✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Anti terror law in the UK

bart

The new UK government anti terror measures of what they are trying to force though the house of commons and the lords should be rectified as soon as possible. yes some of the civil rights will go though the window. However if this can prevent a incident that would possibly kills thousands of innocent people plus have a effect on people that will be forever embedded in their memories so be it. In fact I don't even think they should have to pass laws, and these said dangerous people should be taken to Prison without trial..

What would you prefer something to happen and emergency laws passed whereas, even your own property could be seased in the event of a major terrorist attack with countless of people dead or let some lawyer who is paid by the British tax payer let someone go free who is very dangerous to national security be free to cause more terror, and possibly recruit more people. I don't believe in the setemeint in the current law that's due to Expire This Sunday would cause more

I reckon all the Tories are trying to do is make it difficult to pass this law, in the sake if anything was to happen they could blame the Labour party for not looking after National security, there counter argument for this that they would have passed the law around 15 months ago, if we remember around 15 months ago we was at the height of the Hutton enquiry.

i think the law should be, that we're able hold suspecting terrorists or people who are linked with the terrorists and any terrorist activity, for further questioning. But, the questioning should be regulated by someone, to check that it is all being done fairly. I watched a programme about a week ago..which showed of a guy in America, that was kidnapped and taken around the world, to a middle eastern country to be tortured, for information...they took him there so that it wouldn't be America that would have to deal with the consequences of kidnapping the guy and torturing him. That annoyed me a lot..and apparently it happens regularly.

I think since the 9/11 attacks..the laws have to be changed...there's no way we can stay the same...leaving this country in the same vulnerability state that America were, we should learn from it! If it happened to us...there would be a national outrage, asking what we were doing to prevent such things from happening.

i agree with you Gas_Man, it should be controlled by checks.

i saw a programme, not sure if it was the same one as you cos it was a while ago, that showed the torture in saudi arabia, that's what is going against human rights, i think that measures such as house arrest and tagging are necessary when on bail cos if these people are terrorists they need watched, then again i think that if these people hate our country so much that they should sod off to a country that they do like instead of taking advantage of the pros of this country only to plot against it. that is what i call hypocritical.

these anti-terror laws already exist here.. (Patriot Act) and all they do is keep the fear constant. Yes, our lives will never be the same since that dreadful day... but will these laws make it so that life can return to the way it was pre 9/11... no. Civil liberties do go out the window.. and at what cost! At times.. I feel that all the values that the US was built on.. go flying right out the window.

Bottom line.. we will never be the same.. and all we can do is learn to accept that. We may never be safe.. and we surely cannont go on living in fear.. if we do.. we let the terrorist win.. because thats what they do.. 'create terror'...

• 7 months later...

Hmmm after yesterdays debacle in the commons, I reckon the UK people should go on a 'March for freedom' its imperative if these laws are passed otherwise may be it we might not have no freedom. !

Also that so called party of the Tories, should be ashamed of their double standards... especially if you consider the unhealthy undertone, of their campaign in their last general election. Tony Blair is doing the right thing on this occasion.

If they were in power they would have rubber stamped such legislation, which is important to our security and the better the prevention of further terror attacks.

Over 80% of the UK population are for this.... why don't these idiots for once listen to their people, their wage payer. There is a bigger picture here for whom for once most of the people in the UK can see.... what will happen when something unspeakable happens, its not just the tragic event it self, its the fall out afterwards......... this country and its peoples will not be able to take many more events simlair to July 7 ...... and if more of these events to happen next time round, we might not be able to be pacified as before....

Message to Mr Cameron or Mr Davies.... dont let you ego get in the way of our saftey please.. the people of this country then just might, just might consider you responable enough to possible hold power. However and sad as it is I think not.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the proposed amendments to the Anti-terrorism Bill.

The state is just trying to exercise its inherent Police Power. Though it will necessarily limit the individual rights of the people, I think it just proper to promote the general welfare. In this sense, the most important is the public safety as there is already an established clear and present danger of terrorism in your country.

I don't think it will trample much on the civil liberties of the people.

Further to my comments the other day .. I can whole heatedly understand some of the lefty's in the Labour party voting against the bill that was tabled. That's what they believe in and its their morals.

However as regards the Tories voting against it... all this is to undermine Blair ... in order to force him out .... the agenda here is over all Blair is the one they are scared off. Personally I don't think Brown has the no way near the interpersonal skills that Blair has... plus he is to left wing for most of the country to bare.... giving the Tories more of a chance to make further in roads in the labour majority and eventually take power.

Tony Blair must be supported on this occasion. It might be one of his last

The problem is he is fast becoming a "lame duck" premier, and he only has himself to blame.

Nobody likes anyone who appears to be acting dictatorially..........................................it's as if the "Iron Lady" has somehow possessed TB's body!! :stunned:

at least you guys seem to be intelligent and not just follow everthing your governement says like a headless chicken. I believe the laws were not passed or there is a waiting period :huh:

Australia passed the laws without much "real" opposition :rolleyes:

That's a really interesting topic. I'm not too familiar with the act in UK (I know the basics), but the whole issue in general is interesting. The World will never be the same, but in general: is it more dangerous? Think back: there have always been wars. Now we have different wars and more common ppl get involved which is sad and wrong. Finding the balance with human rights is tricky. Putting too many restrictions is wrong, but too many freedoms can be as harmful.