✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Life After Death

Guest DavidG

Everytime I try to start one of these threads people totally ignore me! (Then again the last time was about half a year ago, and I did it a bit too consistently)

Aaanyway. Life, after this one? It does make me wonder eternally.

Is this life even real? It could be a simulation, it may not even matter to anyone. The universe will have expanded by about 20 million miles by the time you read this post, and 1 billion in the next hour, obviously its impossible to be able to even have some vague estimate in the billions of years this universe has been around, how big it actually is. But on our tiny little planet, a petty thousand or two miles wide, why could we even matter to anyone? Surely "spaceships" have flew past our little ass-end of nowhere planet and laughed at our existence. They fly past us, at 30000000000mph, sometimes if they slow down 80 thousand gears we are able to see a flicker of light in our sky.

OK sorry, I just love analysing how tiny and pathetic this world is. If youre still reading, well done. Onto the afterlife...

My belief is that the afterlife is like a dream. What you believe consciously about where you will end up after you die is what will happen, this is what I believe. If a woman believes she will just appear on a cloud after she croaks, everything will be white, her grandkids will be on another cloud, if thats in the back of her mind, her image of what will happen, thats what will become of her (Within her own conscience).

But, sooner or later, within this afterlife, you'd begin to realise that when you talk to your Dream kid, or your Dream father, your not actually interacting with them are you? Its like having a dream tonight about meeting your long lost brother, you'll wake up and it wont feel real or relevant. Within this life, will things become irrelevant? I'd be in my afterlife, interacting with people who arent real, and they are probably talking and acting towards me as how I want them to, so whats the point in that?

I s'pose its only real if you dont believe its a dream. In that case, Im screwed for my afterlife, and so is Einstein (Who apparently is the first person to prove that this theory could be a possible afterlife, him being the first I find a little hard to believe, but at least he did prove this theory).

I really want to believe in Moody's theories. This guy has interviewed many people who have had near death experiences, and has reviewed and researched other interviews that have been made in the last couple centuries. New cases that seem to be arising is a feeling of complete knowledge of life developing quickly, which is a promising case. It coincides with many religions theories or hints that "All truths will be revealed in the afterlife" (Which was actually STATED in the Christian Bible). If this was true, then there would actually be some sort of meaning to our lives, which would be incredibly surprising.

The book Life After Death has a religion field of discipline and the Library of Congress category is Eschatology, published by many different others collectively based around many universities blah blah blah. Anyway, this one chapter interested me, Rosalind Heywood's pondering on the possibility of the afterlife being an illusion. It made me research the possibility further and now Im here believing in it. She began the chapter with the question: "Should we dismiss one’s own real-seeming experiences because some people assume that they have got to be illusions due to silly wishful thinking?" she explained that this is a subject that needs to be faced objectively, all sides need to be reviewed. She also wrote ‘we must remember Einstein’s words that all knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends with it’.

Some Prof called Margenau, who is an outstanding physicist according to Heywood, la-dee-daa, was mentioned in this chapter. He once pointed out that "science no longer contains absolute truths; there are fields which are wholly non-physical; that in ordinary perception the conversion of the physiological stimulus into a conscious response is tantamount to a miracle, and that Mach’s principle (that the inertia of all objects on the earth is determined by the total mass of the universe around it) is as mysterious as unexplained psychic phenomena". Henry Margenau just outlined what I might have tried to say earlier about the relevance of the universe in a contrast with the relevance of our afterlife.

Uh oh I've babbled. Well I look at the different sides of things, but I still believe in the Dream theory, because its more fun. Moody's findings of truth in the afterlife would completely ruin my belief, which I wouldnt mind because I'd love to see an actual meaning in life. Heywood's theories back up mine.

Sorry I didnt actually read anyone elses theories I just replied.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what the heheck does religion have to do with anything anyway???...everything u do or say or think is all from within...religion is nothing but a belief or something that is forced on u when ur born....it is not proff that anything will happen that we can't see....I mean I believe in God and stuff but that's all :/ :confused: :confused:

This is the guy who was showing off about his wonderful mind?! :P

Haha no I kid, I see exactly what youre saying and it is indeed from a strong mind, but you might have wanted to express it more clearly.

In the end, is religion even necessary? Is it even relevant at all? Is it just a filler in life, something that keeps people going while theyre still alive?

Its the third option, and it is necessary, and it is very relevant. I believe without the structure of religion this world would have collapsed eons ago. Through the dawns and un-recorded ages of times where there has probably existed far more superior beings on this earth, thousands of different religious ethos have probably existed. We're not special as humans,(Referring to an earlier post claiming we are) we're simply superior in our time, above the lions and bees. Its like saying Windelby United are superior beings, in the Orange South Div. 4 League.

Damnit whenever I talk about religion I always get lost in other things, where was I... Yeah, religion is a structure that holds civilisation together. You'd have to be crazy to look in detail at religions and how the theories and underlined points relate to science, there is an obvious correlation. Something I have believed in within my own humble theories that life is not a question of religion vs science, its a combination of the two. Religion has worked through science, most of religion of course is very in-accurate, but thats down to metaphors and misunderstandings. A possible theory, I feel, is that whatever creative force behind religion has given civilisation a small understanding of science and how the world works, and that religion controls the world through science.

