✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

How has Coldplay changed our way of thinking of music?

jackled

It came to me some days ago and alyaarene, who is a member, posted a message on other topic mentioning something about it.

Before Coldplay I used to listen Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Soundgarden, Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins. I still do but not as frequently as before. Sometimes, when you are young, you think that your favorite bands will never be displaced by new ones but... :huh:

I think Coldplay were the first cool band i REALLY liked. I used to listen to boybands and garage...Im a fan of stereophonics though and have been for many years, but my mates used to take the piss out of me for listening to rock so i pretended i didnt really like it that much and just listened to what they listened to.

But then coldplay came into my life and i realised i couldnt pretend, they are just too fucking amazing...they really opened my eyes.

I never liked music that much before Coldplay came around about 4 years ago. They were the first band I ever cared about, ever wanted to see live, and ever wanted to get EVERY SINGLE THING they release.

It's weird to think that before I liked them I never even listened to anything. I had about 2 CDs. From Coldplay I got into the Beatles, then more classic rock, etc etc. But they've always been my favorite. Coldplay literally changed my life, now music is so important to me. I play the guitar and it helps me cope with a lot of things and I never would have discovered that without CP.

You folks got fooled into listening to bands that actually write melodies....something that has been severly lacking with the music industry. Thank goodness Coldplay caught on, or we'd still be listening to songs from bands with lots of talent and energy, but couldn't write a melody if their lives depended on it. :)

Sometimes' date=' when you are young, you think that your favorite bands will never be displaced by new ones but... :huh:[/quote']

I know exactly what you mean, except it was Radiohead that did it for me, not Coldplay.

Oasis were my favourite band between 1995 and 2000. Back then, I thought "There is nothing better than this. Oasis are the best band ever." I'd listen to them 24/7. I didn't want to know about any other music. How young and stupid I was.

Then I listened to Radiohead's 'The Bends' and it was the best album I'd ever heard. And then I heard 'Kid A' and I loved it even more. And then I heard 'OK Computer' and I loved it even more!

But the icing on the top of the cake was when I saw Radiohead live on Jools Holland and I was totally blown away, and it dawned on me what a waste of time it was listening to Oasis. It was like someone just punched me in the face and made me realise how completely stupid I had been. My music taste has grown up a hell of a lot since, and today Oasis sort of hover around the bottom end of my top 10.

I've never really been into boy bands until Coldplay came along. What I really love about them is that they write their own lyrics, and really seem to care about what they play.

Whenever I feel like I can't talk to anyone, I ALWAYS turn to my Coldplay cds. I think once you start really getting into Coldplay, you don't really think about turning back to the other music you used to listen to, because you realise how good music can really be.

When I started listening to Coldplay for the first time I was just amazed by how much it can change how you see the world. Maybe I'm getting a little deep int it, but I think it's true.

I used to like heavy rock bands, but once I started listening to Coldplay, I forgot about all that other stuff. I don't think the members of Coldplay realize how many people's lives they really affect with their music. :)

Music was never such a huge part of me as it is now. Before, I was a casual listener of music, fan of really bad bands like Avril Lavigne and Craig David. *shakes head* Coldplay were the band that finally turned me to not only good bands, but made music my life. I drink the stuff. It's like a drug, and if it weren't for Coldplay, I would never have discovered the wonders of music.

Thank God for that.

since I'm really into coldplay it's kinda hard for me to feel that other bands are really "good". because I always find something that I don't like when I compare them to coldplay (or oasis and travis). *g* so yeah... they've slightly changed my point of view when it comes to music.

before coldplay i used listen radio songs which were boring.but when i first listened coldplay(dont panic was the song)i completly changed.i couldnt imagine how could i live without coldplay.and then i started to listen coldplay like music(travis,oasis,etc....)and i felt this is the MUSIC.

sometimes i listen other music but i really bored them after a while and then i jsust put a coldplay cd into the player and i think:thank god :smug:

and all stuff what they do is gooood.i mean the make trade fair campagain is just coool.and they are not pompous and it is also cool because they can be.

so now i dont listen silly radio songs and i feel i find the music what is like me.

again:THANKS GOD TO GIVE US THIS FOUR PEOPLE :P :D

My first real favourite band was Red Hot Chili Peppers, and I thought they always would be. Now they're 4th lol.

Coldplay, Stereophonics, Lighthouse Family (don't ask, I grew up with this music, nothin wrong with likin' em :D) and then RHCP, and then Feeder, if you want my top 5.

RHCP still rock though. I listen to them whenever I'm energetic lol

i'll be grateful with coldplay forever... they're the ones who changed my life... they're the first band i really liked and thanks to their excelent taste in music i discovered lost of other bands that i ended up loving, first came pink floyd, then radiohead, then thanks to rh i found sigur rós, then the falming lips, then wilco, then jeff buckley, then mogwai, bob dylan, interpol, arcade fire, belle & sebastian, my bloody valentine, the smiths, the beach boys and lots of other bands that i wouldn't have known if it wasn't for COLDPLAY :) so they really changed the way i see music and life and everything...

Coldplay showed to me generally what great music really is. They were the start of my Britpop etc. hysteria. I started posting here and kept some band names I read in mind to get to know some stuff by them. so i got to Travis, The Verve, U2, Radiohead, OASIS which became one of my absolute fave bands...and I realized that I didn't like my pop stuff like Robbie Williams that much anymore. (although I still have big respect for him!)

So for one year I was the Britpop freak. Coldplay etc. and nothing else, just beautiful music that made me dream, not too hard and stuff.

When I started to play in bands, I got introduced to rockier stuff, Nirvana, Guns n Roses, Die Ärzte... I got more into rock and realized sometimes Britpop got too soft for me. I still loved it, but some stuff didn't touch me anymore like before.

Now I listen to every kind of music as long it has...meaning, sometimes also a bit Hip Hop and Reggae, I only hate stupid chart stuff, US hip Hop like 50 Cent & Nu Metal like Limp Bizkit. Metal is mostly too hard for me, but I respect these musicians. It depends on my mood what music I listen to.

My 3 fave bands are RHCP, Coldplay & Oasis. Well Oasis is a bit more 2nd position.

Before I got into Coldplay I was mainly listening to R&B and Garage. Then when Coldplay came along I started listening to rock music like The Cure, The Jam, Blur, Verve, Stereophonics, RHCP...right up to newer bands like Bloc Party, The Ordinary Boys and the Futureheads. I don't listen to R&B and Garage anymore. Coldplay showed me what I was missing!

Well, before Coldplay i didn't really care about music, and listened to stupid pop boybands, such as Five or N*sync (yes, i'm ashamed of it!). But now music is really important to me and i started to listen to a lot of other good stuff, like REM or Travis, even some of Queen...And i'll start taking guitar lessons, so they really have changed my life!