✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay becoming over produced?

Kidney05

:/

Hey everyone,

I'm not saying coldplay is over produced yet or anything, but i've noticed that they've made so many changes since parachutes. I'm starting to miss the good ol' acoustic guitar and piano, and i'm getting tired of the wierd synths. For example, if you've heard the acoustic version of swallowed in the sea, it beats the actual version of the song by a mile. I just think coldplay should go back to their brothers and sisters/ parachutes days. What are your thoughts?

Coldplay know wher ethey started. They know and they respect it, of course. But you have to accept the fact that bands change. You have to accept A Rush of Blood and X&Y for what they are, not for what they are next to Parachutes. Parachutes was their debute, and it was a wonderful album, but they moved forward. If they made three Parachutes instead of three, seperate, entirely unique albums, they would stagnate, people would grow bored and no good would come of it. You can have too much of a good thing.

And yes, I love the acoustic versions of all their songs. They're a great acoustic band. But can you imagine Square One with out the synths? Speed of Sound with out the keyboards? Hell, even Amserdam without the distorted guitar? Or even Spies without the copper slide on the frets? Trust me, I have acoutic versions of Speed of Sound, Amsterdam and Spies they just aren't the same.

Just be glad they aren't like many bands who stick with the same thing and it leads to creative stagnation.

Old Coldplay = Awesome

New Coldplay = Awesome

Neither is better than the other. They're both great in their own ways.

Ya dig?

Very true frostbitepanda!!! especially this part:

Parachutes was their debute, and it was a wonderful album, but they moved forward. If they made three Parachutes instead of three, seperate, entirely unique albums, they would stagnate, people would grow bored and no good would come of it. You can have too much of a good thing.

I love X&Y. However, some times the songs just seem to thick. Some songs sound thick (White Shadows, Square One) but are actually pretty simple, which I enjoy a lot. However, some songs are a little overdone. What If, for example, should have stayed a piano ballad, not go all out with synth and overdriven guitar. Low is a good rock song, but there's again too much synth and orchestration. Til Kingdom Come is possibly the best song on the album. It's got that Sparks/Yellow/Green Eyes/AROBTTH beauty to it without going overboard on background noise.

There's also the bit of piano. Chris says they aren't using piano on their 4th... which is stupid; pianos are what made Coldplay popular (in the US that is). I noticed that they are straying away from using it.

On Parachutes: Don't Panic (backup), Trouble (main), We Never Change (backup), Everything's Not Lost (main)

On Rush of Blood: Politik (main), The Scientist (main), Clocks (main), Daylight (main), Warning Sign (both), AROBTTH (backup), Amsterdam (main)

On X&Y: What If (main), Fix You (backup), Speed of Sound (backup), The Hardest Part (main), Swallowed in the Sea (backup), Til Kingdom Come (backup)

Rush of Blood clearly had the most outstanding piano music, which IMO, led it to be their best album. X&Y was lacking in good piano; What If lost it's front piano to overwhelming synth and guitar, The Hardest Part isn't a popular song. If they want better albums, they need to go back to piano more.

Next, there's the deal with acoustic guitar ballads. Parachutes had Sparks, Yellow, and We Never Change. AROBTTH had Green Eyes and Rush of Blood; X&Y had A Message and Til Kingdom Come, though A Message is synth heavy at times. They need more! I don't know why they stopped doing them like they used to... they are relaxing and peaceful as well as some of their best material.

I guess that's my opinion of what they need more of. I'll have to take Chris' word that their 4th will be their best, but if it's all heavy and dark without pianos, I don't think it will be good at all.

When I first heard Clocks (my first CP song), that's what I loved about it -- the piano! I'd never heard much piano in rock songs before that. If they totally exclude the piano...

Oh, the pain. I'm just hoping that they'll make up for it in a big way.

It's funny how most fans seem to love the old coldplay songs, because i don't think they are fans of their b-sides and pre-AROBTTH material..they were just starting out and don't feel as confident about those songs compared to 'X&Y' songs.

I believe that is one of two reasons why they don't play old material that much in concerts.

I love X&Y. However, some times the songs just seem to thick. Some songs sound thick (White Shadows, Square One) but are actually pretty simple, which I enjoy a lot. However, some songs are a little overdone. What If, for example, should have stayed a piano ballad, not go all out with synth and overdriven guitar. Low is a good rock song, but there's again too much synth and orchestration. Til Kingdom Come is possibly the best song on the album. It's got that Sparks/Yellow/Green Eyes/AROBTTH beauty to it without going overboard on background noise.

There's also the bit of piano. Chris says they aren't using piano on their 4th... which is stupid; pianos are what made Coldplay popular (in the US that is). I noticed that they are straying away from using it.

On Parachutes: Don't Panic (backup), Trouble (main), We Never Change (backup), Everything's Not Lost (main)

On Rush of Blood: Politik (main), The Scientist (main), Clocks (main), Daylight (main), Warning Sign (both), AROBTTH (backup), Amsterdam (main)

On X&Y: What If (main), Fix You (backup), Speed of Sound (backup), The Hardest Part (main), Swallowed in the Sea (backup), Til Kingdom Come (backup)

Rush of Blood clearly had the most outstanding piano music, which IMO, led it to be their best album. X&Y was lacking in good piano; What If lost it's front piano to overwhelming synth and guitar, The Hardest Part isn't a popular song. If they want better albums, they need to go back to piano more.

Next, there's the deal with acoustic guitar ballads. Parachutes had Sparks, Yellow, and We Never Change. AROBTTH had Green Eyes and Rush of Blood; X&Y had A Message and Til Kingdom Come, though A Message is synth heavy at times. They need more! I don't know why they stopped doing them like they used to... they are relaxing and peaceful as well as some of their best material.

I guess that's my opinion of what they need more of. I'll have to take Chris' word that their 4th will be their best, but if it's all heavy and dark without pianos, I don't think it will be good at all.

Gah! No piano? I'm shocked and dissapointed. It's part of the reason i liek coldplay, because of the piano. I'm a pianist myself and i'm drawn to music where piano is used as a main instrument.

thanks for all the replies though, it's good to see different fews.

it's not that i don't like the songs now, it's just i think most of the songs would sound better with not as much overlay and what not.

speaking of bands and songwriters changing for the better, are any of you ben lee fans? he started out as a wierd kid writer, and he writes a better album each time. He's going reverse coldlplay, with his new album being mostly acoustic guitar stuff.