Meh, everything Im saying is coming out all wrong, Im tired.

the dream theory is interesting. hmm. i believe in reincarnation, i just thought about it, and decided that when you die you're just born again, because i never really thought that a person could be dead, but still alive in spirit but not have a body exactly. since you would be dead, you would not exactly be able to LIVE after death, unless it's some weird whole other world for spirits and everything just makes sense when you die....anyone get what i'm saying?

the dream theory is interesting. hmm. i believe in reincarnation' date=' i just thought about it, and decided that when you die you're just born again, because i never really thought that a person could be dead, but still alive in spirit but not have a body exactly. since you would be dead, you would not exactly be able to LIVE after death, unless it's some weird whole other world for spirits and everything just makes sense when you die....anyone get what i'm saying?[/quote']

Are you trying to say that re-incarnation exists in a way there there is no afterlife at all, when you die it is simply from that moment a fast-track to your next life as someone else.

Y'see, I've never quite been 100% in that purest form of re-incarnation for a few reasons.

Within scientific reason, it doesnt make sense in any shape, and it couldnt ever. Like I said earlier I believe religion coincides with different parts of science, and therefore they work together. I dont see reincarnation as the working together of both science and the after life.

Also, re-incarnation is totally pointless. No single person has ever claimed, truthfully and honestly with some memories to back it up as proof, that they were a person of the past. People have had 'flashbacks' and shit, blah blah blah. Y'see, what Im trying to say is, even if people HAVE had past lifes and have flashbacks of those lives, what exactly was the point of having them if they are not remembered and recollected clearly? No real lesson has been learned. Our past memory would have been basically erased, we're starting as a new entity, theres really no point to it. We may as well have just started fresh as someone new.

So, even if reincarnation exists, its a pointless thing to happen. Its like, your whole life being a dream in the night that you didnt know happened (As we have several dreams everynight and very few of them are actually remembered). So I just hope reincarnation isnt the answer.

Hey, I have more reasons then those petty ones, my other reasons are equally as petty and un-founded, but oh well, lets have a look at reincarnation tarrot readings for a laugh, hurrah!

http://my9s.astrology.com/scripts/runisa.dll?AO.2425064:FREEPAST:1863863253:GGPAST&sky=ast_ggl|past

To be honest, with you, although some people are probably going to try and stone me because of this, but due to my large Scientific background, I have real difficulty in believe in the existance of God and therefore, I have real difficult believing in the exitance of an After Life. I look at everything, although some would argue wrongly, at at a fact basis. IF you can prove something to me with imperical date, that works mathematically etc, then I would accept it, although I would accept a theory with out any experimental evidence for example, that would be like me saying, I all sheep do hand starts on command, and then we do a little dance called the Davey dance. Statement. If I had video footage proving that, then it would be more believable.

Other than the whole, not believing in after life, the only other way you can look on whether there is an after life or not, as if someone came up to me and said, Hey, man name is Bob, but really, I am the reincarnation of Adolf Hitler, i'd say...really, how interesting. Well, there are two schools to look at, the first one being near death experiences. However, while you've got people admitting that they had near death experiences, there are floors in the fact that, a) they only started coming around in the 1900's which implicates questions over increase in intellegence - someone saying theiy had a near death experience can write a book out of it for example and make money out of it. The other reason why I think these are so invalid is due to the fact that near death experiences are subjective, can not be objectively proven. And of course, most likely the reason that person actually suffered the delusion is due to reactions to anaesthetics, as well as toxins released from certain things when someone is in hospital than can cause hallucinations - when I had septisemia, I was talking absolute random crap. Hallucinations of a wide variety can be brought on by the effect of excess dopamine in the body acting on the mesocorticolimbic system, nigrostriatal system, hippcompaus, frontal lobes etc. Glutamate receptors are also implicated in the creation of strange hallucinations.

The final reason why I am not comfortable with the idea of the afterlife is for the simple reason, if you look back at history of religion, Jewish and otherwise, the criteria for people being allowed in the afterlife has changed to suit particular eras of time. Such as when there was the wars, telling soldiers that if they die, not to worry because although their family name would die, they would live on in the afterlife. It is pretty much used in the same way today because it provides people with some sort of security that when they die, its not all over. Its a comforting idea!

anyway, thats my two cents and I probably bored you all

cheers

Im VERY tired right now so hopefully I'll be able to respond to more of Dario's ethics tomorow, but I do respect them and their as legible as mine (Im very open minded).

But Dave, why was the basis of religion set up? To deal with people and their will to live thousands of years from now? Who would have even cared what happens?

People didnt just make this crap (Religion) up out of nowhere. Jesus Christ (Who seems to be the shabbyest of religious figures) had ideals and knowledge that psychologists and geniuses today are still trying to fully comprehend, because he did make a lot of sense before anyone else of his time, and dealt with issues that have cropped up since that time and continue to deal with issues of today. Da Vinci's Bible Codes outline this (Which is ironic as it was a book that was intended mainly to dismiss Jesus and the bible). I feel that religions collectively, if you take parts from different religious ethics here and there, and tied them up all together, they would coincide with what we can distinguish as science.

It would take hundreds of lifetimes for people to study each religion and every aspect of science, but there are some examples out there.

Daaamn Im going to bed, I'll probably write more tomorow.

To think that we are, say a light bulb, get burnt out, and we snap out of existance to nothingness. All the knoledge, memories, all we acquire in our life time, all the struggle and strife, all emotions, all the hate, all that seems so important, gone in a instant.

However unlikely still a hope, of something afterwards, would be nice.