✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Martin: Band Aid Was Bad Idea

Mimixxx

Coldplay star Chris Martin thinks the new version of charity single Do They Know It' Christmas? is a "tremendously bad idea" and only agreed to sing on the track after watching a report on refugees in Sudan's Darfur province.

The Yellow singer was horrified by plans to make a Band Aid 20 version of the 1984 classic, but changed his mind when he realised Travis star Fran Healy was joining the cause, which will raise money for African famine victims.

He explains: "My first reaction was that this was a tremendously bad idea, the cheesiest thing I'd ever heard.

"A couple of weeks went past and I was told Fran was doing it, which made it more interesting. Then I watched the news and saw a report on Darfur. I decided there and then that I was going to do this. I was genuinely moved."

http://www.examiner.ie/breaking/2004/11/23/story177152.html

i think it was a bad idea to record the same song...it's like we've not progressed and aren't capable of thinking of anything new, 20 years later...although, i highly agree that, having the power to create a single, even if it is cheesey..that will make lots of money to help dying people, is good. And i bought it :)

The headline's wrong. Chris doesn't say it's a bad idea like he had regret joining the band. He's changed his mind later.

That's the press for you though....always twisting words :dozey: :rolleyes:

there's nothing wrong. the headline says, band aid WAS bad idea. which means, it no longer is. it makes perfect sense to me...

i think it was a bad idea to record the same song...it's like we've not progressed and aren't capable of thinking of anything new' date=' 20 years later...although, i highly agree that, having the power to create a single, even if it is cheesey..that will make lots of money to help dying people, is good. And i bought it :)[/quote']

*I'd still rather "re-buy" a copy of the original!! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm sure Chris Martin does a lot of great things for charity, but how can he justify flying around between gigs in his private jet? Doesn't he know the damage it's doing? Of course, he's not the only star with his own jet and Beyonce hiring a plane to take only her luggage to South Africa is even worse. But anyone who tries to be socially responsible shouldn't set such a bad example.