because they are 'practical', as they are so fond on claiming. One has only to look at their methods of town-planning and water-supply... a spelling system that defies analysis and a system of weights and measures that is intelligible only to the compilers of arithmetic books, to see how little they care about mere efficiency..."[/quote']

Heheh shame I got to this post after the kids ripped it apart...

Just to clarify...

UK = England, Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland

Great Britain (Britain) = England, Scotland, Wales

The 1st line of that paragraph basically renders the rest of it useless..."Here are a couple of generalizations about England..." Which is what they are, generalizations, you can say "Generally woman are bad drivers" "Generally black people cause trouble" While it may be true in some cases, it doesn't make it 100% true.

Art - We had Constable, we had Turner, both producing wonderful paintings of the English countryside...

Music - Classically one of the most recent is Gustav Holst, the guy who composed the Planet Suite, we have the London Philamonic Orchestra, we have music that sells worldwide Oasis, The Beatles, The Rolling stones to name a few...oh and Coldplay...

Poetry - We had "the Bard" Shakespeare, we had Bacon, Wordsworth

Literature - Again Shakespeare, Chaucer (believed by many to be the father of Modern English), Oscar Wilde to name a few

Science - Isaac Newton, Humphrey Davy, George Stevenson plus many more...if we have no abstract thought, how did these guys even succeed...

Philosophy - We had Sir Francis Bacon, Thomas Hobbes, John Locke (whos ideas are believed to have helped write the US constitution)..there aren't a lack of philosophers here.

As for English towns, I'll give you that :) They are indeed a mess of mazes, alleys, winding roads..but this is how England was formed, isolated villages that were slowly built upon over time, a lot of the roadways in England essentially just overlay the old cattle routes or horse routes...we never had the chance to make efficient cities like in the US where they had a clean slate to start on.

Spelling - yup it's a pain sometimes...why doesn't Bough, Cough, Through rhyme hehe, but in some ways it's easy too, we have no dative or accusative like in german or french, we have no gender for objects, it's just the/a/my etc, we only have 1 form of you. English is a bastardised form of latin and german with scandinavian thrown in...

Weights and measures - when you understand it, it makes sense, if you don't understand it and use metric, then don't worry about it...it seems only 2 countries even use imperial anymore, US and UK (Do canada?) Unfortunately for the metric world that's the number 1 and 4 country in the world, so we have some power :) Hence oil prices are determined by the gallon, ships speeds are measured in knots etc. It's the system we know...I can give you my height in feet, and my weight in pounds, but ask me for metres and kg and I'll struggle.

yup Great Britain existed before the UK did, in 1536 England joined Wales to form England (ner ner welsh ppl :P), in 1707 Scotland joined to form Great Britain and in 1800 Ireland joined to form the United kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, consequently in 1922 the republic of Ireland was formed and removed itself from the UK, leaving it to be known as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

^^ Doogie always has a history lesson to teach us :stunned:

hehe nah, i knew the 1st two parts from school, had to read up on the last 2 parts when Ireland joined and left again :)

Technically Britain was formed in the early 1600's when King James VI of scotland became King James I of England too, and the Stewart period began...but nothing i dont think was ever signed :D

painting and sculpture have never flourished in England as they have in France

obviously a frenchman wrote that

:idea2:

how do u know that Eric?

i always thought england and france never got along...

but hey who likes france anyway

haha sorry there must be a bunch of french people on here but whatever

"Here are a couple of generalizations about England... One is that the english are not gifted artistically. They are not as musical as the Germans or Italians' date=' painting and sculpture have never flourished in England as they have in France. Another is that, as Europeans go, the English are not intellectual. They have a horror of abstract thought, they feel no need for any philosophy or systematic 'world-view'. Nor is this because they are 'practical', as they are so fond on claiming. One has only to look at their methods of town-planning and water-supply... a spelling system that defies analysis and a system of weights and measures that is intelligible only to the compilers of arithmetic books, to see how little they care about mere efficiency..."[/quote']

Heheh shame I got to this post after the kids ripped it apart...

Just to clarify...

UK = England, Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland

Great Britain (Britain) = England, Scotland, Wales

The 1st line of that paragraph basically renders the rest of it useless..."Here are a couple of generalizations about England..." Which is what they are, generalizations, you can say "Generally woman are bad drivers" "Generally black people cause trouble" While it may be true in some cases, it doesn't make it 100% true.

Art - We had Constable, we had Turner, both producing wonderful paintings of the English countryside...

Music - Classically one of the most recent is Gustav Holst, the guy who composed the Planet Suite, we have the London Philamonic Orchestra, we have music that sells worldwide Oasis, The Beatles, The Rolling stones to name a few...oh and Coldplay...

Poetry - We had "the Bard" Shakespeare, we had Bacon, Wordsworth

Literature - Again Shakespeare, Chaucer (believed by many to be the father of Modern English), Oscar Wilde to name a few

Science - Isaac Newton, Humphrey Davy, George Stevenson plus many more...if we have no abstract thought, how did these guys even succeed...

Philosophy - We had Sir Francis Bacon, Thomas Hobbes, John Locke (whos ideas are believed to have helped write the US constitution)..there aren't a lack of philosophers here.

As for English towns, I'll give you that :) They are indeed a mess of mazes, alleys, winding roads..but this is how England was formed, isolated villages that were slowly built upon over time, a lot of the roadways in England essentially just overlay the old cattle routes or horse routes...we never had the chance to make efficient cities like in the US where they had a clean slate to start on.

Spelling - yup it's a pain sometimes...why doesn't Bough, Cough, Through rhyme hehe, but in some ways it's easy too, we have no dative or accusative like in german or french, we have no gender for objects, it's just the/a/my etc, we only have 1 form of you. English is a bastardised form of latin and german with scandinavian thrown in...

Weights and measures - when you understand it, it makes sense, if you don't understand it and use metric, then don't worry about it...it seems only 2 countries even use imperial anymore, US and UK (Do canada?) Unfortunately for the metric world that's the number 1 and 4 country in the world, so we have some power :) Hence oil prices are determined by the gallon, ships speeds are measured in knots etc. It's the system we know...I can give you my height in feet, and my weight in pounds, but ask me for metres and kg and I'll struggle.

Wow....... well, I don't sound as convincing as you, neither will I, but first who wrote it is an English man, to clarify that, and he wrote it on the 40's, around 1930-1940, I don't know the exact date. George Orwell wrote it, and well he was born in India, but lived a long time in Britain, and we consider him British.

When you talk about music, by the years, you can see he's obviously not talking about Oasis and suchs. As I see it, Britain was not a place where music was made, such as France and Italy. They were genneralizations, as you said, and there are some expection, but mainly, and that's how I see it too, England was a place were music was played and reproduced, but not 'made'.

Art, well again, the same as music; yuou might have good painters, so do we (Matta for instance), but they could be called 'exceptions'. I don't know how you see it, but what I see and I've studied, is that England is a place to sell things, and show them, not to make them. There wasn't anything such as the movements in France, Spain and Italy, mainly.

I don't know much about Art really, but in the Opera, you can easily tell when it's "Italian made" or "French made" or even German... but there isn't anything such as "British made". What I mean after all, is that you don't have a style of your own, I believe.

Science.... well, I will not comment on that. And philosophy, well I've only read French writers, so for me philosophy is a synonim of France, but because of your language, you should have some good ones. I will not comment on that either.

I have no clue why they things about English; it looks much simpler to me than Spanish, even though, I can't speak it or write it properly, but that's another problem.