✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The best albums of the last 60 years.

silverion

I don't really care, as best-selling albums aren't necessarily the GREATEST albums ever.

In some cases, they've just been hyped out of all proportion! :rolleyes:

Actually. I think you will find. The best selling albums of the last 60 years are not the albums that have been hyped out of all proportion.

For instance. You will be interested to know that rnb superstar Usher's "confessions" is not the highest selling album from the noughtys. This album is actually 8 in that particualr list. Crappy boyband Nsync get closer by being 6 with something like 8.7 million sales...

And talking of hype. Coldplay are not even in the list.

What do you think the highest selling albums of the last 60 years are?

I'll give you a definite top 5-ver... The BSB - Millennium! :o

Oh and probably Black & Blue as well as Backstreet's Back... :lol:

:lol: Sure as hell just couldn't resist... Talk about hype (as well as deserving in terms of talent) :lol: They're good... But 80 million albums in total? :rolleyes: Oh, and I'm sure Thriller made the list :D

I can reel some of them off, but only because I used to be a huge BSB fan and spent loads of time looking at their record-breaking stats (that band had to rely on such feats among other things for its credibility). The thing I can't shake off is, one reason that made me like Coldplay more was because they were off-mainstream... Now that they're becoming mega, why do I see another BSB-type revolution coming, exactly the thing I thought I was avoiding with Coldplay? :rolleyes: :lol:

In as far as the best albums of the last 60? That's a totally different story altogether...

When you guys have some genuine stabs at working out who the best are.

Heres a clue for you to do with the noughties.

No album has sold more then 11 million

The highest selling album of the noughties sold 10.8 million.

Bet you will never guess who it is though.

Backstreet boys are in the top 10 of the noughities. But there is no way they have sold 80 million. More like 8 million...if that

I don't really care, as best-selling albums aren't necessarily the GREATEST albums ever.

In some cases, they've just been hyped out of all proportion! :rolleyes:

Actually. I think you will find. The best selling albums of the last 60 years are not the albums that have been hyped out of all proportion.

For instance. You will be interested to know that rnb superstar Usher's "confessions" is not the highest selling album from the noughtys. This album is actually 8 in that particualr list. Crappy boyband Nsync get closer by being 6 with something like 8.7 million sales...

And talking of hype. Coldplay are not even in the list.

That's because Coldplay AREN'T hyped - their albums sell on their own merits - unlike albums by the likes of N"SICK"!! :)

Usher is extremely overrated, too!

When you guys have some genuine stabs at working out who the best are.

Heres a clue for you to do with the noughties.

Backstreet boys are in the top 10 of the noughities. But there is no way they have sold 80 million. More like 8 million...if that

About eight million more than they deserved, then!! :P

I bet Shania "Pain" is in there somewhere - she's extremely overrated, too!

"Sicky" Martin, perhaps?

Wrong. http://www.classicbands.com/bestsellers.html and http://www.infoplease.com/ipea/A0151020.html They say the biggest-selling albums in America alone was The Eagle's greatest hits at 28 million followed by MJ's thriller (26 million). BSB's Backstreet Boys and Millennium each outsold that 11 million already in the US alone.

Ok... Sorry I didn't get my facts straight... It wasn't 80 million. It was 75 million... <-- Btw, I meant 80 million in total (just as a one-liner), not for any one album. According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backstreet_Boys "The Backstreet Boys are among the top-selling artists in the SoundScan era. They have sold over 40 million albums in the U.S. alone and 75 million worldwide", making them the oh, 75th best-selling artist of all time according to Wikipedia :rolleyes: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists)

FYI, the biggest selling artists are supposed to be who else but the Beatles and Elvis Priestley, both over 1 billion albums each. :o

Btw, for the fans, Coldplay are #277 on the list at 20 million in total worldwide, tied with the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Outkast, Spandau Ballet, Hootie and the Blowfish, Shania Twain (sorry mc_squared- Rick right?) and Greenday (would you know it :lol:) among others

Wrong. http://www.classicbands.com/bestsellers.html and http://www.infoplease.com/ipea/A0151020.html They say the biggest-selling albums in America alone was The Eagle's greatest hits at 28 million followed by MJ's thriller (26 million). BSB's Backstreet Boys and Millennium each outsold that 11 million already in the US alone.

Ok... Sorry I didn't get my facts straight... It wasn't 80 million. It was 75 million... <-- Btw, I meant 80 million in total (just as a one-liner), not for any one album. According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backstreet_Boys "The Backstreet Boys are among the top-selling artists in the SoundScan era. They have sold over 40 million albums in the U.S. alone and 75 million worldwide., making them the oh, 75th best-selling artist of all time according to Wikipedia :rolleyes: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists)

FYI, the biggest selling artists are supposed to be who else but the Beatles and Elvis Priestley, both over 1 billion albums each. :o

Btw, for the fans, Coldplay are #277 on the list at 20 million in total worldwide, tied with the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Outkast, Spandau Ballet, Hootie and the Blowfish, Shania Twain (sorry mc_squared- Rick right?) and Greenday (would you know it :lol:) among others

Elvis PRIESTLEY?? :huh: I've never heard of him!! :P Do you mean JASON Priestley of Beverly Hills 90210 fame?? :P I didn't know he'd released any albums!! :D

Anyway, The Eagles are deserving of their position, and I knew "Thriller" was one of the top few (it was a good album in its day) - but how on earth can so many people buy trash like the Backstreet Boys?? :o

That beggars belief!! :P

^ Sorry... Not an Elvis fan so can't spell his name properly (I'm too young anyway :P)... Trust me on the BSB. Did you click the links? Hard to believe innit? :lol:

Well now I'll rub it in - assuming the same people bought all four BSB albums i.e. 80 million divided by four, 20 million people can't be wrong, can they? :lol: (just couldn't resist :rolleyes: )

^ Sorry... Not an Elvis fan so can't spell his name properly (I'm too young anyway :P)... Trust me on the BSB. Did you click the links? Hard to believe innit? :lol:

Well now I'll rub it in - assuming the same people bought all four BSB albums i.e. 80 million divided by four, 20 million people can't be wrong, can they? :lol: (just couldn't resist :rolleyes: )

Well it proves that 20 million people can be BRAINWASHED, that's for sure!! :P

Scientology ain't got nuthin' on that!! :D

^ MTV it is then. I'd agree. It may not be fair to place the blame squarely on them, but my country's changed so much since the five years or so that satelite TV was introduced. People are so image conscious now :( And the MTV culture is just all over the place! The sad thing is, people don't seem to realise how their views have been influenced by something as superficial as MTV.