✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Another reason the Beatles will never be touched

ugadawg5

I can't believe this debate is actually being carried out. And that people are seriously arguing that Coldplay are better than the Beatles.

You know what? Maybe they're right. And while we're at it, maybe Michael Bay is a better filmmaker than Alfred Hitchcock ever was, and maybe Stephen King is a better writer than Edgar Allen Poe, and maybe Neil Simon was a better playwright than William Shakespeare. :rolleyes:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have unfortunately took the time to read this whole thread.

I am not arguing that the Beatles were not great. They were visioneries. Pioneers. And they were a great band. Commercially it will be hard to equal them. I do not think however that they were the greatest band in the world. They are not the gods of music. The only album to my mind that people mention with regularity of theirs is revolver. I am not talking about beatles fans here. But every day joes. To my knowledge people mention this album as being one of the best albums of all time. They took a seperate path to the one that was laid before them. The one that people expected them to take. The one that was the current music culture. They formed a new music culture.

But this does not mean that everything they did. All the stuff on the 7 albums that they released in 5 years is revolutionary. That everything that all other bands have ever done afterwords has already been done by the beatles. I refuse to believe this. What about great contempery albums that tell a story. Ones telling stories of a person being sent insane. Feeling like he is trapped behind a wall. What abut albums like Pinkfloyds The Wall. Or Radioheads Ok Computer. Or U2s The Joshua tree. To me the Beatles are the fathers of Pop. But there are to many great bands young and old. All that try different things. All that try to find a different sound or make another story. To many for the Beatles to be labled as the best band in the world. That Lable in my mind will never be taken. It cant be taken. Least not forever. Every few years something brilliant comes along. That lable is taken up. Then it is taken away when something else brilliant comes along.

Currently Coldplay hold this lable. They are not the best band in the world. They are the best band of current times. That which is the last 5 years. And they never will be the best band in the world. Because no band can ever be the best in the world because this title is always changing hands.

Just my 2 cents guys.

You did a pretty bad job of 'reading this entire topic' if you didnt even get the topic post.

It's Beatles vs Coldplay. There is simply no comparison. Screw what the general public think (Even though they'd agree) the Beatles have formed and shaped so many parts of music in such a short space of time, no other band (Including Coldplay) have even come close to touching on it.

On the general aspect which you went into. What do you expect from the Beatles? To have literally covered EVERY possible idea pop music could bring for the rest of time? The Beatles have had significant influences on Radiohead, Pink Floyd (Their guitarist admitted to forming most of Pink Floyd's song's from a guitar effect used in 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer'- one of the worst Beatles songs ever) and U2.

Expecting them to have written every single idea, including a man going insane behind a wall, thats being a bit nit-picky.

But thats just my 2 cents harhaahrhahr :) :) :)

You did a pretty bad job of 'reading this entire topic' if you didnt even get the topic post.

It's Beatles vs Coldplay. There is simply no comparison. Screw what the general public think (Even though they'd agree) the Beatles have formed and shaped so many parts of music in such a short space of time, no other band (Including Coldplay) have even come close to touching on it.

On the general aspect which you went into. What do you expect from the Beatles? To have literally covered EVERY possible idea pop music could bring for the rest of time? The Beatles have had significant influences on Radiohead, Pink Floyd (Their guitarist admitted to forming most of Pink Floyd's song's from a guitar effect used in 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer'- one of the worst Beatles songs ever) and U2.

Expecting them to have written every single idea, including a man going insane behind a wall, thats being a bit nit-picky.

But thats just my 2 cents harhaahrhahr :) :) :)

Im simply arguing that the comparison should not be made in the first place. I do not agree with your first paragraph Rielly. For one thing i think it is a bunch of horse shit. Your words sound like the words of a fan to me. Radiohead for one thing are more inspired by another band. The name of which illudes me. Radiohead subsequently have made it a carears work of sounding as different to Beatles as Bananas and Apples.

As for Pink Floyd. I can not speak for their influences. But i can state as fact that the moulding of the majority of their songs is not based on one of the Beatles not so good songs. Once again your words take on the form of those of a fan. And i can say the same for U2. As well as this compund the fact that the singers in these 3 bands all have stronger more moving voices...and it makes you think that maybe...just maybe The Beatles are not as good as some people, who are undoubtedly huge fans, make them out to be.

Lastly you dont seem to understand that for one being...one entity you asume much. Especially for making a comment such as you made about what the general public would think. Who are you to state openly what the general public would think? Do you know the general public? No. Do you know the peoples of Britian in her entirerity? No. Or America or any other country or even all the peoples of the whole world? No you do not. So do not make such assumptions. All you know are the thoughts going through your own mind and you percieve the thoughts going through the minds of other people you know. Or you like to believe you do. But you might find that half the people you seem to percieve. Half the people you claim to know the mind of on the subject of The Beatles actually hold a different mind. They just have not the heart to dissagree with you.

This is all i have to say on the subject Rielly. If you continue to make such silly remarks and come to such foundless assumptions then you deserve to be hung-drawn and quartered. This thread is made for 3 lots i percieve{Though i might percieve wrong} Those which are fans. Those which are angered by the words of the fans...and thosh which are the general public. I see myself as the latter. Music is there to be enjoyed for what it is. Not for people to argue and squabble over about who is inspiration to whom and which bands did which and what bands contributed to the world of music and in what ways. Because in the end this does not matter. In the end all that matters is whether you enjoy it or not.

Good day